Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathletes Are Skinny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

tunney wrote: »
    You must be fairly lean at that height and weight.

I highlighted some key words.

Complete versus compete.

Lean looking but oddly BF is low 15%.
    Wife not a fan of the look and has asked for a more muscle build, she's not a fan of carbon fiber either so what would she know.

Have stabilised my weight at 72kg for a while now, feel that when I drop weight too fast I get sick or motivation and energy levels drop. Will probably shed another kg or 2 close to IM in the next few months.

As for complete vs compete. Complete no bother, compete, if you mean everyone born on the same day/year as my birthday, then I'm a contender.

I also buy Triathlete magazine +1 to my Triathlete status.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you spend the time training to do a triathlon you deserve to be called a triathlete.

Nobody deserves anything, if I work really really hard at my job but am still **** do I deserve to be paid more? no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

mloc123 wrote: »
    Nobody deserves anything, if I work really really hard at my job but am still **** do I deserve to be paid more? no.

Well do you think its right for someone to say, sorry you're not a triathlete........sorry not skinny enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Would you be less offended if he said
    Good triathletes are skinny
    Good runners are skinny
    ?
    or
    Triathletes should be skinny
    Runners should be skinny

Well do you think its right for someone to say, sorry you're not a triathlete........sorry not skinny enough ?

Is it right? I dunno. Do I care? No.

I would certainly not consider myself one in my current fat state, I feel out of place at races and it is quite obvious I do not fit in. So if somebody told me what I already know, would it offend me? No.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Runners should be skinny

Nail on the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You made a generic statement that was wrong, i think its unfair to a lot of people who by their standards train hard to do a triathlon and then to have someone say eh you're not a triathlete you're not skinny is horse poo.

If you spend the time training to do a triathlon you deserve to be called a triathlete.

If you train so hard why ignore the big elephant in the room, methaphorically speaking.
    I was a fattie, i trained hard lost weight, both generally go hand in hand assumuing the person is not lazy and eats cr@p.
    Training hard and still being fat is a load of boll0x in fairness. Training hard is not just about the actual sessions its much more than that, the complete package.
    And the last bit i disagree with, people deserve nothing. You got to work hard at everything...not just sport either to get anywhere in life.

RayCun wrote: »
    Would you be less offended if he said
    Good triathletes are skinny
    Good runners are skinny
    ?
    or
    Runners should be skinny

1. Never said i was offended, just don't like generic statements
    2. The above is SPOT ON

If you train so hard why ignore the big elephant in the room, methaphorically speaking.
    I was a fattie, i trained hard lost weight, both generally go hand in hand assumuing the person is not lazy and eats cr@p.
    Training hard and still being fat is a load of boll0x in fairness. Training hard is not just about the actual sessions its much more than that, the complete package.
    And the last bit i disagree with, people deserve nothing. You got to work hard at everything...not just sport either to get anywhere in life.

100% agree but its a journey and that journey doesn't always start with a perfectly scuplted body. It can lead to do but to say someone shouldn't be considered a triathlete just because their journey hasn't reached a conclusion yet is wrong, my personal thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mloc123 wrote: »

Unless. Unless you work in the public service..

Yes, I know I'm ignoring my own warning about off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

100% agree but its a journey and that journey doesn't always start with a perfectly scuplted body. It can lead to do but to say someone shouldn't be considered a triathlete just because their journey hasn't reached a conclusion yet is wrong, my personal thought.

No it does not and you are correct in saying its a journey, however i have seen numerous people fool themselves including people i have coached that never put the effort in to completing that journey!! Sometimes the habit is too hard to break and the desire to make lifestyle changes is not really there even though they pretend it is.

Threads like this that make me look at triathlon and say......nah.

I don't want to share any kind of trail, track or water with any scumbag that judges other's ability to compete on his/her physique.

What makes one scum, is how one thinks of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

best thread ever....love it...coming from a chunky 14st 5ft 10 triathlon competitor and I would like to think I compete!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't want to share any kind of trail, track or water with any scumbag that judges other's ability to compete on his/her physique.

While its been put across really badly, there is a point to whats being said here. In order to become good at triathlon (or any sport) you have to look realistically at how adapted you are physically to that sport. In running and triathlon, if you are carrying extra weight, you are not at your optimum. Its something you would do well to consider as part of an overall training approach. Why make things harder on yourself than they need to be?

Does extra weight mean you are not 'a triathlete'? No. If you're swimming, biking and running in that order, I guess you're a triathlete. After that, its all about your times, baby.

There's always something to be offended about tbh. A fast guy looks at my times and says I'm slow. *cry* A 13 hour Ironman is a waste of time. *blubber* My bum looks big in a trisuit. *waaaaah!* :D

Unless you're in the top of this game you're only racing against yourself, so who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oryx wrote: »
    In running and triathlon, if you are carrying extra weight, you are not at your optimum.

