Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quiz question?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

That's pretty cool actually. Would still rage if it came up in a pub quiz though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Who is the only player to score a goal in a World Cup final and a European Cup final in the same stadium and end up on the losing side by the same score both times?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who is the only player to score a goal in a World Cup final and a European Cup final in the same stadium and end up on the losing side by the same score both times?

Great question.

Zoltán Czibor

Lost 3-2 whilst playing and scoring one goal for Hungary against Germany in 1954 in the World Cup Final.

Lost 3-2 whilst playing and scoring one goal for Barcelona against Benfica in 1962 in the European Cup Final.

Both games in Switzerland in the Wankdorf Stadiium. (Name is not my fault!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I remember wracking my brain over it for months. It was a big competition question in I think World Soccer when I was a lad just before the Internet age!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭golfball37

That’s a fantastic question. It’s a Hungarian who played for Barcelona is my process of elimination at work? In that Benfica beat Barcelona 3-2 in Berne the same score Hungary lost to Germany in 54.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What happed at every FIFA world cup from 1930 to 1986 but has only happened twice since ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What happed at every FIFA world cup from 1930 to 1986 but has only happened twice since ?

Sat a quick guess losing semi finalists play off for third and fourth rankings

Slava Ukrainii

Sat a quick guess losing semi finalists play off for third and fourth rankings

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Both teams scored in the final?

Argentina in 1990 were the first team not to score in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

I was investigating a possible answer that wasn’t correct but yields a good question.

What has happened at every World Cup tournament except the 2006 tournament in Germany?

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    Both teams scored in the final?

Argentina in 1990 were the first team not to score in a final.

That is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

What was the biggest victory ever in a World Cup finals tournament?

dinneenp wrote: »
    I've never heard it happen but on a table quiz make the very last question of the quiz 'what was the first question in this table quiz?'

I saw very few would get it right.

I like that idea. Might throw it in myself sometime.

Could help too with another idea I've had (but have never done) - to have a round of questions where you tell people they're allowed to use their phones, but then you have ten questions where the answers are impossible or near impossible to find online.

You'd never find the answer to that one on Google........!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hungary v El Salvador I’d say. 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think Hungary 10 v 1 El Salvador in 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Hungary 10-1 El Salavdor 1982.

I remember watching that and feeling so sad for El Salvador. They were going through a Civil War at the time. As a nipper I thought life was so unfair to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Who is the famous uncle of Hubert, Deuteronomy and Louis?
    Donald Duck

Now that's a GREAT question.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Furrynorman

No, Niven was a few months before Connery's last film. Lazenby was after Connery

Wasn't it Bob Holness or William G Stewart or some other daytime tv quiz show presenter on the radio that was first to play James Bond?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Bob Holness played him for sure, pre Connery. But if I remember my QI there was someone even before that, in a radio play or something, I think. I just don't know the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Bob Holness played him for sure, pre Connery. But if I remember my QI there was someone even before that, in a radio play or something, I think. I just don't know the name.
    Bob Holness was on a radio version but there was an American live telly version too. Can't remember the actor's name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Some fella probably played him on TV or Radio we never heard about. I recall that technically at the start of filming that a stuntman did one of the first takes not Sean Connery

Slava Ukrainii

Back to the last soccer one.....10-0 for Hungary v El Salvador in 1982 is correct.

Nobody having a stab at my boxing question from a few pages back? - what did Cassius Clay change his name to on the night that he beat Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Back to the last soccer one.....10-0 for Hungary v El Salvador in 1982 is correct.

Nobody having a stab at my boxing question from a few pages back? - what did Cassius Clay change his name to on the night that he beat Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight Championship?

muhammad ali? this will clearly be incorrect :pac:

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday !

It's obviously a destress signal.

But why do we used Mayday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday !

i watched a youtube vid of captain joe explain this.

something got to do with french and english that i cant really remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

The Spirit of Ecstasy can be seen throughout the world......what exactly is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Nodster wrote: »
    The Spirit of Ecstasy can be seen throughout the world......what exactly is it?

Vodka

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

The original Spirit of Ecstasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday !

My French conjugation is rusty (and not great to begin with) but maider is the French verb to help?

Je mais
    Tu mais
    something else mais
    Nous maidez ? ?
    which can be shortened to Maidez prounounced May-day

• Advertisement

muhammad ali? this will clearly be incorrect :pac:

Yup. Incorrect. :D

Am guessing the reason others avoided it is because the "obvious" answer is so "obvious" that it simply has to be wrong, or else I wouldn't have bothered asking it in the first place.

The correct answer is Cassius X. He didn't start calling himself Mohammed Ali until about a month later.

Advertisement