Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BANDSCAN THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Robot Radio on 107.1 FM today.

Seems to be the same station that carried the 88 closedowns last weekend but which improved modulation.

Energy on 1440 is also on air along with the last day of Absolute radio on 1215 & 1242 on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cableguyireland

Test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Glaceon

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DublinsABC

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is Kiss FM - October 28th 1982 "Recorded in Dublin off 102.7MHz this is Colm Hayes on the Dublin pirate station Kiss FM, Radio Nova’s sister station " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Gary Hogg

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is "Kiss FM December 26th 1988 - This is Kiss FM from Monaghan town on St Stephen’s Day 1988 as they prepare to close in line with new legislation.

This is Kiss FM from Monaghan town on St Stephen's Day 1988 as they prepare to close in line with new legislation.

In this pre-recorded programme, Susan Charles interviews some of the men working behind the scenes at the radio station, who also get to select their 5 favourite songs.

First, we hear from Artie ‘The One Man Party’ who spun the records on the overnight shift but didn’t speak on air; next, it’s Liam Brennan, who did the same job as Artie but at the weekend; and finally it’s the turn of Chief Engineer Miles Johnston (pictured), who speaks about getting the station on the air and about the influential stations of the past.

" Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mick masterson

Phever had reception reports Finland Sweden Scotland England amazing with RDS FM modulation is amazing sometimes 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Page 35:

"During this reporting period, ComReg investigated a complaint from the UK Regulator (OfCom) regarding harmful interference on a frequency of 5 770 kHz from an unlicensed broadcasting station operating from Ireland. The frequency band 5 730 – 5 900 kHz is harmonised by NATO and NATO member nations24 for military use. One of the issues with detecting HF/SW transmissions is, unless the transmitter is using considerable power, there is a very limited ground wave being emitted and direction finding of the arriving skywave (that can often be received across Europe but not in Ireland) is required. Following extensive field investigations and co-operation from several other European National Regulatory Authorities (“NRAs”) to determine the direction of the incoming skywave, the transmitter location was pinpointed and confirmed by ComReg to be coming from a private residence in the Dundalk area. ComReg obtained a warrant and conducted a search and seize operation with the assistance of An Garda Síochána. ComReg seized a home-made short-wave transmitter and associated antenna on the property. All equipment was removed by ComReg, and the property owner was cautioned and signed an undertaking not to undertake any further activity of this kind."

In Dundalk the last activity I heard was around March 2022, lots of different MW and SW frequencies before that. Until 08 January 2023 when a massive S9 +60 signal appeared tuning around 1611 to 1620 kHz. Since then most days it is heard on various frequencies including 1575, 1602, 1611, 1615, 1627, 1628, 1635 and 1655 kHz, and probably more. In the last few days it is down to +40, but being heard weak on Irish SDR's. On the North West SDR it is labelled Nova AM on 1615, apparently having transmitted some old Nova recordings, but I never heard any speech. Non stop oldies to coin a phrase, except that it is very much stop start, with no regular hours. When it was on before (if it is the same operator), it used to be mostly Radio Sovereign recordings.

On the car radio it fades out around 15 to 20 miles from Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donuthead

Interesting.

I will be passing through Dundalk later today so will have a tune around for this.

Is the FreeDAB still on air from Dundalk?

Nothing was heard on Medium Wave and above around Dundalk and in fact no sign of Energy 1440 around Dublin earlier this morning.

To answer my own question regarding FreeDAB, a scan in Dundalk revealed the following,

Coast

Expreso Ukraine

Kiss 106

Radio Sovereign

Storm

Storm 80s

Storm Country

Storm hits

Storm old school

There is nothing north of the border except the massive selection of UK stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Yes DAB in Dundalk is good and works well on the M1 down as far as Drogheda and then fades out.

The guys must have one of the longest running dance stations still available on the airwaves. Fair play to them we all know how expensive it is to keep the show going, especially with the price of energy.

From what I believe they came out of the ashes of the old KISSFM which was massive back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

storm are around via various broadcast mediums 21 years now, formed in january 2002 or there abouts i think.

it was a split off from kiss 106, basically the dance music programming split to form storm i think.

i think kiss may have continued for a few more years on their other frequencies.

i will admit storm isn't a station i would listen to very much, but credit where credit is due for being around for so long.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I picked up Classic Hits 80's on the car radio earlier today in Limerick.

