Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

alps wrote: »
    Emailed last night and again at lunch time...no reply..

Going to let their local rep know in the morning, and let him know that if not rectified by 10am Monday., it will just have to go on their Facebook page....

If I remember, did you get sorted that way?

Ye sorted in a few minutes that way. In fairness to the rep it wasn't his fault.

When you sold the calves was it direct or through an agent

Agent collects them and brings them to their depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

How much are bb calves making at the mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

whelan2 wrote: »
    Agent collects them and brings them to their depot.

Some so call agents were buying themselves and selling to exporter to try turn more money for their own pocket.

Some so call agents were buying themselves and selling to exporter to try turn more money for their own pocket.

These would probably have been paying the farmer on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Ye sorted in a few minutes that way. In fairness to the rep it wasn't his fault.

Money in the account this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Plus interest.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

A neighbour was in new ross on Saturday morning at 7.00am. 200+ calves there before him. Drovers said his were the first "decent calves" they'd seen so far that morning. Some indictment of the rest as any black and white he'd have would be 10 plus generations of pedigree holstein from the high production end of the breed. He had a few bb in the trailer also.
    An extra week worth an extra 100 euro on B&W calves he reckoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Any word on enniscorthy mart, worth the effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Do ye all bring your own to the mart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mooooo wrote: »

Sold all autumn calves outta the yard and plan to sell all spring calves outta the yard also, have four buyers. Hard to know whether I'm better off but I don't miss the mart anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Bring all our calves to the mart here, first bunch going this week, mix of jex and frx bull calves. really need to get calves moving sheds are getting very full. I will never bring calves home from the mart.

visatorro wrote: »
    Sold all autumn calves outta the yard and plan to sell all spring calves outta the yard also, have four buyers. Hard to know whether I'm better off but I don't miss the mart anyway.

See an ad on donedeal that your calves can be collected and brought to carnaross mart, would be a handy service. Sell 90 % out of the yard here.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Any word on enniscorthy mart, worth the effort?

Non from me anyways.
    Only had 4 calves out and didn't even see them selling or any other calves selling.

As freedom said though an extra week makes a difference.
    Although it's hard to fathom some sales your best calf can make the worst price.
    Just depends who your calf lands on the merry go round.

I have a neighbour who's getting up to 180 for fr bulls in enniscorthy. Got up to 150 myself but got 80 as well.

Plus interest.....:p

I couldn't remember how much we had even agreed in them....came through at 110.. That was 3 weeks old last May......Not that we had April Calvers or anything...BRrrrrp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TBHit is as much your fault as the buyers. Mistakes happen in offices someone misplaced a docket and the person who transfers the money never sees it. TBF they seem to have resolved fast. In previous times some farmers had a habit of. It cashing cheques for months that is a pain as well for someone.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Non from me anyways.
    Only had 4 calves out and didn't even see them selling or any other calves selling.

As freedom said though an extra week makes a difference.
    Although it's hard to fathom some sales your best calf can make the worst price.
    Just depends who your calf lands on the merry go round.

I have a neighbour who's getting up to 180 for fr bulls in enniscorthy. Got up to 150 myself but got 80 as well.

What time I need to be there at?

TBHit is as much your fault as the buyers. Mistakes happen in offices someone misplaced a docket and the person who transfers the money never sees it. TBF they seem to have resolved fast. In previous times some farmers had a habit of. It cashing cheques for months that is a pain as well for someone.

Is it not a very basic mistake not to pay for something.....it shouldn't happen. Why should the farmer have to go looking for it? I wonder how many more farmers weren't paid and don't know. I rang a good few times looking for my money. It wasn't alot of money but it was my money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

At carnaross earlier
    10 day old aax bulls 230

Aax heifers 12 days old 195
    3 week old fr bull 100

2 week old HE bulls 200

yewtree wrote: »
    Bring all our calves to the mart here, first bunch going this week, mix of jex and frx bull calves. really need to get calves moving sheds are getting very full. I will never bring calves home from the mart.

Unless someone is buying from yard, haulier collects calves every Monday to take to bandon. He'd have 2 Lorries full to sell minimum even week. Like that my only instruction is not bring them back

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    What time I need to be there at?

As early as you can make it.

There could be 200 calves in the Que by 8.30.

(The dealer is starting to sound an easier proposition.) :p
    You do need the Mart to judge prices though.

What's the haulage cost and when is payment

Mart deducts it and pays haulier, all in including mart fees etc i think it comes to 18 euro. Transport prob 8 or 9 euro of it. Haven't sent anything yet this year and didn't send any last year so I think that's it. Get mart cheque then following week as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Is it not a very basic mistake not to pay for something.....it shouldn't happen. Why should the farmer have to go looking for it? I wonder how many more farmers weren't paid and don't know. I rang a good few times looking for my money. It wasn't alot of money but it was my money

Is not an even more basic mistake not to make sure you got paid for them or at least know you didn't get paid.
    Businesses send reminder notices and bills all the time. What makes farmers any different that if they haven't been paid that they shouldn't remind the buyer.

It must be great though all the same to be able to sell calves and not realise for 12 months that the money hadn't come through even if it is only a couple of calves

I didn't get paid for 3 separate lots of calves. Payment was to be within ten days of calves going ,as it always had been before.. All 3lots went with in that ten days. Paid a month after first lot went. I was relying on the money to pay someone so I was on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭High bike

What would 3 week old limo x br fr. heifer calves be worth ex yard nice square calves by ai bull????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

These would probably have been paying the farmer on the day.

One guy wasn’t and pocketed the money as he had a drink problem and the exporter had to clean up after him.

Is not an even more basic mistake not to make sure you got paid for them or at least know you didn't get paid.
    Businesses send reminder notices and bills all the time. What makes farmers any different that if they haven't been paid that they shouldn't remind the buyer.

It must be great though all the same to be able to sell calves and not realise for 12 months that the money hadn't come through even if it is only a couple of calves

Poor system there. Payments come sporadically, not in date order, and a pain in the hole if you have to be searching statements to see if each group of calves has been paid for. Even if they issued an advise, by text, by email, by post, that payment had been issued, you would have some record trail of what had been paid for and what was outstanding..

Plenty other buyers, many who pay on the day..

Too many stories of farmers missing payments....thats sloppy business, and won't keep custom...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mart deducts it and pays haulier, all in including mart fees etc i think it comes to 18 euro. Transport prob 8 or 9 euro of it. Haven't sent anything yet this year and didn't send any last year so I think that's it. Get mart cheque then following week as normal
    A fella takes what dosent sell at home,handy job as you can keep moving them on even in small nimbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

From April calves will have to be at least 10 days before they can be sold either through the mart or farm to farm. That means calves going to the mart sill on aerage be at least 14 days old

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement