Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Valley Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Really needs the pedestrian entrance close to the city to be opened unless they are trying to promote driving there!

Pedestrian access to Tramore Valley Park remains restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

One of the most inaccessible public parks anywhere. It's clear that it's a car first policy with that park by the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

With them having such an issue opening up that section for pedestrian access, how long will we have to wait for the footbridge from Grange over the South link, to the park

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Grange-Tramore-Valley-Park-link-a-step-closer-4f51e0f6-8285-45b9-9290-ee4a8ea770aa-ds

Would probably be faster if I started working on it myself using lego blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

I was loving the wild grassy hillside with a few paths mowed through it, loads of wild flowers, bees, birds (even saw a pheasant) one day. Now they've cut the grass on the entire hill :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Had a first visit to the park over the weekend. Walked to Douglas and back (missed the fire) and did the full circle.

Enjoyed the route and little graduated climbs. Much less manicured than Ballincollig, for example, but nicer in its own way. More interesting views of the city.
    I took my baby and wasn't expecting not to find any benches to feed him the whole way around. Only spotted one area with seating by the car park end.
    Is there plans to install some seating or picnic benches? And also wondering, why was there wire fencing around the centre circle? Is it to keep animals in or out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'd say there are security concerns about the Half Moon Lane access.

mini5476 wrote: »
    I was loving the wild grassy hillside with a few paths mowed through it, loads of wild flowers, bees, birds (even saw a pheasant) one day. Now they've cut the grass on the entire hill :mad:

Just saw that on Twitter. Bloody hell they've made a complete mess of it. My favourite part of the park was that hill with the wild grass and flowers. It was a habitat for loads of birds and, importantly, bees. And it's been cut down. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Raconteuse wrote: »

People will also start driving down that way and poarking there. The turn onto the South Douglas Road from Half Moon Lane is not exactly suitable for heavy use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Raconteuse wrote: »

Read that months back - worries over anti social behaviour. Given that a load of plants were already uprooted, perhaps justified unless they can put in CCTV or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

The plants were uprooted at the Douglas pedestrian entrance....just for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just saw that on Twitter. Bloody hell they've made a complete mess of it. My favourite part of the park was that hill with the wild grass and flowers. It was a habitat for loads of birds and, importantly, bees. And it's been cut down. Shame.

That's how meadows work. They need to be cut once a year at this time. That's what makes them work.

That's how meadows work. They need to be cut once a year at this time. That's what makes them work.

I think you'll find that's not correct. One big cut is very poor management of a wildlife meadow. It should be cut in stages throughout the year and managed section by section to continue to provide habitat for animals and insects, many of which are still very active into September. The cuttings should be removed quickly to let the ground breathe and avoid over fertilisation. They've done neither of those things. All the grass cut in one fell swoop is poor management. This has a big impact on local wildlife.

This used to be open back in 2015 when the parkrun was being held there but now it's considered dangerous needing a gang of consultants :confused:

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1171105241821044737

opus wrote: »
    This used to be open back in 2015 when the parkrun was being held there but now it's considered dangerous needing a gang of consultants :confused:

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1171105241821044737

Most of the lane has no footpath or cycling facilities. Guaranteed someone would sue if they got hurt accessing the park that way so they must go through the motions of a full consultation on traffic management etc.

Most of the lane has no footpath or cycling facilities. Guaranteed someone would sue if they got hurt accessing the park that way so they must go through the motions of a full consultation on traffic management etc.

You're probably right, I guess this is why we can't have nice things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think you'll find that's not correct. One big cut is very poor management of a wildlife meadow. It should be cut in stages throughout the year and managed section by section to continue to provide habitat for animals and insects, many of which are still very active into September. The cuttings should be removed quickly to let the ground breathe and avoid over fertilisation. They've done neither of those things. All the grass cut in one fell swoop is poor management. This has a big impact on local wildlife.

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve, and what plants/species you're trying to encourage, (but I agree with you about just leaving the cut grass in a thick sward,)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Another little push to the council to get on with giving decent pedestrian access.

Renewed calls for access to the Tramore Valley Park

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

What's the craic with actually opening that entrance?
    Why is it not just opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

rahmalec wrote: »
    What's the craic with actually opening that entrance?
    Why is it not just opened?

AFAIK it is to do with the fact that there is no footpath or similar protected pedestrian access in Half-Moon Lane once you pass the school. However putting in a footpath may create issues for truck access to the council depot at the end.

There's also the distinct possibility that people will end up parking in the lane while accessing the park

Pushed out 'til next year :( Maybe something people in Cork South Central could bring up with the politicians who's sure to be looking for votes in the near future.

Pedestrian entrance to Tramore Valley Park not likely to open in near future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

There is some work going on near the exercise equipment that just seems to be a path that ends at the side of the link road.

Possibly a pedestrian bridge over to the blackash car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

There is some work going on near the exercise equipment that just seems to be a path that ends at the side of the link road.

Think that was put in while there was works on the side of the south link and looks like it was used for access to that.

Think that bridge has been put on the very long finger. There was also supposed to be a bridge over the N40 to link up with the wooded area around Vernon Mount. All gone quiet on that front too. This park is a bit of a disaster all round. If you don't live in Douglas you 100% need a car to access it. Farcical.

There are vague plans for the bridge to Frankfield but as for a timeframe who knows. No plans that I've heard for a bridge to the Black Ash car park. There's already a culvert under the road they could use but they claimed it wouldn't get permission. Strange that as there's already a culvert that's much longer if you take the path to Togher that starts by Harvey Normans.

Agree 100% a park that you have to drive to is terrible planning, given it took years to actually open it one might imagine consideration would have been given to access seeing as there are only three points after all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've visited the park a few times.

It'll take years before it's something worthwhile.
    Look at ballincollig regional park.. it's decades in the making, and it's fantastic.

If you're expecting something fantastic with bridges etc.. you'll be waiting a long time.

But in time.. all in its own good time.

mikeecho wrote: »
    I've visited the park a few times.

It'll take years before it's something worthwhile.
    Look at ballincollig regional park.. it's decades in the making, and it's fantastic.

If you're expecting something fantastic with bridges etc.. you'll be waiting a long time.

But in time.. all in its own good time.

In fairness we're talking about basic access to a public park, nothing fancy. A public park that necessitates having a car to access it from almost every direction is a bit of a failure in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

In fairness we're talking about basic access to a public park, nothing fancy. A public park that necessitates having a car to access it from almost every direction is a bit of a failure in my book.

This is true but I reckon a huge percentage of the users of the Regional Park do so by car, particularly at weekends. The West carpark is utter chaos, the Innishmore Park one is little better. Is TVP *that* much worse by comparison?

And given that a large number of users will continue to "drive to a walking place", is opening a second access, via Half Moon Lane, Palaceanne Lawn or Heatherton, creating a risk of those areas becoming de facto overflow carparks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Is TVP *that* much worse by comparison?

Well... yes, because it's entirely within the city!

And you can't get public transport walk or cycle there without going down the link dual carriageway or out to Douglas.

And the vast majority of people living in the city centre don't own a car.

So, yeah it is THAT much worse alright TBH.

And I say all of that as someone with a car outside the door right now: the current access to Tramore Valley Park is totally and utterly unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

What is the issue with getting the bus to Douglas and walking from there? Similar to getting a bus to Half Moon Lane or park and ride and walking there in the future really.
    If you are going there by bus, then odds are you are going for a walk or run anyway so getting there via the pathway from Douglas is part of the walk/run.
    Really not seeing the issue if you are coming to it from town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Ludo wrote: »
    What is the issue with getting the bus to Douglas and walking from there? Similar to getting a bus to Half Moon Lane or park and ride and walking there in the future really.
    If you are going there by bus, then odds are you are going for a walk or run anyway so getting there via the pathway from Douglas is part of the walk/run.
    Really not seeing the issue if you are coming to it from town.

I see what you're saying but to only have only pedestrian/cyclist entrance to a park is crazy. Half moon street is walkable from town, Douglas entrance isn't. People wouldn't be inclined to get a bus to go for a walk/run

The pedestrian bridge over the link wouldn't necessarily be for park and ride people, it would give access to those in the Togher region. The original project had another bridge linking Vernon Mount to this park. This would allow those in the Grange/Frankfield to easily access the park and even commute to work through it

Advertisement