Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much in debt are you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

No debt whatsoever. Income? €80k+

What about yourself OP?

Maybe I’m confusing you with another Boardsie but I thought you were retired? Fair play and well done either way, wouldn’t mind a few life lessons from you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Barely anyone on AH has debt and Irish household debt stands at 137.5 billion euro

AH seems disconnected with Irish life as a whole

Boards has never been representative of Irish life as a whole, although it has become moreso since it was initially set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I can't afford to be in debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I can't afford to be in debt.

yep, i think people on low income or the dole are the one's who live most sensibly...they budget themselves to every last cent

its the one's on big salaries who spend all around them and then regret it when the credit card bill needs to be paid

What I dont get about some peoples understanding about cars and debt....

My neighbor for instance is only working part time , his wife is on maternity leave with their 3rd child and she works seasonal mostly ... he goes to look for a car loan for 10k but says he cant get loan so he purchase brand new skoda Octavia on PCP and is paying €345 a month ..... his wife still has over 2 years loan on her car.

It's a bloody tin on wheels !!!!! Why hang a huge depreciating car around your neck .....

Buy a bloody cheap car and use another loan and go on a beautiful holiday somewhere hot if you want debt so badly!!!!!

Debt for a holiday are you mad? Holidays are a bit of a waste or money compared to most things but getting on debt for one so you can drive a heap of scrap tje other 51 weeks of the year? I think most would choose the new car over a week away long forgotten.

I never will get people’s issue with buying new cars or their fear of a car loan or pcp it’s all very bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

fryup wrote: »
    yep, i think people on low income or the dole are the one's who live most sensibly...they budget themselves to every last cent

its the one's on big salaries who spend all around them and then regret it when the credit card bill needs to be paid

Not sure about this. People on low income spend a much larger portion of their income on highly taxed vices like alcohol and tobacco.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Car loan, 8000 left to pay, some minor creditors for supplies on credit, but I'm good for it, nothing that won't be handled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

eviltwin wrote: »
    Thank you for saying this. Some people have no choice but to get into debt to improve their lives. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Unlike the norm here , I’ve been up to my tits in debt from greed after wasting 10 years of my life I’m nearly free . Some of it luck coupled with hard work and no waste or luxury spending (not that I ever really blew money bar a car )

My advice to anyone do without it if u haven’t in your hand bar a mortgage maybe !

I aged 20 years over it , destroyed my life wrecked a marriage , missed my younglads growing up all over greed !

I’m happy with being debt free now , I feel I’m worth a million believe it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What I dont get about some peoples understanding about cars and debt....

My neighbor for instance is only working part time , his wife is on maternity leave with their 3rd child and she works seasonal mostly ... he goes to look for a car loan for 10k but says he cant get loan so he purchase brand new skoda Octavia on PCP and is paying €345 a month ..... his wife still has over 2 years loan on her car.

It's a bloody tin on wheels !!!!! Why hang a huge depreciating car around your neck .....

Buy a bloody cheap car and use another loan and go on a beautiful holiday somewhere hot if you want debt so badly!!!!!

I drive a debt free 11 year old car. A nice way to deflate someone driving a shiny new 192 or soon, a 201 is not to say “oh I see you got a new car” but “oh I see you got a new loan”.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nothing. Love my credit card though. Put everything on it. If any month is tight just leave it and pay the few quid interest. Peoples' phobias to cards is gas. A massive tool to manage and spread the years expenditure. Also have a car on PCP. Absolutely the best thing I ever did. What a car and don't notice the repayments one way or the other.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Not sure about this. People on low income spend a much larger portion of their income on highly taxed vices like alcohol and tobacco.

Not from where I sit.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I drive a debt free 11 year old car. A nice way to deflate someone driving a shiny new 192 or soon, a 201 is not to say “oh I see you got a new car” but “oh I see you got a new loan”.

The only thing that will do is make you look like a cnut, it certainly won’t deflate anyway as they drive a nice new car.

Nothing. Love my credit card though. Put everything on it. If any month is tight just leave it and pay the few quid interest. Peoples' phobias to cards is gas. A massive tool to manage and spread the years expenditure.

Dangerous habit/trap... Give it time :/ your perspective may change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Elemonator wrote: »
    Maybe I’m confusing you with another Boardsie but I thought you were retired? Fair play and well done either way, wouldn’t mind a few life lessons from you :P

Yes, long retired. Just planned ahead for a long time, managed the pension fund well and made some good/lucky investment decisions along the way: all while moving upwards in the career and not being frivolous. But I had debts for car loans and home improvements along the way. Would do without a holiday, or save a couple of years for one, before I'd borrow towards one.

Give it time. :/ Your perspective may change.

Nah. My salary increases pretty substantially every year and is guaranteed to do so for many years. It's a fantastic tool for me at the moment and has been for many years. Also the €225 a year cash back from AIB pays all the stamp duty and any fees on any accounts I have with €150 a year left over.

Nah. My salary increases pretty substantially every year and is guaranteed to do so for many years. It's a fantastic tool for me at the moment and has been for many years. Also the €225 a year cash back from AIB pays all the stamp duty and any fees on any accounts I have with €150 a year left over for a nice steak dinner. Win win.

May it continue for you... Post back in 10 years and let us know if your luck held out.

May it continue for you... Post back in 10 years and let us know if your luck held out.

Nothing to do with luck my friend. Many many years of hard hard work and being very good at what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Nothing to do with luck my friend. Many many years of hard hard work and being very good at what I do.

Well aren’t you just great.

I am not dissing your efforts, but debt and credit cards have a way of catching up with you ...eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Debt for a holiday are you mad? Holidays are a bit of a waste or money compared to most things but getting on debt for one so you can drive a heap of scrap tje other 51 weeks of the year? I think most would choose the new car over a week away long forgotten.

I never will get people’s issue with buying new cars or their fear of a car loan or pcp it’s all very bizarre.

It all depends.
    Life is pretty short. You work 40 years on average. A week a year is 40 weeks away......

A car is a car, gets you from A to B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If people reply as car, credit and personal it might be simpler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Zero debt bar the mortgage, which I'm overpaying to try finish it sooner.

I hate the feeling of debt and hope to avoid it completely.

There are very few things I would get into debt for, basic needs if I couldn't afford them for some reason or medical treatment and only then if there was no other option.

I do think the general attitude to debt has changed for the better since the tiger years. I only ever had small car loans in my younger years and never bought into the splurging madness thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Yes, long retired. Just planned ahead for a long time, managed the pension fund well and made some good/lucky investment decisions along the way: all while moving upwards in the career and not being frivolous. But I had debts for car loans and home improvements along the way. Would do without a holiday, or save a couple of years for one, before I'd borrow towards one.

Heading towards pension land myself, though still a few years to go, it won't be 80000 or anything like it, around 30 to 40 maybe, but fair play to you sounds great.
    Just asking, no need to answer, it sounds like you were in finance yourself, perhaps government job maybe?

winter2019 wrote: »
    Well aren’t you just great.

Why thank you :)

I am not dissing your efforts, but debt and credit cards have a way of catching up with you ...eventually.

Not if you know what you're getting involved in and your salary increases substantially in a short period of time.

Although I am probably in an outlier group and it's not fair to generalise it.

To be honest I'm being a deliberate obvious **** to try and make a point. It's not debt that's the issue. It's people being stupid and biting off more than they can chew.

Not if you know what you're getting involved in and your salary increases substantially in a short period of time.

Although I am probably in an outlier group and it's not fair to generalise it.
    Life is the great generaliser, my friend. I hope your fortune continues as you expect it.

Life is the great generaliser, my friend. I hope your fortune continues as you expect it.
    It's interesting the way people assume there is some fortune or luck involved, but thank you for your well wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think a lot of people are probably being coy about admitting to any debt. Excluding mortgage, at your early and middle stages in life, especially with kids, most people are going to live with short term, cyclical debt as stuff like savings, pensions etc are not exactly liquid assets. I don't see the issue as long as it's at a sensible ratio to your income and doesn't extend into the last stage of your life.

It's interesting the way people assume there is some fortune or luck involved, but thank you for your well wishes.

There is always fortune/luck involved for each and every one of us.
    There are only so many controllables.

I guess a little but certainly that applies more in certain sectors. Yes there is luck in the job you apply for and get, but also much work and preparation involved in being the best candidate.

For get about the job or being the best candidate of any of that. A certain percentage of that is within your own control.
    It's the uncontrollables where the fortune and luck come in.

• Advertisement

It's just how life works - change is inevitable (and often swift), at the most unexpected times and in the most unexpected ways (and you will find, not always pleasant).

Advertisement