Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much in debt are you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

True. Yes there is luck in the job you apply for and get, but also much work and preparation involved in being the best candidate.

I'm a cardiologist in a large international heart centre. Outside of Ireland at the moment. If you have a heart attack and get to my centre I'll do my darnedest to stent you and fix you. I'm lucky to have that job, but there was much hard work put into getting there along with a little luck.

Change may come, I hope it does in the form of me coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Debt for a holiday are you mad? .

That comment was a joke ,,, getting debt for a holiday is absolutly stupid!!!! Getting debt for a car is also stupid....

If you drive a lot for work purposes then I totally understand or can afford it but people who are on breadline!!!!!

I have my mortgage but that's less than most peoples rent ...

As a family were not super well off but theres a middle ground when it comes to buying cars...in my opinion

My car is a 131 hyundai estate , low enough miles , I bought it private for 7k and it's like brand new .... the exact same car brand new looks same for around 28k

I know even 7k is a lot but I intend keeping for 7/10 years... but difference is i bought within my means and paid straight... my last car cost 2k and i had that 4 years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

True. Yes there is luck in the job you apply for and get, but also much work and preparation involved in being the best candidate.

Frequently a bit of socio-economic luck in the background too.

You almost sound oblivious to any contributory factors other than your own inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm a cardiologist in a large international heart centre. Outside of Ireland at the moment. If you have a heart attack and get to my centre I'll do my darnedest to stent you and fix you. I'm lucky to have that job, but there was much hard work put into getting there along with a little luck.

Change may come, I hope it does in the form of me coming home.

Great job by the way, and I am sure you save many lives.

You had luck and fortune to get where you were. ie, you didn't end up having a health scare at some point in your live that forced you to change/lose your career, like some of your patients may have had.

That's the uncontrolable. That's what people mean when they say you had luck and fortune. They aren't trying to knock you.
    But it is always good to acknowledge that you (all of us) are lucky/unlucky and there's shag all you can do either way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A lot.

About $80k in credit cards (mainly caused by a last minute glitch in a house purchase) 40k in a home equity line of credit, and just under a million in mortgages. Oh, and about $35k car loan.

On the plus side, one mortgage is basically being paid off by a tenant, so that's a net increase in worth over time even before property value increases, and the credit debt, though far beyond what I'm comfortable with, is about half the annual household income, and the rates are held low by juggling card promotions. I also have a few months' reserves. We're not going on any major vacations for the next couple of years, but the long term decisions seem good. I've no problem with debt as long as there is a plan to make it work for you. Property values alone (currently 1.5m and increasing) are such to counter most of it

• Advertisement

Frequently a bit of socio-economic luck in the background too.

You almost sound oblivious to any contributory factors other than your own inputs.

Not at all. My career required massive luck starting with my parents being in a position to ensure a good education through to degree level. This alone puts me in a massively privileged group and it is something I try and give to my children and indeed other children through doing a tiny bit (well below what I should be doing to be honest)

kippy wrote: »
    Great job by the way, and I am sure you save many lives.

You had luck and fortune to get where you were. ie, you didn't end up having a health scare at some point in your live that forced you to change/lose your career, like some of your patients may have had.

That's the uncontrolable. That's what people mean when they say you had luck and fortune. They aren't trying to knock you.
    But it is always good to acknowledge that you (all of us) are lucky/unlucky and there's shag all you can do either way.

I agree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Not at all. My career required massive luck starting with my parents being in a position to ensure a good education through to degree level. This alone puts me in a massively privileged group.

That's better.

;)

Seriously, I hope everything keeps going your way. Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    yep, i think people on low income or the dole are the one's who live most sensibly...they budget themselves to every last cent

its the one's on big salaries who spend all around them and then regret it when the credit card bill needs to be paid
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Not sure about this. People on low income spend a much larger portion of their income on highly taxed vices like alcohol and tobacco.

what you on about? laddie??

