Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAB Thread

Options
  • 16-10-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

What’s the situation? Heard this “Eirdab” MUX was testing recently. Is that still on and if not is it coming back? What stations are carried? Is it just RTE outside of that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Two religious stations are on EIRDAB in Cork as far as I know. 8Radio will be on it while they have their temporary FM licence, and a dance/underground station is meant to launch on it (NRG Radio Cork maybe?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Currently in Cork on DAB it’s RTE: UCB, Maria and CSN’s Juice FM

You would have hoped that by this stage there would be a lot more diversity. Two religious stations and a student stations isn't going to drive take-up. They need at least 10 to 15 new operators on that DAB+ platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

JDxtra wrote: »
    You would have hoped that by this stage there would be a lot more diversity. Two religious stations and a student stations isn't going to drive take-up. They need at least 10 to 15 new operators on that DAB+ platform.

Problem that they're having is that the clients they need for their MUX (i.e. the smaller operators that they would have lots of in the UK) are finding it difficult to justify the expense (and crazy paperwork) of a Section 71 licence for a trial that might be finished by summer. BAI are still asking for stations to commit to a 5 year term (paid up front) to enable participation on the trial and even then, they're asking for 5 months to process an application.

Similar process in the UK involves a short form, a cheque for 250 quid and a licence in 6 weeks.....

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

SimonMaher wrote: »
    ......Similar process in the UK involves a short form, a cheque for 250 quid and a licence in 6 weeks.....

Simon

I mean this in all seriousness, why don't you apply for a DAB license for the UK? (maybe you already have).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

More Music wrote: »
    I mean this in all seriousness, why don't you apply for a DAB license for the UK? (maybe you already have).

Perfectly fair question! UK law doesn't allow non-UK broadcasters to get Digital Content Provision licences currently. They ran a consultation a couple of years ago now which proposed changing that and they have agreed to make the relevant legislative changes. Ourselves, RTE and a few others from this side of the pond took part in that consultation.

However, like so many other things, it has been somewhat held up by recent events in the House of Commons! Plan was for RTE to go DAB in a number of cities initially but that's held up too so 252 may get another reprieve!

Head to page 8 of this document if you're really bored:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/668926/Commercial_radio_deregulation__Government_response_final.pdf

Simon
    8Radio.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9 digitalise

They've just added Raidio Ri-Ra to the Cork multiplex.

I noticed NRG Radio Cork put a DAB+ logo on an Instagram post 2 days ago. Wishful thinking?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwCkn7KBixm/

I noticed NRG Radio Cork put a DAB+ logo on an Instagram post 2 days ago. Wishful thinking?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwCkn7KBixm/

Their jingles etc still say ’NRG digital’. There is no ref to their FM freq anywhere, but in reality they’re just on 104.9FM in Cork - I don’t believe they ever made it to DAB. Their jingles/socials claim that they’re online-only so I’m assuming they’re trying the UK-influenced ‘someone’s relaying us’ thing

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

Has there been a dab scan to confirm this I wonder??

• Advertisement

Franko87 wrote: »

Has there been a dab scan to confirm this I wonder??

Most recently about a month ago. My results are in the third post

Be interesting to see if there is any new stations after popping up you never know there are people out there who could pull it off and assemble a multiplex. 👌

It would be interesting to see if any new DAB stations have appeared.

It would be interesting to see if any new DAB stations have appeared.
    DAB+ pirate multiplex? Or something new on the Eirdab multiplex?

I'm not down in Cork so can't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

DAB+ pirate multiplex?
    It would be fairly trivial to do, and not for a crazy amount of money either.

It would be fairly trivial to do, and not for a crazy amount of money either.
    It can be done but you need extensive knowledge or understanding of how dab works .

DAB+ pirate multiplex? Or something new on the Eirdab multiplex?

I'm not down in Cork so can't check.

Neither.

Neither.

Really ? I here different.

Really ? I here different.

We shall see I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anglers

Neither.
    pirateradiohead are you in cork at the minute? as you have stated in past you are not from cork? Did you do a scan in the last couple of hours in cork? find it hard to believe your comment "Neither" unless you have been in cork which you haven't said! So to speak! i have just done a scan which states your comment is wrong. found a multiplex in cork shown the name FreeDab. peace out :)

• Advertisement

This is a first, in Ireland at least. Interesting.

Anglers wrote: »
    pirateradiohead are you in cork at the minute? as you have stated in past you are not from cork? Did you do a scan in the last couple of hours in cork? find it hard to believe your comment "Neither" unless you have been in cork which you haven't said! So to speak! i have just done a scan which states your comment is wrong. found a multiplex in cork shown the name FreeDab. peace out :)

I appologize for misinformation, what stations are on it?

