Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End for Youghal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

really what it boils down to is rail fans wanting to re-open a line for no better reason than it's there. A decent suburban system on the existing line to Mallow with extra stops would be a better investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

tabbey wrote: »
    It would be crazy and criminal to abandon such a good alignment.

It might not reopen for ten or twenty years, but Iam sure it will be found necessary in the long term.

As road traffic on the N25 increases each year and has no additional capacity on the Lower Glanmire Road, the rail alternative becomes inevitable. One solution would be to make the large carparks at Midleton and Carrigtwohill available to commuters, rather than continuing to price them out of use. But this will be inadequate in the long term.

Although off-topic, the continuing policy of charging for use of carparks in non-commercial locations, is counter productive to attracting commuters to rail. Gormanston, Co Meath, is a classic case. About six or ten motorists park in the official carpark, which has nearly two hundred spaces. Typically 18 - 20 park on the narrow approach road, to avoid the charges.
    These carparks were provided at the expense of the Irish and EU taxpayers. Charging excessive fees to use them, meant they were a waste of money.

IE have ceased car park charges on some of the cobh and midleton line stations.

Isambard wrote: »
    really what it boils down to is rail fans wanting to re-open a line for no better reason than it's there. A decent suburban system on the existing line to Mallow with extra stops would be a better investment.

And yummy mummies and MAMILs wanting a greenway for the very same reason. ..because it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well they've opened it as far as Middleton and that's doing well as far as I could see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

100 people at a meeting on reopening the railway to Youghal on the 14th including Green Party's Eamon Ryan

https://soundcloud.com/opinionline96/2018-05-15-saving-the-lough-warnings-ignored-on-cervical-check-more

Discussion starts at 1:53:00 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That was some piece of bs.

First Eamonn Ryan leader of the party who were part of the government that axed the Waterford/Rosslare Strand line waffling about nothing, and then Tony Harper an ancient historian who had clearly never been on the Youghal line who thought there were no tunnels on the route. He did al least describe it as not a very exciting route for a greenway - it is indeed straight, flat and boring between Midleton and Youghal. However, it was comical for him to say that the people of Youghal would be worried about the economics of the route if reopened. Why on earth would they as it would be subsidised from Central government not the ratepayers. He then rambled off by saying that if somebody got a train in Youghal to Kent station they would have to change to some other form of transport to get to Ballincollig.....

Dear God, it's usually the pro-rail lobby who wheel out barely coherent people to front their cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes it's straight and flat between youghal and Midleton, but it's not boring.. The East cork countryside that it passes through is gorgeous...
    Flat for cycle ways is perfect.. It doesn't pass through many towns but quite close to a number, and ends at the beach in youghal...
    It wouldn't be beyond the bounds of imagination to link it to a coastal cycle way to dungarvan (especially if there was a boat across from youghal)...
    There's a possibility of the line being reopened in 20 or 30 years.... It's be a waste not to use it till them...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

People on this radio piece are under the impression that rail line needs to pay for itself somehow, which doesn't really happen with public transport in this country anyway. I don't see why a historian has to be trotted out as an 'expert' either. I'm sure there are better and more well-informed people out there for commentary.

Think it either stands or falls on how badly Youghal people and their representatives want it back.

People on this radio piece are under the impression that rail line needs to pay for itself somehow, which doesn't really happen with public transport in this country anyway. I don't see why a historian has to be trotted out as an 'expert' either. I'm sure there are better and more well-informed people out there for commentary.

Think it either stands or falls on how badly Youghal people and their representatives want it back.

only 100 people at the meeting rather suggests they aren't too bothered.

I think the caller who wanted the road improved instead of a railway is telling.

Youghal has a sense of apathy about the place. Peeling paint, dereliction and empty units but a seafront and historic buildings other towns would kill for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The 'poor' turnout is hardly surprising given the amount of hot air about reopening the line over the decades. The local politicians and Cork planners are a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Markcheese wrote: »
    Yes it's straight and flat between youghal and Midleton, but it's not boring.. The East cork countryside that it passes through is gorgeous...
    Flat for cycle ways is perfect.. It doesn't pass through many towns but quite close to a number, and ends at the beach in youghal...
    It wouldn't be beyond the bounds of imagination to link it to a coastal cycle way to dungarvan (especially if there was a boat across from youghal)...
    There's a possibility of the line being reopened in 20 or 30 years.... It's be a waste not to use it till them...