And also worth looking at the context of the OP. It wasn't someone asking if they're too fat for triathlon, it was someone who wants to do triathlon without losing upper body muscle mass. If you want to look good lifting weights, that's your choice, but it's going to slow you down as a triathlete or a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jungle jim

well said seaslacker. athletes/competitors/people who compete/complete triathlons come in all shapes and sizes. to say you can only be a triathlete if your skinny is a ridiculous [EMAIL="tossb@statement"]statement[/EMAIL], to say the best triathletes in the word are skinny would be more correct.
    To be a darts players you have to be overweight.....is this true....possibly...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

QUOTE]

I get your point I think, but this applies to any sport. If you line up on a football, hurling, whatever pitch and your opposite number is 3 stone overweight, your first thought is going to be 'Grand, I'll run the legs off this fella / lady'. Of course you judge someone's ability to compete based on their physique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

so im a triathlete ( tall and thin ) cool.. even though im finishing in the back third of the pack ... whatever people are happy with themselves is fine with me but i dont consider myself a triathlete.. if im talking to people about it then its generally " ive done a triathlon / i do triathlons " not " i am a triathlete " similarly i only played football i wasnt a footballer and im not a runner.. but i do run..
    to my mind a professional footballer can be called a footballer the rest of us just play football... similarly with triathletes.. pros semi pros sponsored guys that do it 7 days a week year in year out are triathletes..regardless of their weight..

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Runners are weak.
    Triathletes are weak.

sad but true. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

1. Never said i was offended, just don't like generic statements
    2. The above is SPOT ON

Jesus if thats you not being offended I would hate to see the hissy fit that comes from being offended.

Endurance athletes are skinny.
    That does not mean you cannot do endurance sports if you are fat. Just means the word "athlete" should probably be avoided.

• Advertisement

A journey does involve movement though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85183253&postcount=205

LOL - this all started because of one persons issues with their image of themselves, not of others.

And hate to tell you but physique is of vital importance. 4 seconds a kilo a km.

Someone carrying 20kg of lard around on their belly will be penalising themselves with an 80seconds time penalty per km. So yes physique does impact on ability to compete. However this is not a judgement but simply a fact.

No it does not and you are correct in saying its a journey, however i have seen numerous people fool themselves including people i have coached that never put the effort in to completing that journey!! Sometimes the habit is too hard to break and the desire to make lifestyle changes is not really there even though they pretend it is.

Well said !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Funny how it's less offensive to call someone a scumbag than to tell someone they're not a Triathlete.

Any endurance sportsperson at a serious level will have a certain body-shape due to the dietary and training regime they follow. If you are at that competitive level you will, ergo, be skinny.

The rest of us who go along to make up numbers, enjoy the day out, acheive personal goals, or whatever, can be whatever shape or size we want. Some may even be skinny for other reasons. But the likelyhood of a tubster finishing top ten in National Series, never mind international competition, is slim (see what I did there?)
    This isn't a judgement; its a statement of fact, like the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

So i'm not a triathlete or a runner then ?

No elvis, with all due respect you are not.

You are too fat to be either. Just because you take part in tri-athletes doesn't make you one i.e. a competitive one who's opinion matters on the subject.

I've seen plenty of people 100kg plus finishing marathons, are they runners, no!!

tunney wrote: »

Agreed ! I stated at 120Kg and am now 25Kg less, still not where i want to be yet and that journey continues.

No effort no gain.

ebixa82 wrote: »

You are too fat to be either. Just because you take part in tri-athletes doesn't make you one i.e. a competitive one who's opinion matters on the subject.

I've seen plenty of people 100kg plus finishing marathons, are they runners, no!![/QUOTE]

What are they then ? They've just "ran" a marathon........

A footballer who goes through their whole career playing at the highest level at a club but never wins anything.......they take part but never win anything so can't be called footballers then ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 boucher

Yes but you trained hard, lost weight...well done.

But you are still far from being an actual triathlete.

You are just someone who attempts, and often fails to complete races.

Trig1 wrote: »
    best thread ever....love it...coming from a chunky 14st 5ft 10 triathlon competitor and I would like to think I compete!!

No you're too fat, sell your gear and quit;)

• Advertisement

ebixa82 wrote: »

I've seen plenty of people 100kg plus finishing marathons, are they runners, no!![/QUOTE]

What are they then ? They've just "ran" a marathon........

A footballer who goes through their whole career playing at the highest level at a club but never wins anything.......they take part but never win anything so can't be called footballers then ?

A professional footballer who never wins is still a footballer.

at 100kg I seriously doubt that the marathon was run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement