Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,355 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Crusaders: An Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands by Dan Jones

Does exactly what it says in the title and takes you right from the beginning of the Crusades, the Reconquista of Spain, to the expulsion of the Order of St. John in Malta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have Killimg Commandatore lying about somewhere which I hope to read at some point. Have you read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I haven’t, I got a copy last Christmas but haven’t gotten around to it yet. That and ‘Hear the Wind Sing’ are the only ones of his I’ve left to read.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Read it a while back and enjoyed it. If you like Murakami, you'll like it I think, very much in familiar territory. The previous novel was a bit sub par I thought.

Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 are both worth reading imo. Not as developed as the later books and I think Murakami himself is a little dismissive of them but I like them; they're short and fun and it's interesting to see such a fascinating mind in its embryonic stages.

Shot my Halloween bolt way too early. Picked up ‘The Halloween Tree’ by Ray Bradbury but it’s a children’s book so got through it very quickly.

There’s a cartoon of it that kids might like better, the book is very “American” and there was one mistake with the characters that really bugged me when it, probably, shouldn’t.

Currently reading ‘Slow Apocalypse’ by John Varley. Decent enough so far, it’s about a TV writer who hears about an oncoming fuel crisis from a retired army guy. Someone added a chemical to the oil fields in the Middle East that solidifies oil, and renders it useless, like an petrochemical “Ice-Nine” for anyone familiar with Vonnegut. The contamination starts to spread from there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In my utterly pedantic hobby of reading history 😉 I am currently reading a book called "Fifth Sun, A new history of the Aztecs" by Camilla Townsend.

1st things 1st, incredible book with a fantastic and empathetic insight into the Aztec and central Mexican valley people. The discovery of near contemporary Aztec accounts and their translation totally reinterprets the Aztec and wider Mexican societies. I'd hand on heart recommend this book as the 1st step in unlearning everything you think you know about pre-Columbian central America.

There is a glaringly enormous gap IMO. In that the impact of the Yucatan and late Maya culture is only mentioned in passing and as a stepping stone to the Aztecs and the fall of Moctezuma.

The coastal culture in Mexico was notably different to the Aztecs and while the Aztecs were expanding control and demanding tribute. That expansion overlapped with the arrival of the Spanish and the Maya were one of the driving forces in coalescence of an anti-Aztec coalition that grew Cortez' force from 400 Europeans. To thousands of native levies too.

Yes the main golden age of Maya civilization was long past, they suffered a collapse similar to the Mediterranean bronze age collapse in @ 10th century and. The rump of Mayan civilization extant at the time of the Conquistadors puts a completely separate cultural history and kinship in play. Those differences drove much of the rapid success of the Europeans questing for Tenochtitlan. That important undercurrent of cultural tension is largely overlooked in this book and I would hope that it was done so deliberately, in the aim of a new book covering the Maya in depth.

The history, detail and knowledge imparted in this book completely torpedo long held notions. Cortez wasn't thought a god. Moctezuma wasn't in awe or frozen by inaction due to fear. Quite the opposite and the level of info that was gathered on the Spaniards is quite amazing.

Well worth a read and a real eye opener. It also given the loss of the Aztec and Maya libraries to 16th century Catholic iconoclasm...

Shines a light on how little we do know and how much we lost.

Thanks @banie01 for the overview of "Fifth Sun, A new history of the Aztecs" by Camilla Townsend, definitely sounds like something that would be right up my alley. Must invest in a copy.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I watched the movies years ago and enjoyed them, so when I came across the trilogy boxset at a reasonable price last year I snapped them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Concentration/attention span is shot to sh!t again lately, so sticking to rereads of old reliables for the duration. This week it's The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

I have some stuff of his that I haven't read before on it's way to me, so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy them by the time they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭KH25

Enjoyed the first one, second one wasn't as good but was still a decent read, and I absolutely hated the third!

