Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DublinsABC

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday at 18.00 BST is " Radio Dublin Channel 2 -From December 15th 1982, this is Ger Roe with his anoraks programme on Radio Dublin Channel 2, starting at 8.05pm. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie / Tune-in Radio / Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / ‘Anoraks Ireland’ Digitisation Project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Let that be a lesson to you all...... there was always someone listening with a tape recorder on the go, back in the day. In my defence, I was young and inexperienced, at the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

1206am in Dublin currently banging out old 1980s airchecks. Was enjoying some Tony McKenzie on Energy 103 on the way home.

btw - I suspect I drove past the 1206 site but I’ll keep schtum 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard some of this recording on ABC 80s. Young Ger Rowe, to my ears, sounded exactly the same as older adult Ger Rowe! Professional from the get go.

Incidentally, I enjoyed that jazz-funk piece of music that was played at the end of Ger Rowe's broadcast.

I heard a bit of 1206kh on MW (AM) briefly this afternoon playing '80s songs alright. I am not sure what happened to Energy Power AM this weekend. I heard it on 1440kh MW during Friday afternoon and yesterday morning, but was gone by yesterday afternoon and no sign today whenever I checked.

• Advertisement

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday at 18.00 BST is "Liberty 104 July 16th 1988 - From the evening of July 16th 1988 this is John Murray from 9pm on Liberty 104 in Dublin. The recording was made off 104.9MHz. (Sadly John passed away recently R.I.P.) And as its a bank holiday weekend - Radio Dublin Channel 2 December 22nd 1982 - This is Ger Roe with his Free Radio Programme on Radio Dublin Channel 2 on December 22nd 1982, starting at 8pm " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie / Tune-in Radio / Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / ‘Anoraks Ireland’ Digitisation Project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cary Robinson

JACK FM on 107.1 in Dublin City Strong signal playing Rock sounds brilliant..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

1512 kHz from Dundalk is playing recordings of Laser 558 Saturday 29 April. Claiming at the time to have millions of listeners and giving out the New York phone number mentioned in here:

In a desperate attempt to attract potential advertisers in mid-April 1985 the station started to broadcast recordings of commercials which had won the coveted Cleo Awards (the advertising industry's equivalent of an Oscar). At the conclusion of the commercial a Laser DJ congratulated the advertiser on their effective use of radio advertising, and then gave MMI's New York telephone number, blatantly suggesting that the company should buy airtime on the offshore station. It is improbable that this ploy achieved any airtime sales, but to the casual listener it gave the impression that Laser 558 was a commercially successful station.

No sign of it on any SDR, but it might fade in later.

107.1 JackFM on in Dublin. Not a massive signal where I am (not enough for RDS in the car). Seems to be playing classic rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Great to hear something on, it’s been a very long time since anything with a decent signal appeared. It was solid in the car between Templeogue and Leixlip earlier today for me. Enjoyable tunes (even if it was rock, not dance!) and some nice imaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Donuthead

On the road today just north of Drogheda I checked out 1512 AM and could hear 80s music, Laser 558 jingles and commercials although no DJ was heard. After Drogheda my next destination was Navan so I kept 1512 on and it was quite audible all the way through Slane and on to just as you enter Navan town then all the mush and static drowned it out.

I notice Energy 1440 missing from the dial which is unusual. They have a good signal right up to just after Drogheda.

I drove from Dundalk to Navan last Sunday daytime, and that was what I found as well. It is being heard well on the North West and Malin SDR's as I write this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donuthead

Energy 1440 is back on the air. Playing Belinda Carlisle, Blondie, Energy ID then Cameo - Candy. :)

1206 is actually on 1205.

Another appearance on FM in Dublin… 87.6 Chill FM. Seems to be on some sort of test loop. Very strong signal.

Quick scan at Balally Luas stop in Dublin shows an unusually early start for Retro FM. ABC 80s also audible on 93.3

Chill Fm 87.6 back again this evening.

I noticed too that Retro FM was on today on 92.0 FM. Occasionally, it has been on Saturdays in automated mode. What was even more unusual on this occasion was that I heard a jingle announcing Mike Doyle. I never actually heard anyone presenting when I had it on today, but there must have been a live broadcast during the day. ABC 80s is normally on throughout the weekend.

Picked up Chill on 87.6 earlier with some nice jazzy house stuff. 90s network chugging away on 98.4 plus there was a relay of Energy 1440 going out on 99.5.FM too.

• Advertisement

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday at 18.00 BST is "Kiss FM April 10th 1983 - This is a wonderful recording capturing Chris Cary (identifying as ‘Harry’) in typically mischievous form on a Sunday evening on Kiss FM, the Radio Nova sister station based in Dublin. We join the Boss on 102.7MHz as 8pm approaches with Ken Hammond preparing to read the News. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie / Tune-in Radio / Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / ‘Anoraks Ireland’ Digitisation Project. (Back in a few weeks due to holidays)

I tuned in at about 6:45 and there were a couple of songs being played, the last of which was cut off by ABC 80s promo of their pirate memories, followed by a tape of Ger Rowe doing his Free Radio Programme on Radio Channel 2. I presume what I heard at the start was the tail end of that Kiss FM recording! Interesting stuff from Ger as always, from what I heard of it!

UNID pirate on 92.0 in Dublin right now. Maybe Retro (without RDS) but audio is well dodgy

The Dundalk station is on 1494 kHz Saturday 13 May. Laser 558 tapes, same as was on 1512 recently. Coming through fairly strong on the North West SDR. 1494 is labelled Coast / Energy FM there, from previous operations.

ABC 80’s With a bit of luck and timing we hope to put out the last 95 mins of Radio Nova shutting itself down on the 19th of May 1983 so tune in to 93.3 FM and our internet links from 16.30 we will repeat on Sunday at 18.00 on Radio Memories 

Heard some of it the car earlier - great memories!

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday at 18.00 BST is "Sunshine Radio May 19th 1983 -This is the morning the Sun went out over Portmarnock. The day after a raid against Radio Nova Sunshine Radio decided to continue broadcasting. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie / Tune-in Radio / Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 47 siezetheday

Listening in the car and picked up ABC80s for the first time around town, sounded pretty good, a nice break from the licensed dross.

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday at 18.00 BST is "Radio Dublin Channel 2 March 2nd 1983 - This is a recording of the Free Radio Programme with Ger Roe on Radio Dublin Channel 2 " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie / Tune-in Radio / Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Anoraks Ireland Collection

• Advertisement

some nice FMDX out there today including BBC Manchester romping into Dublin on 95.1 and RockFM in Preston overpowering the 97.4 relay of Dublins 98FM.

Advertisement