Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sailing & Boating on the Telly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Donie75 wrote: »
    Americas Cup World Series starting tomorrow on Sky Sports and YouTube.
    Seriously impressive flying machines but I think the old 12 Metres were more tactical to watch.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/americas-cup/how-to-follow-americas-cup-world-series-auckland-prada-christmas-race-128853?lazyload=0

I've no interest in watching these foiling things, same as I had no interest in watching the previous gen foiling cat's. 1 mistake/bad tack/gybe and your race is pretty much over.

Bring back the 12m's and I'll watch all day long.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mcdonrob wrote: »
    I would say, yes.
    Not the crash bang wallop of Sydney-Hobart but captured the race rivalry and the labour of love quite well.
    Awww, that was lovely. If all a bit too gentle!

They remind me so much of the Glens in Dublin Bay, a whole culture all of their own.

I've no interest in watching these foiling things, same as I had no interest in watching the previous gen foiling cat's. 1 mistake/bad tack/gybe and your race is pretty much over.

Bring back the 12m's and I'll watch all day long.....

I can never get over serious (or any) racing boats with no rails :eek:

I'm kinda looking forward to this series - at least they're boats (as I recognise them), with actual sails as opposed to adapted aircraft wings. Or I think they are anyway.

Must see if there's any vintage footage from years ago and treat myself to a night of racing envy! Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can never get over serious (or any) racing boats with no rails :eek:

I'm kinda looking forward to this series - at least they're boats (as I recognise them), with actual sails as opposed to adapted aircraft wings. Or I think they are anyway.

Must see if there's any vintage footage from years ago and treat myself to a night of racing envy! Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

Loads on YouTube. I think there's some full races from 87 on there. Good documentary aswell on team new zealand for the 95 cup

Just caught some of the Prada Cup there on BBC2, and as expected the AC75’s aren’t very interesting to watch racing...

And you have to feel for the Brits who fall off the foils every time they tack, so it looks like a massive design error on their part....

Just caught some of the Prada Cup there on BBC2, and as expected the AC75’s aren’t very interesting to watch racing...

And you have to feel for the Brits who fall off the foils every time they tack, so it looks like a massive design error on their part....

This a good one, screen grab of a for sale ad for Ineos. Think the ad was pulled. It will download in pdf

https://content.sailinganarchy.com/uploads/2020/12/AC-75-AUction.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The programme airs this Thursday on RTE1 at 20:30

Thomas Mulcahy and Shirley Mullins members of the IWAI powerboat branch were asked to be contestants in this years RTÉ One Big DIY challenge with PJ Gallagher
    Our project was to renovate our little fletcher speedboat and baby proof it for Charlotte.

181912568_10157685985920047_2155016359272919165_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hIe9TrlVgv8AX9kTLoH&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d2a088ebbb43aee3b710ce462354028e&oe=60B94A71

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Maybe two boats getting restored :)

The BIG DIY Challenge sponsored by Ronseal.
    The Smyth Family (kids included) and a close friend Orla who is in our pod.
    Accepted the 10 day Challenge to restore Erisky (Westerly Centaur) back to Glory. In 2019 Erisky broke her moorings in a Gale was badly damaged heading to a salvage yard till the Smyth family decided to restore her.
    The show starts on TV this week Thursday 6th May on RTÉ ONE @ 8.30pm and runs for 6 weeks to the 10th June. Prize winners to be picked over the series.

182795642_10165528120480624_4991699654185939262_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=F1yL0y9MoPEAX_OwO7z&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=bef3cdd0ab8f076146d1ddd7f3aabd74&oe=60B91AFB

Dublin Bay Cruises getting going again going to be on The Tonight Show on Virgin after the break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

If you have Sky TV, check out “Expedition to The Edge”. It’s on DMAX and available to download. A group of people trying to sail a slightly decrepit but large ferrocement sailing boat.

Holy jaysus, I'm 15 mins into this and I'm not sure me nerves will be able for the whole thing!

Prada ad on TV over the weekend. Yer man is doing well too sail that thing on his own

• Advertisement

SailGP from Australia on this weekend - being shown multiple times on Sky Sports Mix.

Despite myself, I've gotten quite into it - with 8 boats per race, it's a lot more exciting than the AC!

Hanging in watching this, but you'd have to be putting money at this stage on them being the boat that sank!!

(No spoilers please!!)

The whole set-up and boat reminds me of nothing more than weeks spent doing dinghy courses years ago with Les Glenans on the base in Clew Bay - not quite the same level of jeopardy though 🤣

Yer man is definitely going to end up as one of these cult leaders

Either that, or stabbed by his crew!

I love the subversive cookouts below decks - I'd hate to be sleeping in those cabins after 9 months of secretly frying fish and eggs 🤢

Great crash action on day 1!!

Ben Ainsley lucky he didn't injure or kill someone. He's fairly done for Team UK's chances....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

Maiden is now on Netflix.

Looks interesting " expedition to the edge" on Discovery 3rd of July

That was on some other channel a while back - bonkers stuff!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

First episode last night....interesting (to see if they all come out alive!!!).

This promo just showed up in youtube. Hope it,ll be on Netflix here.

Is it just me, or is the audio in that video of a guy asking Carol if she ate his yogurt again?

I got as far as farting in the yoghurt, and thankfully the audio stopped. Too early for that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Untold : The Race of the Century is on Netflix. 1983 America's Cup.

It's very good.

Oh I shall be watching this.........

Herself will probably not be impressed though...

Watched it. Couldn't wait.

Brilliant. Really well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

This just about qualifies, The Onedin Line is back on TPTV on Sunday and Wednesday evenings @ 9 - available free to anyone with a satellite receiver or on a computer @ tptvencore.co.uk - free registration for UK and Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

I saw how long it was and thought gosh they dragged this one out. Nope! I was glued to it. Fascinating stuff.

Going by the reviews here it looks like I'll have to renew my Netflix subscription

I've only just cancelled mine 🙄😭

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Watched it over the weekend. Really good/riveting!

Great show alright. I read John Bertrand’s book Born to Win years ago and it’s a great story

Finally gotten around to watching Untold. Dennis Conners doesn't look healthy and has really aged

• Advertisement

Next Tuesday evening at 21:35 (August 6th) RTÉ are showing 'Around My Island' which appears to be a doc about Tom Dolan (and possibly his attempt at the Round Ireland speed record?), didn't catch the full ad, but will be worth a watch I'm sure.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

When does the Olympics Sailing coverage start?

Today at 4pm on RTÉ

Prof O’Connell will be on to cover the review the 12 races in the men’s skiff, and our prospects in teh medal race (if we've qualified).

It’s RTÉ though so you won’t see anything more than some token highlights…. and lots of ad breaks..

It you want to see the action you should subscribe to Discovery+ for €6.99 per month and you can watch any Olympic sport. Then just cancel when the games are over.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

RTÉ will be showing the men’s skiff medal race tomorrow live, scheduled for 12:43 in the afternoon.

And unfortunately RTE showed 2 abandoned races. It won't encourage them to show more. I wonder will they cover the rescheduled medal race today?

I really hope so.

Prof O'Connell said he'd be back on today to cover it..

• Advertisement

Well, that wasn't great to watch.

I really feel for the two lads. Sailed a fantastic regatta, overall. Unfortunately a massive error cost them dearly and they failed to recover. I'd say they are furious with themselves. Hopefully they can regroup and come back. Fantastic sailors! World class, literally.

it wasn't just the poor start that scuppered them…

they were just ahead or behind the Polish boat at the first mark, and the Poles managed to recover enough to finish in the mix at the end…

Poor start, poorer decisions during the race.

Over to Finn & Eve now.

Was a pity for the 2 lads. I know they went in as 2nd place but they're results over the event were a bit sporadic and inconsistent. Hopefully Eve can place well over all with an eye on 2028, she's still very young

The DSQ fecked them all together…. had it not happened I'd imagine they'd have collected a lot less than 21 points in that race..

I hope they keep going because I think they are good enough to medal.

"it wasn't just the poor start that scuppered them…"

Thought I'd covered that with "and failed to recover"

• Advertisement
Advertisement