• Advertisement

You don't want to read the 4th book "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" so. I've been struggling to read it for the past 4 or 5 days. Still only half way through it and I will not allow myself to move onto another book until I finish it 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭KH25

I didn’t even realise there was a 4th! Think I’ll be giving that a miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just finished Goodfellas by Nicholas Pileggi. It charts the criminal life of Henry Hill and it’s the book the movie is based on. It was excellent and hard to put down. Would absolutely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think the book is called Wiseguy there, unless you read a special reprint they released for the film or something... I have it on the way thanks, probably my fav film of all time and I always thought it was an original screenplay someone pitched to Scorsese not a book.

Post edited by Thargor on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yeah same book, just renamed after the movie came out.

Keeping with the mafia theme just started the Godfather - I’ve never seen the film so no idea of the storyline. Really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

The Dead Zone, Stephen King. Really enjoying it. I've read some of his newer stuff like Doctor Sleep, but I find his older stuff much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As a follow up to a previous post where I said I was reading through the Dune books, I've now gotten to book 5, Heretics of Dune.

I find it amusing that they keep cloning Duncan Idaho.

Post edited by Riddle101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lockdown by Peter May

I wanted to check out all the hype around the book that "predicted" the pandemic.

Plot centers around the discovering of a child's bones in a cemetery which is constructing a mass burial site for those in London that have died from the bird flu pandemic. The murder investigation uncovers a plot related to the pandemic.

I didn't particularly enjoy this book and it took me much longer than it should to read it just because I kept finding better things to do than to sit down and finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

About to start One Day , David Nicholls, its being here for months but I haven't touched it. But I know when I start I'll read like hell, so ordered The Bell Jar and Ariel by Sylvia Plath. I had a library that I used to go back to and finish/ reread books but ex used to bin them I discovered 🤬.

• Advertisement

Just finished Neil Gaiman's 1602. My first ever comic. I really enjoyed it. Dunno what to read next.

Ashamed to say that I am giving up on The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Hobbit and The LOTR trilogy but God this is an awful slog. Could only get through the first 11 chapters and it wasn't getting any better.

I can't even say that it's going in one ear and out the other because nothing at all is sticking with me. I think it would be easier to read Shakespeare given the style of language used (not a Shakespeare fan at all, the only exposure to his work that I have had was via the JC and LC).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't mean this as an insult to either but it is like reading the bible. You are essentially reading the short stories that make up the mythology of a fake world.

I had to force myself through large sections too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

It took me forever to read it years ago.

I can't even imagine if I was reading it in English now...

A other failed Silmarillion reader here, and I was absolutely OBSESSED with Tolkien back in the day. Don't feel bad.

I'm currently reading The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. It's about kids trying to hide their mutations in a puritanical post-apocalyptic world. I'm really, really enjoying it, definitely going to check out more of his stuff. He also wrote The Day of the Triffids so I'll probably go for that next.

And ‘The Midwich Cuckoos’, which was made into the film ‘Village of the Damned’.

Was a question on University Challenge there the other week. Which I got, of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Victoria 3 is coming out next year so I thought I'd give Richard J. Evans' The Pursuit of Power: Europe 1815-1914 a go to familiarise myself with the period. So far, so good. It's meaty and laden with statistics. I'd forgotten all about certain things from JC and LC History like crop rotations and industrialisation and it's more interesting than I was expecting.

If anyone has any recommendations for eighteenth century history of the UK and/or Europe I'm all ears.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭growleaves

"The Age of Voltaire: A History of Civilization in Western Europe from 1715 to 1756" by Will and Ariel Durant

This book is one of my favourites and I take it down off the shelf and re-read the opening chapters on French society regularly.

There are sections on Britain, the Germans and Switzerland as well.

It's mainly about society, art, culture, philosophy and religion at the time. A few chapters are devoted to Voltaire's life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's fantastic. Thanks. Both the Penguin History of Europe series and the History of Britain series have large eighteenth century holes in them as those books have yet to come out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭growleaves

Hope you like it.

I'm reading a novel written in eighteenth century France at the moment , "Dangerous Liaisons" by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos.

Some of the small social details are interesting. When a character is getting new shoes the cobbler calls to their house to measure their feet.

Advertisement