So, if the cycle lobby gets Midleton to Youghal we'll have this happening then.

you-cant-haves-it-its-my-precious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The 'poor' turnout is hardly surprising given the amount of hot air about reopening the line over the decades.

Sure, how could they get to the meeting, they have no train service!

A bit like the West Cork delegation who arrived in Kingsbridge (Heuston) to meet the CIE chairman (and prototype for Beeching), the great and good Dr CS Andrews, (grandfather of Ryan Tubridy anda few politicos). Their mission was to convince Andrews not to close their rail system in West Cork.

Andrews asked "did you enjoy your breakfast on the train?"

An eejit replied "No, we came up in the car!"

Game, set and match to Andrews.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

A bit like the West Cork delegation who arrived in Kingsbridge (Heuston) to meet the CIE chairman (and prototype for Beeching), the great and good Dr CS Andrews, (grandfather of Ryan Tubridy anda few politicos). Their mission was to convince Andrews not to close their rail system in West Cork.

i'd imagine sadly that if they came by train he'd still have closed it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i'd imagine sadly that if they came by train he'd still have closed it.

Undoubtedly!

But it is still amazing how some "supporters" will let the side down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Didn't happen quite like that but the sentiments were the same. He welcomed them in and asked for their tickets so he could upgrade them to first class for the trip home. It was then that one of them quipped that they drove up to Dublin; case dismissed.

Didn't happen quite like that but the sentiments were the same. He welcomed them in and asked for their tickets so he could upgrade them to first class for the trip home. It was then that one of them quipped that they drove up to Dublin; case dismissed.

The moral of the story, both versions, is that Andrews recognised the hypocrisy of people talking about a service, while not using it. Andrews exploited this semi-hypocrisy to disarm the delegation's argument.

the point surely was the service wasn't suitable for anyone from west Cork wanting to travel to Dublin, It wasn't possible to do it in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Frostybrew

The moral of the story, both versions, is that Andrews recognised the hypocrisy of people talking about a service, while not using it. Andrews exploited this semi-hypocrisy to disarm the delegation's argument.

This wasn't the full story though. It wasn't possible for the West Cork delegation to use the train, as the existing CIE service wasn't timetabled to allow the delegation to travel to or from Dublin on the same day.

Effectively, they would've had to leave West Cork on a Monday, stay over night Monday night in Dublin, attend the meeting on Tuesday; and depending on the duration of the meeting, possibly have to stay overnight in Dublin Tuesday night, and finally travel by train back to Cork on Wednesday.

It was a classic example of CIE deliberately running down a service by poor timetabling as a precursor to closing the line.

Improved road connections were promised but never materialised, and West Cork to this day has very poor transport links, as it can take up to three hours to reach parts of Beara Peninsula from the city.

The line would have been very valuable today with the explosion in tourism, coupled with the possibility of developing commuter towns in Bandon, Innishannon and Halfway.

For Youghal, the best bet for opening the line would be to develop a new town and industrial zone in the Mogeely/Castlemartyr/Ladysbridge area in the longer term, with the potential to support 25,000 to 35,000 people and 10,000 to 15,000 jobs. This could be progressed in the 2030s when Midleton reaches it's target population of about 25,000. Killeagh could also be developed to a 10,000 sized town with Youghal having a similar increase.

This could tie in with full electrification and double tracking of the Cork to Midleton line, and the building of an M25 to Youghal.

It's important that the alignment is preserved until then. With the increase in population predicted over the next 30 years and the increased emphasis on the Cork Metropolitan Area, as counter balance to the Greater Dublin Area, the above is both feasible and necessary.

• Advertisement

As I've already pointed out, the plan is for Cork to expand northwards towards Blarney, and there already is a rail line there.

As I've already pointed out, the plan is for Cork to expand northwards towards Blarney, and there already is a rail line there.

