Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

Not impressed with the shorts - feels cheap and the padding is probably good for rides 30 minutes or less. They are going back.

Not a patch on the grey shorts they had some 5/6 years ago. I misplaced mine and I miss it to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Has anyone tried the Muc Off No puncture inner tube sealant?
    Gets an excellent review in above review.

I bought the '2 Chain & Gears degreaser' but didn't realise you're meant to use it in conjunction with their 'Protect and Shine' product...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

dinneenp wrote: »

I bought the '2 Chain & Gears degreaser' but didn't realise you're meant to use it in conjunction with their 'Protect and Shine' product...

I'm not sure if theres any difference but that is a tire sealant review not tube sealant which is what Aldi were selling. Most mountain bikers use sealant now with no inner tubes as it provides some great benefits on larger volume tires. While people like GCN swear by it on road bikes also I'm not as convinced.

But this is a different product also or is it? I've never used tube sealant but considering the weight addition isn't too big and if it does seal up small punctures it will be a life saver. It really would depend how often you get punctures and how much you hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bronkobilly

Went to the Leixlip branch and picked up some GT85, dry lube, muc-off cleaner and two pairs of cheapo glasses.
    Not sure I even need any of the above - it's almost like an addiction.

gt85 is allways being sold in aldi even wen its not cycling craze week

mad turnip wrote: »
    I'm not sure if theres any difference but that is a tire sealant review not tube sealant which is what Aldi were selling. Most mountain bikers use sealant now with no inner tubes as it provides some great benefits on larger volume tires. While people like GCN swear by it on road bikes also I'm not as convinced.

But this is a different product also or is it? I've never used tube sealant but considering the weight addition isn't too big and if it does seal up small punctures it will be a life saver. It really would depend how often you get punctures and how much you hate them.

Got 2 punctures on both my rides in the past week so I'm going to try it.

mad turnip wrote: »

You're right. This is the one Aldi have.

It gets a good-ish review-
    Impressive sealing capabilities and long lasting, but a bit more Presta-specific compatibility would be nice
    Seals small holes quickly
    Remains liquid for a long time
    Installation tube and valve core key are Schrader specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

Aldi Terenure didn't have a lot of what I was interested in such as the wet oil, chain cleaning kit and only some of the muc off cleaning sprays. I did get a bag, shorts and gt85.

It was hard to find but they did have the chain cleaning set

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have to say the GT85 is excellent as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Jizique wrote: »
    It was hard to find but they did have the chain cleaning set

Was it with all the bike stuff or off somewhere different? I'll be back there tomorrow and maybe they'll have it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have to say the GT85 is excellent as always.

a good vintage?

• Advertisement

Was it with all the bike stuff or off somewhere different? I'll be back there tomorrow and maybe they'll have it then
    There were ere a few left in mine, so they should be around.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    a good vintage?
    Exquisite, I am no snob but I know a good lubricant/penetrant/water displacer when I get one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I bought one but my Presta valves don't have removable valve cores. I might have to seek out a specific inner tube. It works fine with Schrader but mine are all Presta.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Exquisite, I am no snob but I know a good lubricant/penetrant/water displacer when I get one.

Quickly checks that we're on the cycling forum and not the BDSM one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

For anyone interested Wexford Aldi (whitemill ind est) has chain cleaner, some muc off, gt85, glasses and baselayers

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No chain cleaners in Belgard Aldi, raging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Glasses and GT85 only in Aldi Naas. Bough a pair of glasses. I've loads of lube :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Bought some GT85...

What do people actually use it on?

jive wrote: »
    Bought some GT85...

What do people actually use it on?
    To the disgust of everyone I attach the straw and use it to blast clean and lubricate the chain on the commuter. It's really quick, handy and effective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the current crop of GT85 is a bit nose heavy but with pleasant citrus overtones; with an aftertaste of mild nausea and vomiting.

• Advertisement

Youngest was delighted when I gave her squeaky buggy wheel a blast of it this evening. Not something I'd like to get near my bike wheels and discs :D

I'm torn between the smells tough, wd40 vs gt85

Tech-7 have the best lubricant aroma. I won't even hear the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Aldi Terenure didn't have a lot of what I was interested in such as the wet oil, chain cleaning kit and only some of the muc off cleaning sprays. I did get a bag, shorts and gt85.

Agree with some of the other comments, this is horrendous stuff. I've used it for a good while on a few bikes and it just attracts dirt, I also find it hard enough to clean off when trying to do a proper job cleaning the chain and cassette, pulley wheels etc.

I probably have a good half a bottle of it left in the shed, need to check, but you're welcome to it if interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Guys is the tube sealant basically the same product as tyre sealant ?

I run tubeless on the road bike and ran out of schwalbe doc blue recently and am wondering is this an adequate replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Glad I followed this thread - thought that the bottle of the Wet Oil Muc Off I bought a year ago had somehow gone off, now I see its a design feature of the product.

Guys is the tube sealant basically the same product as tyre sealant ?

I run tubeless on the road bike and ran out of schwalbe doc blue recently and am wondering is this an adequate replacement

The manufacturers claim that its not and that it has no corrosion inhibitors that tubeless sealant has. Is this true? I don't know. I know from reading reviews you need to put more of this in a tube than you would put in an equivalent tubeless tyre, so even if you can, no way to know is it actually any value and I wouldn't risk my wheels without having seen someone else do it first. Let me know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tube sealant sounds like tyre weld to me? i.e. to seal existing punctures but not necessarily to protect against more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I don't want to be ruining my carbon hoops either ,😄Won't be trying it unless I've good reason to believe it's fine and works.

If it were fit for both I would expect that to be written all over the bottle

tube sealant sounds like tyre weld to me? i.e. to seal existing punctures but not necessarily to protect against more?
    I read reviews, it does work like tyre sealant in that it seals new punctures and seems to do an OK job if not as quick as tube sealant. It also seems to stay in liquid form (as in no dry out), which might be related to why it doesn't seal as quickly. Maybe handy on a commuter but then again, I'd just buy Schwalbe Marathons if it was that big a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

People blasting GT85 on their bikes, do ye keep them in the house afterwards? I'm not allowed, the smell is too strong apparently. Never had that complaint for any other product I've applied to the bike before...

Thargor wrote: »
    People blasting GT85 on their bikes, do ye keep them in the house afterwards? I'm not allowed, the smell is too strong apparently. Never had that complaint for any other product I've applied to the bike before...

I used some on a squeaky door hinge because it was the closest to hand, got the head eaten off me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just buy her a few candles to light afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very little in Nutgrove, some tyre sealant, some GT85, some ladies tops

dahat wrote: »
    Under Armour cold gear BL, ive not come across anything to rival these so far.

Has anyone bought from underarmour.ie since Brexit hit? Looks like they're shipping from the UK, so I'm wondering if extra charges applied?

Has anyone bought from underarmour.ie since Brexit hit? Looks like they're shipping from the UK, so I'm wondering if extra charges applied?

Lifestyle have a decent sale in UA Base layers.
    link

I have a winter BL so would be looking for non-cold one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thargor wrote: »
    Just masks my other odours...

Lifestyle have a decent sale in UA Base layers.
    link

I have a winter BL so would be looking for non-cold one.

Very helpful, thanks - got something for the teen in Lifestyle. Not a great selection of sizes left, but hopefully this one will fit.

Discount available for student card too.

chain lube talk moved here

fuelling talk moved here

Any idea when they'll have the chain cleaner plastic thing back in please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

If there's a range near you they have them I noticed the other day, not sure of the exact price but less than a tenner.

• Advertisement

There's cycling stuff in Aldi on 16th May, but no leaflet yet to see what's in stock. Maybe keep an eye out on the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

I have the leaflet here I cant see any mention of the chain cleaner in it. The Bike cleaning kit is in it though.

patrickc wrote: »
    I have the leaflet here I cant see any mention of the chain cleaner in it. The Bike cleaning kit is in it though.

I can't see it online. From what date will it be in please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Just buy the chain cleaner thing on Aliexpress.

Aldi have an actual MTB for e349.99 on 16/05. Only £300 in UK
    https://leaflets.aldi.co.uk/view/1010962972/4/
    Looks the bees knees too.

zell12 wrote: »
    Just buy the chain cleaner thing on Aliexpress.

Aldi have an actual MTB for e349.99 on 16/05. Only £300 in UK
    https://leaflets.aldi.co.uk/view/1010962972/4/
    Looks the bees knees too.

If they had their 29er in I would pick one up, decent knock about frame from what reviews I have found.

Here the Irish leaflet. Less stuff than the UK one, but they'll have workstands for anyone interested

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/904646902/10/

A bike? A whole bike??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If they had their 29er in I would pick one up, decent knock about frame from what reviews I have found.

Anyone know if its one size only or multiple sizes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

CianRyan wrote: »
    A bike? A whole bike??

There'll carnage with people trying to get them, probably queuing hours before shop opens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I don't get the attraction that's more of a BSO than a mountain bike

Advertisement