Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let me push that stool in for you: the off-topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Name recognition to get people to click into an article, I guess? People know of Guinness stew perhaps more commonly than stew-with-stout?

I've used Leann Folláin in place of Guiness when making stew and enjoyed the results previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

paid for article I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I've used Astral Grains from Lineman in place of Guinness this year, in xmas puddings. Well, my mam sent me to the offo to get a bottle of guinness and I told her I'd get something else.

When I got back from the offo she read the label and said it sounded nice, poured whatever she needed into the pudding mix and I told her to have a sip. She liked it, and said she never touches stout because she dislikes Guinness.

Astral Grains is a fabulous stout.

I'm not a fan of cooking with Guinness. While, to drink, it doesn't taste particularly bitter, when cooked, I find it's often bitter and burnt tasting.

I've probably had better results cooking with any other beer over Guinness but still, it's always Guinness in recipes and articles.

• Advertisement

Seems to be more geared toward Deliveroo et al delivering "bags of cans", but wary of what else could be snook in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A classic case of thinking that making new laws is a viable solution to poor enforcement of ones we already have. I also don't get why they've today "launched" a report which was published last March, with no new information.

The revised heads of bill(s) have been promised by the end of the month. I'm not so worried about what might be snook in, as the abolition of the extinguishment requirement being quietly snook out at the request of publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's just the next round of the war on home drinkers.

Some of those lads will deliver more than takeaways or bags of cans, though, if you get me... when drugs become easier and cheaper to get than drink, what do these Einsteins think will happen?

Life ain't always empty.

Prime example of OTT Guinness bolloxology right here:

"We want to have the best Guinness in the UK."

Er are you forgetting Northern Ireland is in the UK?

“So we’ve spent a year perfecting everything. We’ve been meticulous and careful. But I’m not sharing specifics. I can’t reveal our secrets.”

🙄

"And there lies one crucial element: the people. For all the cost and resources, a pint of Guinness cannot be purposefully poured by anyone. It is a skill, perhaps even an art form."

🙄🙄

Life ain't always empty.

In fairness, it's a good marketing angle. People will definitely choose that pub over others on the grounds that its pints are somehow sprinkled with authentic leprechaun dandruff.

• Advertisement

Visiting Ghent in a few weeks, and came across this beer shop

Their Untappd seems to be up to date with 100s of beers which is an overwhelming level of choice.

I know I want to seek out lambics / krieks / geuzes we don’t often get in Ireland, and the Trappist breweries also (I see Zundert and Tynt Meadow for example).

When you take a trip to Belgium, what beers / breweries are you actively seeking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was in Ghent several years ago, an immensely more enjoyable stay than my time in Bruge which was overrun with tourists. I couldn't tell you what I drank but there was rarely a bad beer to be had if you stuck to traditional stuff. If you aren't already aware of interesting pubs to go to then I'd recommend these 2

Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant - Lovely spot right on the water with a great selection of Belgian beers and good food.

Dulle Griet - Can be extremely busy due to their novelty footwear surrender system but an excellent selection of Belgian beers, they boast over 500.

I tend to buy pretty much everything I can get from Brasserie de la Senne. They rarely disappoint. Its arch-nemesis Brussels Beer Project makes lots of excellent beers too.

Thanks for that, both. Feel like I need a predetermined game plan before going into that shop...

A snip at £750!!!

Incidentally if you go looking for this on their Irish site you get redirected to the UK one. Even though that site says it doesn't ship anything outside the UK.

Also the cans are over £3 a pop!

And there I was thiking Nitrosurge gadget and cans are a silly price...

Life ain't always empty.

Considering the effort and expense that people go to to have draught beer at home, this seems a relatively cheap and easy setup to get that bar experience at home. I wouldn't consider it myself, but then I wouldn't consider a keg, cooler, gas and tap setup either - even if it was free!

Considering pub pints are mostly €6 plus, now, €3 doesn't seem so bad. I'm paying over €3 for 440ml craft cans.

No offence to any Guinness drinkers out there, but that's an apples and oranges comparison. Surely the apt comparison is the exact same liquid just sold in a slightly different can... which actually costs more to make but sells for a lot less

Also €3 is not £3, and if I'm drinking at home I'm paying for my own heat, light, entertainment and washing my own glasses 😉

Life ain't always empty.

My point was that compared to getting a keg, cooler, regulator, gas bottle, tap, pipes and fittings, it seems a lot less hassle and probably expense.

Slightly less mad money than a home keg setup but still mad money. At least kegs work out cheap per pint apart from the setup costs. You'd be looking at at least €3.50 a can if they sell that here.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has Beercloud announced that they've stopped selling non Dead Centre related stuff? All I can see is their range + craft soda (family connection I think) + merch.

I could drink an entire box of Marooned, but was looking at getting something more varied. I used to rotate my box orders between the different suppliers but hadn't been doing it as often; so Craft Central it is then.

• Advertisement

I had a look at their website once and the prices were ridiculous, haven't been back.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭FlicFlak

I watched the new Aquaman movie over the weekend, and Guinness definitely paid money for advertising! Theres a scene near the start where Aquaman comes into the house, goes to the fridge and theres a load of cans of Guinness draught in it. He pulls out two cans and him and the father drink them straight from the can!!

Theres more later on in the film, with proper branded glassware aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Even my 10 year old son noticed the amouunt of Guinness in the movie and asked was the movie made in Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Takes me back to the beginning of my craft beer days, seeing their faces there, reminds me of buying beers in The Pod, at a craft festival of some kind..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In the beer market, I wonder will the DRS lead to less demand for cans, and more demand for glass bottles?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Quick question, for those who keep a close eye on beer pricing.

Has the new return scheme also bumped up the price of beer sold in glass bottles... Anyone sneakily add a few cents to that range, not just the cans?

I haven't noticed price changes on any beer. Nowhere is adding the deposit to the stated sale price so there's not really an opportunity to sneak in a raise.

Then again, prices are gradually creeping up across the board anyway for obvious reasons.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Advertisement