Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathletes Are Skinny

Options
  • 25-07-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Runners are skinny.
    Triathletes are skinny.

I suspect that you are underestimating exactly how much weight you have to loose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Runners are skinny.
    Triathletes are skinny.

I suspect that you are underestimating exactly how much weight you have to loose.

No they aren't. Some are, some aren't.

I could say triathletes are up their own ar$e...........some are, some aren't...........its easy to spot the ones who are, they made generic statements.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In fairness elvis at the top end they all are.

Oryx wrote: »
    In fairness elvis at the top end they all are.

But to say they ALL are is a generic statement. If it was that at the top they all are thats fine but its not true.

By that i'm not a triathlete or a runner becuase i'm not skinny:rolleyes:

Perhaps next time i'm doing an event i should say that you shouldn't consider yourself a runner unless you're skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

boards.ie at its best.

But to say they ALL are is a generic statement. If it was that at the top they all are thats fine but its not true.

Perhaps next time i'm doing an event i should say that you shouldn't consider yourself a runner unless you're skinny.
    This wasn't a dig at you and you should know better than to take a tunneyism that way. But it does remain that we shave weight off our bikes and ourselves because it is a way to get faster.

• Advertisement

No runners are skinny. Triathletes are skinny.

People who do some running might be fat.
    People who do a bit of triathlon might be fat.

Some fat people might be very very sensitive about being fat too.

Utter rubbish, you say runners are skinny and then say some might be fat, don't trip up back tracking there. That's a politician's answer:rolleyes:

If as you say triathletes are skinny and at 5' 9" and 15 odd stone.......by your reckoning i'm not a triathlete or a runner. But if i do a "bit" its ok to be fat...........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I could say triathletes are up their own ar$e...........some are, some aren't...........its easy to spot the ones who are, they made generic statements.

Likewise you can spot the ones who are over weight and sensitive about it.

IMHO runners and triathletes are skinny. Others run and do triathlon.

You can consider yourself lord and creator of the universe if you want. No one can, or should, affect what you think of yourself.
    This wasn't a dig at you and you should know better than to take a tunneyism that way. But it does remain that we shave weight off our bikes and ourselves because it is a way to get faster.

I think honesty about exercise, food and weight is a good thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2180687/Why-going-gym-make-FAT.html

There's more than me that aren't the "perfect" triathlete build, look at any event. But to say that ALL triathletes and runners are skinny is just plain wrong.

No matter how anyone tries to justify it, its wrong.

Agreed the way to get faster it to drop weight AND get fitter but fat bloke here has passed out many a skinny person so skinny isn't everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Runners are skinny.
    Triathletes are skinny.

Usain bolt - 95kgs
    Craig Alexander - 70kgs

You dont have to look like ya just spent a year in Auschwitz to still do tri/running and still register in the top 20

Triathletes are skinny cause they dont do weight training.

Likewise you can spot the ones who are over weight and sensitive about it.

IMHO runners and triathletes are skinny. Others run and do triathlon.

You can consider yourself lord and creator of the universe if you want. No one can, or should, affect what you think of yourself.

I think honesty about exercise, food and weight is a good thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2180687/Why-going-gym-make-FAT.html

So i'm not a triathlete or a runner then ?

• Advertisement

Utter rubbish, you say runners are skinny and then say some might be fat, don't trip up back tracking there. That's a politician's answer:rolleyes:

If as you say triathletes are skinny and at 5' 9" and 15 odd stone.......by your reckoning i'm not a triathlete or a runner. But if i do a "bit" its ok to be fat...........

No I said runners are skinny.
    Then I said some fat people run.

One is a noun.
    One is a verb.
    There's more than me that aren't the "perfect" triathlete build, look at any event. But to say that ALL triathletes and runners are skinny is just plain wrong.

No matter how anyone tries to justify it, its wrong.

Agreed the way to get faster it to drop weight AND get fitter but fat bloke here has passed out many a skinny person so skinny isn't everything

Apples are green.

Therefore is something is green it is an apple?

Someone is skinny, therefore they are a runner? No they could be anorexic.

No I said runners are skinny.
    Then I said some fat people run.

One is a noun.
    One is a verb.

Apples are green.

Therefore is something is green it is an apple?

Someone is skinny, therefore they are a runner? No they could be anorexic.

People who play rugby are rugby players
    People who play football are footballers
    People who run are runners ( but only if they are skinny in Tunneyworld )

I feel sorry for you, i really do if the Daily Mail is what you use to prove yourself right.

dario28 wrote: »
    Usain bolt - 95kgs
    Craig Alexander - 70kgs

You dont have to look like ya just spent a year in Auschwitz to still do tri/running and still register in the top 20

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120122114857AAL37Jw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Alexander_(triathlete)

Bolt is about 7% and a sprinter.