Anglers wrote: »

I appologize for misinformation, what stations are on it?
    Yup it's there alright

Opinions? I personally don’t ever see DAB taking off over here, and I’d imagine its three listeners would adjust to plugging their phones into aux/connecting via Bluetooth...if they haven’t already
    We live in a world where all the music and talk shows we want are at our fingertips through the internet. I think we should be crying out for national 4G coverage instead of a low quality system few use and that few more would if it was rolled out

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I think you might be right. I bought a DAB radio 10 years ago that still doesn't even work in Bray. In the meantime it's become possible to listen to a live online stream for the full length of my commute.

That said, if there were ever an internet outage, we could still rely on traditional broadcasts.

jrmb wrote: »
    I think you might be right. I bought a DAB radio 10 years ago that still doesn't even work in Bray. In the meantime it's become possible to listen to a live online stream for the full length of my commute.

That said, if there were ever an internet outage, we could still rely on traditional broadcasts.

Exactly, which is why I think we should keep the FM frequency active

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Opinions? I personally don’t ever see DAB taking off over here, and I’d imagine its three listeners would adjust to plugging their phones into aux/connecting via Bluetooth...if they haven’t already
    As has been stated elsewhere, the primary reason it is not taking off here is because the commercial stations don't want it to take off, and I believe the BAI is a victim of regulatory capture; they've been dragging their feet on DAB for at least a decade now.

As I see it, the FM transmitters have been paid for and are serving their purpose, so there's no incentive for them to move to DAB unless they wanted to launch additional services under their umbrella like e.g. Nova or RTE. If the Government mandated a switch to digital, there are other options that I would expect to be pushed as a way of keeping the status quo not unlike what I had read about the adoption of ATSC or IBoC in the US.
    We live in a world where all the music and talk shows we want are at our fingertips through the internet. I think we should be crying out for national 4G coverage instead of a low quality system few use and that few more would if it was rolled out
    And this is where I have a problem, streaming online is not broadcasting and so it does not cheaply scale. An 300W FM broadcast transmitter will set you back a small bit of cash, at a good site you'll get a wide range of coverage and it won't matter if there's one hundred or one hundred thousand listeners in range, they can all receive it at no extra cost to you.
    Broadcasting online, assuming you were using conventional hosting, and you're paying by the Mbit 95th for each 7-8 listeners or you're paying for the total sum of the data transferred (which can be more expensive) so that's going to cost you a lot more than conventional broadcasting.

And then there's the mobile networks, if there was a large uptick in folks listening to streaming services via mobile I'd expect capacity at the networks to be a problem, and they have trouble providing coverage outside of the cities much less capacity so that's a non-runner right there.

I firmly believe that radio broadcasting should NOT be the sole preserve of the wealthy and the well-heeled "media moguls", that it is a powerful tool for reaching and engaging with communities and that they should not be priced out of it nor forced to partner with "a platform" whom ultimately they have no control over - unlike having ones own broadcasting transmitter.

As has been stated elsewhere, the primary reason it is not taking off here is because the commercial stations don't want it to take off, and I believe the BAI is a victim of regulatory capture; they've been dragging their feet on DAB for at least a decade now.

As I see it, the FM transmitters have been paid for and are serving their purpose, so there's no incentive for them to move to DAB unless they wanted to launch additional services under their umbrella like e.g. Nova or RTE. If the Government mandated a switch to digital, there are other options that I would expect to be pushed as a way of keeping the status quo not unlike what I had read about the adoption of ATSC or IBoC in the US.

And this is where I have a problem, streaming online is not broadcasting and so it does not cheaply scale. An 300W FM broadcast transmitter will set you back a small bit of cash, at a good site you'll get a wide range of coverage and it won't matter if there's one hundred or one hundred thousand listeners in range, they can all receive it at no extra cost to you.
    Broadcasting online, assuming you were using conventional hosting, and you're paying by the Mbit 95th for each 7-8 listeners or you're paying for the total sum of the data transferred (which can be more expensive) so that's going to cost you a lot more than conventional broadcasting.

And then there's the mobile networks, if there was a large uptick in folks listening to streaming services via mobile I'd expect capacity at the networks to be a problem, and they have trouble providing coverage outside of the cities much less capacity so that's a non-runner right there.

I firmly believe that radio broadcasting should NOT be the sole preserve of the wealthy and the well-heeled "media moguls", that it is a powerful tool for reaching and engaging with communities and that they should not be priced out of it nor forced to partner with "a platform" whom ultimately they have no control over - unlike having ones own broadcasting transmitter.

Very informative
    Don’t get me wrong - I’m all for traditional FM broadcasting. I just think it’s too late in the day to try and convince the public to move to DAB so far into the streaming era.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I’d imagine its three listeners

on what basis are you claiming 3 listeners? i would suggest the fact we still have such services means that a lot more then 3 listeners are listening.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't really see the benefits it will bring, radio is radio, mine in the car only goes bad about 1% of the time in tunnels or multi-story car parks, it's pure wasteful over engineering what we don't need.

Advertisement