Operating on the 105.5 frequency that 30 day temps are usually on.

It's RDS said CH 80S which made it look like channel 805.

Not sure how long it's been there, the Classic Hits website says it's a digital only channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

99.3FM

Was listening to Real FM Spain today on 99.3FM , was traveling on the M50 southbound. Not sure who was relaying them.

Energy was on 1440AM with their own music this afternoon, their audio seems to have improved over the last month or so.

there's no sign on them on FM since before Christmas.

Retro was back to normal and sounding good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 behanator

Shopping at the square in Tallaght and heard energy on 1440, definite audio improvement in the last few weeks, signal gets noisy near the luas lines.

Also heard Real FM on 99.3 signal varied around the housing estates.

Retro sounded great on 92 as usual.

Nothing heard on 93.3, 91.6 or 107.1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i think the phever relay on 91.6 operates on fridays only.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Also to add:

98.4 The nineties network

107.1 Robot FM - playing 80 remixes ( songs you won't hear on CH80S. ....)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Tried a few times to hear Robot FM without success. Signal must be very localised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

At various stages over the weekend (just catching up with posts now!), I picked up the following - all oldies-oriented:

FM:

92.0 - Retro FM

93.3 - ABC 80s

98.4 - The 90s Network

99.3 - Unidentified playing oldies (may have been that relay of Real FM - I heard it on Saturday rather than Sunday) - I suspect that it is connected directly or indirectly with Energy Power AM

107.1 - Robot FM - signal was sporadic and not great overall

MW:

1440 kh - Energy Power AM

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is "Zoom 103 March 20th 1986 - An hour of Tony McKenzie’s show from just after the midday News, read by Bob Gallico.

" Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Joe Rossa, Seán McCarthy and Gary Hogg

• Advertisement

Travelling North and expecting to hear FreeDAB North of Drogheda, but unfortunately, nothing!

Can anyone tell me if this is a weekend-only service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Over the weekend, Co. Meath-based dance pirate Retro Now was on 107.1 FM. I could just about pick it up around Nutgrove and Ballinteer, but I know it was that station from the RDS. I have to admit that I thought it had left FM, having not heard anything about it since some time last year. Yesterday I picked up what I presume is Robot FM on the same frequency around west Dublin, as it was playing oldies. Is that going to be an issue with both stations using the same frequency?

Over a couple of Fridays this month, I have heard dance music on 91.6 FM. The signal is not great, but I assume it is Phever.

Are these the last dance pirates in Ireland or are there more?

Haven’t heard Retro Now in a long time, have never heard Robot Radio despite checking in multiple locations over previous weekends.

As both station’s broadcast so infrequently and to different local areas only, I don’t think it’s a big deal being on same frequency. Different story if one of them moves to a site location with wider coverage.

Regarding 91.6, this relay appears on occasion on Friday evening. Not really an official Phever broadcast as they never advertise it. More a bit of fun. No harm, happy to pick it up when it appears.

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is "Big D July 29th 1979 - Sunday morning on Big D, the Dublin pirate radio station.On air for the early shift is Michael Oliver. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland

Ok, FreeDAB is not a weekend-only service, Storm is thumping away on 104.2 and DAB. Nice signals from both heading South.

Radio is alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Anyone near the south coast of Ireland I'm getting some Spanish stations weakly (and fading up and down) on car radio on quiet parts of the FM band tonight: 87.7 87.9 105.0 106.6 106.8 - none good enough for RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

Does anyone know if I-Radio have moved frequency in Letterkenny from 96.9 to 105.7 with a massive improvement in coverage/signal. Nice to see improved coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

I'm in Mayo and I was having a tune around a few weeks ago and noticed a weak IRadio on 105.7. Frequency finder has no listing for it. If what you say is true, then it's coming from Scalp Mountain. It was possible at one time to hear a weak Highland Radio here on 103.3 from the same site, but now it's co channel with IRadio from Tonabrocky, Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Fair play to the north east guys. Last known pirate that has continued with all the challenges.

Advertisement