1386440.main_image.jpg?strip=all

That's better.

;)

Seriously, I hope everything keeps going your way. Best of luck to you.

Thanks. I'm well aware of the swings and roundabouts of life and how utterly **** it can be when it takes a turn against you. I've been there too but thankfully it hasn't been in my professional career (which I guess is another example of luck playing out)...

i didn't mean to sound like a **** on this thread, I just wanted to make the point that sometime you can make debt work for you if you are very disciplined and careful.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Why put 3k on a credit card and then clear it ?

Intrigued

It's free credit for a month....... Might as well use the facility if you have it. Keep your own cash for as long as possible :)
    Between two personal credit cards & a company credit card I rarely use my debit cards. Credit cards cleared by direct debit 100% each month.
    I should really get rid of one of the personal ones though.... The stamp duty etc is an unnecessary cost.

Nah. My salary increases pretty substantially every year and is guaranteed to do so for many years.

Even if you get some chronic illness or disability and can't do your current job?

About 20k on a credit union loan, hangover due to 2008 financial crisis. At one point was over 30k on credit cards and 30 k other loans. Wife managed the finances and hid the credit cards from me until it was too late. Now don't have any credit cards anymore for a long time.

No mortgage, house paid off last year. No other debt. €150k in a pension,. which I started.in my 20s, now in my late 40s.

10k savings on the bank. One daughter just finishing college this year, one in transition year. 8 year old car.

Augeo wrote: »
    It's free credit for a month....... Might as well use the facility if you have it. Keep your own cash for as long as possible :)
    Between two personal credit cards & a company credit card I rarely use my debit cards. Credit cards cleared by direct debit 100% each month.
    I should really get rid of one of the personal ones though.... The stamp duty etc is an unnecessary cost.

If it was just me I would do the same, however my wife can't handle credit cards,.so it's easier for us not to have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Detest loans so have none. OP said mortgage is seperate so 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Cleared my debts, quit my job and now to shuffle this mortal coil. Taking a while to build it up though.

Not sure I understand the hate on nice new car loans.

The purpose of earning money is to spend it. It does you no good in the grave, especially if you have no heirs to worry about. The purpose of spending it, once you have dealt with the requirements of life, is to improve your enjoyment of life. Buy a better cut of steak. Get a nicer house. Go on a vacation. And, if you happen to view your car as something to be enjoyed as opposed to simply being a mechanism to get from A to B, get a nicer car.

Winning at life, for me, is measured by happiness and enjoyment, not a balance sheet.

As for the luck thing, it is true that there is much out of your hands, and some folks have to work harder than others to get to the same level. My wife grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, worked her ass off to get the first (and so far only) college degree in her extended family. In comparison I just breezed into my degree. Many of her friends did not have the same ethic and ended up in jail, still in a down part of New Jersey, and in one case, dead.

Even at that, there are decisions you can make to tilt the odds a little bit more in your favor. In my case, the best financial decision I ever made was to join the Army. Some periods of good pay with nothing to spend it on, lower interest rates on the mortgage, free college for the kid, and a pension for life.(I'm in the US). Most folks choose not to take the same route. That's fine, but one has to balance the pros and cons. By total coincidence we ran into a childhood friend of the wife (also from the wrong side of the tracks) here who she hadn't seen in 20 years. After a brief stint in jail, he had a life epiphany, and made a deliberate choice and effort to improve his lot. He's a happily married dad now, a company sergeant, with a lovely house in a good part of town.

In short, I'd say the difference isn't between who is lucky and who isn't, barring injury or illness which can't be planned for, but between who is best able to take advantage of the opportunities which luck provides. Luck is not the sole provenance of the privileged. ]

If it was just me I would do the same, however my wife can't handle credit cards,.so it's easier for us not to have any.

Ah yeah..... My girlfriend has no credit cards & doesn't want one either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

The purpose of earning money is to spend it.