Crowier is 150 pounds and 5 11 -puts him about 6lbs over the optimal weight for an endurance runner his height, but he is a triathlete so.......

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120122114857AAL37Jw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Alexander_(triathlete)

Bolt is about 7% and a sprinter.

Crowier is 150 pounds and 5 11 -puts him about 6lbs over the optimal weight for an endurance runner his height, but he is a triathlete so.......

Wikipedia and yahoo answers, your knowledge knows no bounds.

People who play rugby are rugby players
    People who play football are footballers
    People who run are runners ( but only if they are skinny in Tunneyworld )

I feel sorry for you, i really do if the Daily Mail is what you use to prove yourself right.

I thought a daily mail like more appropriate for you, particularly from the womens section give how sensitive you are being

Could have posted:

http://running.about.com/od/runningandweightloss/ss/commonweightlossmistakes_6.htm

or

http://m.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/do-you-overeat-after-a-hard-run

But thought the mail more appropriate.

I thought a daily mail like more appropriate for you, particularly from the womens section give how sensitive you are being

Could have posted:

http://running.about.com/od/runningandweightloss/ss/commonweightlossmistakes_6.htm

or

http://m.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/do-you-overeat-after-a-hard-run

But thought the mail more appropriate.

You still haven't answered my question. By your standards and defination am i a triathlete or a runner ?

No sorry i only read the Irish Times running section, keep an look out for my profile interview next week :)

Handbags.jpg

Handbags.jpg

Any lime green ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

dario28 wrote: »

I think there are other factors to be taken into consideration here. In particular the hours of aerobic excercise which would not particularly help weight gain. Unless you're eating wrong.

You still haven't answered my question. By your standards and defination am i a triathlete or a runner ?

No sorry i only read the Irish Times running section, keep an look out for my profile interview next week :)

What standards and definitions I apply are only applicable to myself. I'm 5 foot 10 and 13 stone. Am I a triathlete or a runner? No. I no longer embrace the lifestyle. That being said I hugely enjoy the odd bit of running and cycling and hope to do so for many years to come.

Hope the article is a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Are you a triathlete? Probably not. You are somebody that completes triathlons..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Ha , was just reading this

http://robbwolf.com/2012/09/21/10-ways-ironman-triathletes-avoid-chronic-cardio-self-destruction/

and found this

http://tri-ripped.com/

everyones problem is now solved ! love the opening paragraph

"
    As you may have noticed (especially if you watched video above) it’s pretty typical among the triathlon crowd to have tiny arms, a thin neck, a stick-like midsection, a weak body frame and even a “skinny-fat” look, with a little bit of weight in the belly and waist.
    Let’s face it – that ain’t sexy."

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Cambridge Online Dictionary
    triathlete noun [C]
    › someone who competes in a triathlon

Elsewhere:
    tri·ath·lete (tr-thlt)
    n.
    One who competes in a triathlon.

tri•ath•lete (traɪˈæθ lit)
    n.
    a competitor in a triathlon.

From a 6'2" 72kg skinny triathlete.

mrbungle wrote: »
    triathlete noun [C]

Elsewhere:
    tri·ath·lete (tr-thlt)
    n.

n.

You must be fairly lean at that height and weight.

I highlighted some key words.

Complete versus compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mrbungle wrote: »
    triathlete noun [C]

Elsewhere:
    tri·ath·lete (tr-thlt)
    n.

n.

compete yes, complete... no. But that is just IMO

What standards and definitions I apply are only applicable to myself. I'm 5 foot 10 and 13 stone. Am I a triathlete or a runner? No. I no longer embrace the lifestyle. That being said I hugely enjoy the odd bit of running and cycling and hope to do so for many years to come.

Hope the article is a good one.

I didn't ask you thought you were a triathlete.........well avoided again.

I didn't ask you thought you were a triathlete.........well avoided again.

No need to throw the doughnuts out of the chip van.

Why does it matter to you what I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

MOD HAT Sorry to break up this school yard pissing contest, but its a few miles off topic. Was there not a thrash talking thread for this kind of nonsense.

No need to throw the doughnuts out of the chip van.

Why does it matter to you what I think?

You made a generic statement that was wrong, i think its unfair to a lot of people who by their standards train hard to do a triathlon and then to have someone say eh you're not a triathlete you're not skinny is horse poo.

If you spend the time training to do a triathlon you deserve to be called a triathlete.

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    MOD HAT Sorry to break up this school yard pissing contest, but its a few miles off topic. Was there not a thrash talking thread for this kind of nonsense.

Language please;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement