Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

No such thing as a stupid question! It's not on the graphics card, look for a port at back of your pc that has the bit of blue in it. Most new motherboards have it as standard

jYOWxgf.png

If you're running the Oculus software on your pc, go to 'add device' and it should 'test' the cable once it's plugged in and let you know if all is OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks - BUMMER though. See below pic of my room... The 10 foot cable will not work in the main area in Attic. Too short. Are all you guys on top of your PC with cable? Doesn't seem to be anyway long enough to have a roam around...?

My cable:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017COHTJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020-04-22_17-18-47.png

2020-04-22_17-21-46.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

that cable looks shorter than 3m, is that what it measures up as?!?

The old Rift cable was 4m and that was plenty long, so 3m should be loads.

From the picture that cable looks about 1.5m?

I think the issue is more how far back the PC is from the 'open space' - you'd nearly want to pull out your tower to beside the TV.

I've the 10ft Anker cable and this is ~roughly~ my play area - which is enough to move around. you don't need a ton of space for HL:A!
    https://i.imgur.com/VPiLlvn.png

(also - that's a fine desk / space you have! - love the 'white' )

mrcheez wrote: »
    that cable looks shorter than 3m, is that what it measures up as?!?

The old Rift cable was 4m and that was plenty long, so 3m should be loads.

From the picture that cable looks about 1.5m?

No its 3 meters alright, but if I;m 6 foot tall I can only stand in front of the TV with it. Bollix!

I have a dual monitor display, It would be royal pain to move it with all the HDs and cabling.

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    I think the issue is more how far back the PC is from the 'open space' - you'd nearly want to pull out your tower to beside the TV.

I've the 10ft Anker cable and this is ~roughly~ my play area - which is enough to move around. you don't need a ton of space for HL:A!
    https://i.imgur.com/VPiLlvn.png

(also - that's a fine desk / space you have! - love the 'white' )

Cheers mate. I'll have to work something out. Is there longer cables out there?

Edit: found on reddit

USB 3.0 boasts 4.8 Gbits/s as long as your cable is within the (approximate) 3 meter threshold. Anything longer and the full speed is not guaranteed. The length limitation is a small step down from USB 2.0's 5 meters.

You've always got the wireless 'Virtual Desktop' option too , just takes a bit more setup (need to setup 'Sidequest' and buy the 'virtual desktop' app on the oculus store)

If you want to dive in though, you likely have enough space in Oculus Link to get started. if you face with your back towards your pc, you'll still have a good bit of room to manevour, aim, duck, crouch etc.

Also tons of accessibility settings. in HL:A to adjust to your space. All hope not lost! (If you were to get the Rift S, you'd have the same issues re: cable length, so with Quest at least you've the fully wireless option to use all your space on other apps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I barely moved from the spot in Alyx. Most movement was just ducking and peeking out from cover on the spot, as well as picking up/throwing with my arms.

Compared to other games likes Blade & Sorcery and Boneworks(where I've had to be very careful in my tiny playspace) , I moved very little. The controls in Alyx are very well thought out.

Thanks All. Much appreciated. Moved the Rig - Thanks for tip Shlippery - Ruddy hate cable moving though!

Cable is indeed 10 Foot...

Bit more space but clean look at Desk is gone!!

Do you all stand for Alyx? or use chair?

20200422_191921.jpg

2020-04-22_19-21-21.png

I'm playing it wirelessly using Virtual Desktop and haven't gone back.

When I did play it wired I was standing but when I first got VR back in 2017 I played seated until I got my VR legs, so just try it seated first to avoid potential motion sickness.

• Advertisement

I played standing, love ducking behind cover in game, it feels so immersive!

Also, huge recommendation for Rec Room, which I tried for the first time this evening. Works on the Quest itself, and is totally free. Me and a friend set up some private rooms and had some very enjoyable games of Bowling and Laser Tag.

Would be up for setting up a room sometime if folks here were up for a bowling tournament or something?

I'm playing it wirelessly using Virtual Desktop and haven't gone back.

When I did play it wired I was standing but when I first got VR back in 2017 I played seated until I got my VR legs, so just try it seated first to avoid potential motion sickness.

Have you noticed much of a difference in Alyx between wired and wirelessly in terms of performance?

I'm setting up now but when I try to copnnect headset for link in Oculas windows app, it does not resongise it.

Do I need to setup on mobile app first?

Thanks

sticker wrote: »
    I'm setting up now but when I try to copnnect headset for link in Oculas windows app, it does not resongise it.

Do I need to setup on mobile app first?

Thanks

The steps to connect (with some troubleshooting tips) are listed here - https://support.oculus.com/525406631321134/

pasta-solo wrote: »
    The steps to connect (with some troubleshooting tips) are listed here - https://support.oculus.com/525406631321134/

Thanks - It just connected now! Going to setup Steam now!

Thanks - It just connected now! Going to setup Steam now!

Enjoy!! Try Blade & Sorcery too, with a few mods added it's so much fun!

Cheers. Do I just play out fo the box. First impression of hub etc is very good. Can I tweek GFX settings?

Cheers. Do I just play out fo the box. First impression of hub etc is very good. Can I tweek GFX settings?

For Link, each game will have its own internal graphics settings like any other PC game. But there's not a huge amount of customisation with VR games tbh. Even the difference between High and Low settings on Alyx isn't very visible. That could be due to the Quest being lower res than Index though!

Less questions, get stuck in and report back!

:pac:

Shlippery wrote: »
    Less questions, get stuck in and report back!

:pac:

Will do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I really want to play Half-LIfe Alyx, and delve into VR in general. A Quest seems to be the best option for me, but it's sold out everywhere!

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I really want to play Half-LIfe Alyx, and delve into VR in general. A Quest seems to be the best option for me, but it's sold out everywhere!

https://www.oculus.com/quest/

Just keep watching their page, it's a matter of luck really! Can use their 'stock notifier' although not sure how quick that is - it's only recently added!

Loving it so far - Just messing with Demos.. The audio seems screwed up though. When I start up the Quest at start - fine. Nut when I take off and start PC work all audio is stuck with Quest. Now no audio to Quest even when I set Quest Audio in my wondows audio settings. No audio to PC also! Does the Quest audio not play on both PC and Headset?

Going to sort this out before starting Alyx

Thanks

Loving it so far - Just messing with Demos.. The audio seems screwed up though. When I start up the Quest at start - fine. Nut when I take off and start PC work all audio is stuck with Quest. Now no audio to Quest even when I set Quest Audio in my wondows audio settings. No audio to PC also! Does the Quest audio not play on both PC and Headset?

Going to sort this out before starting Alyx

Thanks

I'd advise getting some high-quality in-ear buds and leaving them permanently plugged in (wrap the wire around the strap to keep it tidy).

Makes such a difference in Alyx as the sound depth and atmosphere is superb.

I'd advise getting some high-quality in-ear buds and leaving them permanently plugged in (wrap the wire around the strap to keep it tidy).

Makes such a difference in Alyx as the sound depth and atmosphere is superb.

Cheers - Any recommendations from experience?

Cheers - Any recommendations from experience?

I've got a set of Klipsch Image X10i's

https://www.whathifi.com/klipsch/image-x10i/review

Got em for a bargain(!) price of €110 back in 2012 but I never actually used them much till now :rolleyes:

I've got a set of Klipsch Image X10i's

https://www.whathifi.com/klipsch/image-x10i/review

Got em for a bargain(!) price of €110 back in 2012 but I never actually used them much till now :rolleyes:

Cheers. I just remembered I've a set of Jaybird X3's! - Must see if Bluetooth works with Quest...

Cheers. I just remembered I've a set of Jaybird X3's! - Must see if Bluetooth works with Quest...

unfortunately no... first thing I tried was getting my bluetooth headphones working with it.

Surprisingly bluetooth headphones don't work with my Switch Lite either.

Some design decisions baffle me :rolleyes:

unfortunately no... first thing I tried was getting my bluetooth headphones working with it.

Surprisingly bluetooth headphones don't work with my Switch Lite either.

Some design decisions baffle me :rolleyes:

I see most reviews for offical Oculus Quest IEM Headphones are really good but out of stock in offial store (surrpise!) - Ordered a set from Argos Ebay...

• Advertisement

I see most reviews for offical Oculus Quest IEM Headphones are really good but out of stock in offial store (surrpise!) - Ordered a set from Argos Ebay...

Yeah they'd be a good option especially considering you don't need to worry about long wires

Advertisement