Or invest it so that it makes more money until you get to the point where you don't need to work for money anymore.

Earning just to have more money to consume things is something a simpleton does.

It's the 6 year old child spending all their money on sweeties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Thankfully, absolutely no debt. But there was a time when we were drowning. No mortgage. We bought our (very modest) car new in '17 with money we saved from stopping smoking a LOT of fags. Back in 1997, I literally cut up our credit card and would never have one again. If we want something, we save for it. Debt terrifies me.

We don't have 1000s in the bank, but we don't owe one cent to anyone. And for that, I'm so very thankful.

• Advertisement

randomspud wrote: »
    Or invest it so that it makes more money until you get to the point where you don't need to work for money anymore.

Earning just to have more money to consume things is something a simpleton does.

Absolute nonsense. People like to enjoy life and part of that is buying and owning nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

1,8k in bank loan and 800 euro left in credit union loan. Both for day to day where unfortunately you can't see the rewards. Will need to get a new car on loan after clearing above as have my car 8 years and save deposit for a mortgage.

No debt, just the mortgage.. don't have much in savings either really though..going to try to sort that out next year and start putting a bit more away.. don't have a fancy car or anything..if I could stop buying books and bloody audio plug-ins I'd be elected..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Absolute nonsense. People like to enjoy life and part of that is buying and owning nice things.

I wouldn't even know where to begin spending my money on "nice things".

I have an 8 year old car that gets me from A to B the same as a brand new Merc, i own my house already, i couldn't care less about the latest phone (mine cost 50 quid i think) and i'm of the opinion that jewellery/expensive clothes/watches have zero intrinsic value.

I wouldn't even know where to begin spending my money on "nice things".

I have an 8 year old car that gets me from A to B the same as a brand new Merc, i own my house already, i couldn't care less about the latest phone (mine cost 50 quid i think) and i'm of the opinion that jewellery/expensive clothes/watches have zero intrinsic value.

Sounds pretty boring to me and to lots of others though (aside from owning your home). Most of the stuff on your list I get great enjoyment from and have a lot of interest in like new phones and tech, nice clothes, watches etc. I am also very interested in cars and they mean for more than just something to get from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Other than 200k mortgage, no debt.

So when you don't need to work for money any more, what are you going to do? Sit on the porch and continue to not spend money other than that required to buy basic food and pay taxes? Or are you going to spend money to enjoy the rest of your life?

I do plan to reach a stage in life where I won't be working. It's called retirement. Maybe you plan on retiring early, maybe say fifteen years before I do. If so, fantastic. That's a rather common attitude here in the US. However, since I have no guarantee I'll make it to fifty, let alone 65, I don't plan on living purely to accumulate wealth and not enjoy my younger years where I'm still healthy enough to climb Hyanu Pichu or fly airplanes. It would be ironic if I were to be hit by a truck the day before I retired early, with a trip to a candy factory set on day 1 of retirement, having never bought a sweetie as a kid.

None. Paid off my debt over the course of a painful two years and swore I'd never get into debt again, except for a mortgage if I ever decided to go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Zero debt bar the mortgage, which I'm overpaying to try finish it sooner.

I hate the feeling of debt and hope to avoid it completely.

There are very few things I would get into debt for, basic needs if I couldn't afford them for some reason or medical treatment and only then if there was no other option.

I do think the general attitude to debt has changed for the better since the tiger years. I only ever had small car loans in my younger years and never bought into the splurging madness thankfully.

Agreed, although the answers a couple of posters gave about debt due to multiple property investment gave me chills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My only debts are mortgages at the moment

I see no problem with reasonable loans though.

Some examples:
    1) Borrowing to renovate a property so it is useful as housing again

2) I got a car loan to afford an electric car years ago, and that has paid for itself several times over in savings at this stage.

3) Borrowing to fund further education makes good long term sense (assuming the job at the other end pays)

4) borrowing to expand a business.

Advertisement