Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jealous neighbours

Options
  • 08-04-2021 12:17pm

What is with jealous neighbours, every time I do something in my house my neighbour complains, I don't make noise at odd times and actually try to time it when the neighbour is not there. Another neighbour told me that my neighbour has had multiple issues with other people and neighbours. She's a big gossiper as well, very dangerous in my opion. I think she thinks the world should revolve around her.

Any experiences? I have tried the ignoring route

Comments

OSI wrote: »
    What is she complaining about and what makes you think she is jealous?

Other neighbour told me she is money obsessed and a very jealous person, wants the best house on the road. When I am doing any bit of improvements she is out complaining, threatening solicitors letters, guards etc., trying to figure out how to deal with her. I have tried the nicey nicey approach, I have tried the ignoring approach but its very hard when she is in your face whenever I start something in the house,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm afraid we still have no idea what your neighbour is actually doing?

Can you give an example of what you are doing and what they are doing in response?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Other neighbour told me she is money obsessed and a very jealous person, wants the best house on the road. When I am doing any bit of improvements she is out complaining, threatening solicitors letters, guards etc., trying to figure out how to deal with her. I have tried the nicey nicey approach, I have tried the ignoring approach but its very hard when she is in your face whenever I start something in the house,

If it was me, the next time she threatens the guards I'd just take out my phone and offer it to her and go "there you go, ring away".

Firmly on the ignore list OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

She can threaten Guards, solicitors letters etc. all she wants. If you are not doing anything wrong she's wasting her time. Just ignore any letters etc.

Next time she engages with you just tell her nicely you do not wish to speak to her again and that you will not under any circumstances try to solve the problems she is attempting to bring to you irrespective of her threats.

The problem with neighbours like her is that when you try and facilitate them they just see it as a sign of weakness and it encourages them to look for more and more. She will never be happy no matter what you do for her.

Accept the fact that you will never have a relationship with her and get on with your life. If other neighbours have had problems with her that just reinforces your course of action.

I have been down this road and its the only course of action with people like her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Next time she approaches you take out your phone and tell her she is being recorded as she is harassing you and you are building a case. If it’s on your property or on a public path she has no expectation of privacy so no GDPR concerns.

That’ll drive her mad!

Repeat as needed. Or ignore her, that’s probably easier.

• Advertisement

Cheers all, will take it on board. I know she can't do anything and its empty threats but its still tiring having to put up with it. She should be living in a detached house out the country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stop pussy footing around her, live your life, do as you please in a legal way and forget about her....

She obviously craves the attention.

Do work whether she is there or not, why wouldn't you be improving things if that's what you want, she ain't your mother so tell her to fcuk right off, if she insists on continuing the harassment then you will have no choice to go further about it.....

Video her tirades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Cheers all, will take it on board. I know she can't do anything and its empty threats but its still tiring having to put up with it. She should be living in a detached house out the country

Are you decorating in the nude or something. Can you not tell us what exactly you are doing that makes it worth her while to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

In a word, Flattery. Works every time :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Next time she approaches you take out your phone and tell her she is being recorded as she is harassing you and you are building a case. If it’s on your property or on a public path she has no expectation of privacy so no GDPR concerns.

That’ll drive her mad!

Repeat as needed. Or ignore her, that’s probably easier.

As long as you're using it to report to the Gardai and not to publish for general viewing then GDPR shouldn't be a worry here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

OP you need to provide more circumstances of the interactions. The advice can be more pointed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you rent, or own the house? If you own it, install a Ring doorbell camera, so when she comes to you to complain, it's all on video.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Fr stone here, my neighbor is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Paulzx wrote: »
    She can threaten Guards, solicitors letters etc. all she wants. If you are not doing anything wrong she's wasting her time. Just ignore any letters etc.

Next time she engages with you just tell her nicely you do not wish to speak to her again and that you will not under any circumstances try to solve the problems she is attempting to bring to you irrespective of her threats.

The problem with neighbours like her is that when you try and facilitate them they just see it as a sign of weakness and it encourages them to look for more and more. She will never be happy no matter what you do for her.

Accept the fact that you will never have a relationship with her and get on with your life. If other neighbours have had problems with her that just reinforces your course of action.

I have been down this road and its the only course of action with people like her

100% agree with this. Same thing happened with us. An enormous pain in the hoop beside us - lots of threats...solicitors and guards and all of that. A bully, short and simple. And like all bullies - they hate reason, calmness and non-engagement.....and finally standing up to them.

Got to end of my tether. Told her I wouldn’t accept her tone of language with me and if she spoke in a civilised manner to me I would engage with her. She hated that of course, threatened the same stuff again. Finally wrote a letter with the help of our solicitor which closed the issue and that was it. No engagement. No commentary. No putting up with her. Nothing. She either had to actually ring the guards or engage a solicitor abs would happily go to court. What criminal or Civil law we were breaking?....who knows?

We’re the only the only ones in the street that don’t have to put up with her, speak to her, even look at her. And every one is jealous of us. Cos everyone knows what she’s like.