Yes, this will suffice for medium term growth up to 2030. Beyond 2030 the Youghal line could be developed in the manner I've outlined.

too far out. The northern development is right on the city doorstep and already has it's rail line and a motorway in planning, there's loads of room out there for another Ballincollig. You may as well develop Macroom or Bandon as develop Youghal, it doesn't make sense to me, it's so far from the City

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

the point surely was the service wasn't suitable for anyone from west Cork wanting to travel to Dublin, It wasn't possible to do it in one day

Effectively, they would've had to leave West Cork on a Monday, stay over night Monday night in Dublin, attend the meeting on Tuesday; and depending on the duration of the meeting, possibly have to stay overnight in Dublin Tuesday night, and finally travel by train back to Cork on Wednesday.
    Frostybrew wrote:
    It was a classic example of CIE deliberately running down a service by poor timetabling as a precursor to closing the line.

In the 50's, CIE made use of a faster service from the 2600 railcars to increase the services on the West Cork from 2 to 3 return trains to Cork a day. Numbers of passengers decreased. They still could have driven to Cork or Mallow but they merely dotted the i of his point; the graves for these lines were dug by Ford and Leyland and Scannell.

too far out. The northern development is right on the city doorstep and already has it's rail line and a motorway in planning, there's loads of room out there for another Ballincollig. You may as well develop Macroom or Bandon as develop Youghal, it doesn't make sense to me, it's so far from the City

It's the corridor that you develop, an extension of the existing Cork to Midleton corridor.

Too far? Youghal to Cork is only 45 mins by car on congested roads, much less for Killeagh and Mogeely. Thats's not a long commute by any measure. A fast electrified rail service would give similar times, possibly even better.

The topography is much more suitable for large scale development than north of the city, and the existing trackbed gives it the advantage over western expansion.

It's important that both Monard and Blarney are developed in the short to medium term, but further out the topography becomes difficult.

A reopened Midleton to Youghal and a new M25 offers many new and sustainable developmental and land use long term possibilities, and should not be discounted.

I'm discounting it. Cork City Council are looking to expend the City Boundaries and any development will be within the new boundary. So many times on Boards it has been said that development needs to be concentrated on City's rather than encouraging greenfield development in commuter land. Development beyond Midleton seems a non-starter to me, developing Mallow or Mitchelstown would make more sense

I'm discounting it. Cork City Council are looking to expend the City Boundaries and any development will be within the new boundary. So many times on Boards it has been said that development needs to be concentrated on City's rather than encouraging greenfield development in commuter land. Development beyond Midleton seems a non-starter to me, developing Mallow or Mitchelstown would make more sense

Mallow's being developed anyway with a projected population of 20,000 to 25,000 which caters for urban development in that area of the county. Mitchelstown's even further out than Youghal which contradicts you're earlier point about Youghal being too far. There's also zero chance of any rail being supplied to Mitchelstown which limits it's development capacity.

I agree that brownfield development is preferable, and must be encouraged, and will be encouraged if greenfield residential commuter sites have direct fast rail commuter access to locations such as the docklands and Tivoli (the two main candidates for brownfield development). The Youghal to Cork corridor is a perfect candidate for this requirement, as a person boarding a train will have direct access to these redeveloped employment areas via rail.

It also must be stated that concentrating greenfield development into a high density corridor will limit sprawl, especially one which has potential to develop mass urban rail transit and reduce reliance on car usage.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Mitchelstown doesn't need rail, it has the M8 already and easy access in all directions by road. As a result it is effectively already closer to Cork than Youghal, not to mention it's links to Limerick and Waterford (and Dublin).

Mallow has rail and soon to have motorway, and is closer in than Youghal

Other towns that are nearer to Cork than Youghal include Bandon, Macroom and Fermoy, all of which look better bets to me.

I suspect you are just trying to justify re-opening the rail line for it's own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mitchelstown doesn't need rail, it has the M8 already and easy access in all directions by road. As a result it is effectively already closer to Cork than Youghal, not to mention it's links to Limerick and Waterford (and Dublin).

Mallow has rail and soon to have motorway, and is closer in than Youghal

Other towns that are nearer to Cork than Youghal include Bandon, Macroom and Fermoy, all of which look better bets to me.

I suspect you are just trying to justify re-opening the rail line for it's own sake.

Everywhere needs rail

• Advertisement

Everywhere needs rail

That's good, can I propose the Newmarket branch line, 45 minutes by congested road to Cork so got to be up there with Youghal when it comes to re-opening

Advertisement