It’s not fun OP. I would take the above posters advice. Be reasonable. But know your line and don’t get pushed over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

karlitob wrote: »
    100% agree with this. Same thing happened with us. An enormous pain in the hoop beside us - lots of threats...solicitors and guards and all of that. A bully, short and simple. And like all bullies - they hate reason, calmness and non-engagement.....and finally standing up to them.

Got to end of my tether. Told her I wouldn’t accept her tone of language with me and if she spoke in a civilised manner to me I would engage with her. She hated that of course, threatened the same stuff again. Finally wrote a letter with the help of our solicitor which closed the issue and that was it. No engagement. No commentary. No putting up with her. Nothing. She either had to actually ring the guards or engage a solicitor abs would happily go to court. What criminal or Civil law we were breaking?....who knows?

We’re the only the only ones in the street that don’t have to put up with her, speak to her, even look at her. And every one is jealous of us. Cos everyone knows what she’s like.

It’s not fun OP. I would take the above posters advice. Be reasonable. But know your line and don’t get pushed over it.

I could have written this. Same thing happened to us when we moved into a house two years ago. We set about making it really nice. Not over the top but smartening it up and putting our stamp on it. Others on our block haven't so much as painted their house in 20 years so it didn't go down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

my advice is ignore her, shes an idiot.
    shes a karen.
    theres no law against decorating or improving your house.maybe shes jealous because she can,t afford to do the work you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My next home improvement would be new speakers.

rightmove wrote: »
    OP you need to provide more circumstances of the interactions. The advice can be more pointed then.

Classic example, I told my builder not to make noise before 10, I respect other neighbours might not get up as early as me. He started at 10.30 with drilling etc., she went and told other neighbours we were making loads of noise from 7.30 and I am the most inconsiderate neighbour. That's just 1 mild example. Another time my builder was on the roof tapping lead and she threatened the guards as her cousin was in bed cos he was in nights. There has been loads and loads of lies to build her victim narrative.

I actually think there is an underlying mental illness that will probably get worse

riclad wrote: »
    my advice is ignore her, shes an idiot.
    shes a karen.
    theres no law against decorating or improving your house.maybe shes jealous because she can,t afford to do the work you can do.

A karen, I never thought of that.

Yeah first ever conversation I had before it went downhill, she was saying how she spent so much in 05 on the house and still in negative equity and how I was so lucky etc. Also I was getting the passive aggressive remarks about my bins and what I should do to my house, things she hadn't done in her own house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We have similar problem, we are all here 10 years or so and pretty harmonious. Polish family moved into a rental property and immediately started off about dogs barking, yes there's a good few dogs on the road and they bark the odd time, but nothing excessive. He called into me at midnight one night, rang the doorbell, saying he was just back from work and his wife said a dog was barking earlier and woke up the kid. I told him to f**k off and don't call in again and he hasn't. He's still calling in to other neighbours complaining.
    Don't give in to her nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Classic example, I told my builder not to make noise before 10, I respect other neighbours might not get up as early as me. He started at 10.30 with drilling etc., she went and told other neighbours we were making loads of noise from 7.30 and I am the most inconsiderate neighbour. That's just 1 mild example. Another time my builder was on the roof tapping lead and she threatened the guards as her cousin was in bed cos he was in nights. There has been loads and loads of lies to build her victim narrative.

I actually think there is an underlying mental illness that will probably get worse

this ^^^^, does anyone have enough legal knowledge to know if a barring order or asbo type order can be got against this person, or something to say she can't contact unless it's thru a solicitor.? it's would quieten her down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

Tell her to phuck off

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Kill her with kindness and a smile.

Sounds like a Narcissist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When did the building work take place?

I'd go out and make a point of mowing the lawn at 9am every morning to sicken her if she keeps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Do you make unecessary noise? Play music outside... Barking dogs...keep pigeons? etc...

9 times out of 10 it's noise that irks neighbours. One person's idea of acceptable noise is very different from another's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    I'd go out and make a point of mowing the lawn at 9am every morning to sicken her if she keeps it up.

Not very mature behaviour

KaneToad wrote: »
    Not very mature behaviour

Neither is hers.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Do you make unecessary noise? Play music outside... Barking dogs...keep pigeons? etc...

9 times out of 10 it's noise that irks neighbours. One person's idea of acceptable noise is very different from another's.

Did you bother to read the man's post? He clearly stated that he is a conscientious neighbour when it comes to noise etc but this lady is totally irrational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Next time she harks at you tell her that she has two choices.

A - start minding her own business

Or

B - look forward to legal proceedings for defamation as you have two statements from other neighbors regarding false allegations she made against you.

Have a couple of letters in your hand in different styles and with black lines over pretend names.

Tell her that one more false allegation to anyone will see an immediate commencement of proceedings and that you have been told you would win a case hands down get compensation of about €15,000 and she'd be liable for all the legal costs and most likely it will be in the local paper

And say that there will be no further warning.

Advertisement