Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

No. It’s dry bedding. My plan is to buy in cattle and I don’t like small cattle on slats. I’d over 100 in it last winter and a few minutes has it done.

I get you now. A fine job, a lifetime job no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi all,

I'm looking at putting up a cheap and cheerful shed for finishing stores indoors next yr. Few questions:

For a 40ft x 20ft shed how many stores would I be able to keep max.

Have seen sheds online with slats 2ft off the floor rather than a thank. Anyone done something similar and if so would ye reccomend?. Would be less labour intensive than bedded sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

kk.man wrote: »
    Ah ya brought them in. They won't cost you as much as you think for 4 weeks.

Will I give them good hay or silage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Will I give them good hay or silage?
    IMO if you have good hay why waste it on store lambs and it hard enough save/make.
    Silage would help put up the kgs faster plus hay is a maintenance feed most of the time.

IMO if you have good hay why waste it on store lambs and it hard enough save/make.
    Silage would help put up the kgs faster plus hay is a maintenance feed most of the time.

The silage is good but they’d waste more of it than eat it. I gave a bale of hay to 53 today. Any guesses how long it will last. They’re getting 50 kgs of a good ration every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

The silage is good but they’d waste more of it than eat it. I gave a bale of hay to 53 today. Any guesses how long it will last. They’re getting 50 kgs of a good ration every day.

About 4 days if they are all eating from it. Could get 8- 10 days if they are not use to hay and only sone are picking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Honestly If you haven’t a do outside for joggets your as well in the mart with them.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Honestly If you haven’t a do outside for joggets your as well in the mart with them.

That's true to some degree but in a rising market and plenty of fodder it does pay for up to 6 weeks I have found.

That's true to some degree but in a rising market and plenty of fodder it does pay for up to 6 weeks I have found.

What weight per day would you be giving them in the 6 weeks.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    What weight per day would you be giving them in the 6 weeks.
    I feed no more than 0.3kgs in a single feed twice per day. Others say different but I found any increase was offset by deaths, maybe I'm doing something wrong but that's my rule of thumb.

• Advertisement

I feed no more than 0.3kgs in a single feed twice per day. Others say different but I found any increase was offset by deaths, maybe I'm doing something wrong but that's my rule of thumb.

How much would they eat per day if it was ad lib

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

How much would they eat per day if it was ad lib

I had them eating 1.25 kg ad lib in October to get rid,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ad lib here once Xmas comes. Only way to finish them

I see pets making 35 euro on adverts/donedeal. Some money for a day old lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I see pets making 35 euro on adverts/donedeal. Some money for a day old lamb.

Asking or getting

Asking or getting

Getting, one on adverts asking 35 and sold within 20 mins. Without even listing breed or sex. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Getting, one on adverts asking 35 and sold within 20 mins. Without even listing breed or sex. Madness.

I’d be worried about a lot of pet lambs going to inexperienced homes this year. With lock down people might be willing to purchase to keep children occupied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

razor8 wrote: »
    I’d be worried about a lot of pet lambs going to inexperienced homes this year. With lock down people might be willing to purchase to keep children occupied

Having said that - I was planning on getting a few again, for exactly that reason - something different for the kids...
    (We dont lamb any more, so dont have any small lambs of our own)

Having said that - I was planning on getting a few again, for exactly that reason - something different for the kids...

Yea, but you'd know how to mind them, I've seen some meeting sad lives. we wouldn't sell them here on principle

I usually get a few every year. Especially with herself at home at the moment i was looking but hard to see the sense in paying over 20 for a pet lamb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, but you'd know how to mind them, I've seen some meeting sad lives. we wouldn't sell them here on principle

ha - I think I would, and then somedays Wrangler you'd wonder do I... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Wait a while a get a middling jex calf for 30€!

Jjameson wrote: »
    Wait a while a get a middling jex calf for 30€!

I think I'd have more chance of getting the lamb to 42kg lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zomoradi

intense jate

Does anyone here chop beet for hoggets? I’ve had mine in since Christmas due to rain but moving forward was thinking of chopping beet next year along with the ration. I’m paying €10 per bag and they get 2 each. Just wondering if fodder beet would be a good option. Thanks

Stupid question. How long would a bale of silage last 60 lambs on meal? I’d rather feed hay as less waste and sheep are more picky with silage. If they’re on meal, is hay good enough anyway? Thanks

If you were giving the lambs .5kg meal/day, I'd guess the silage would be rotten before they'd finish the bale

Is hay good enough for fattening lambs with meal? Baled silage is more finicky. I’d imagine you’d want at least 100+ to be feeding out of a bale per day.

If you want to fatten them you'd need to be feeding a kilo/day of meal and at that level you'd only need a small bit of roughage to keep their stomachs right, be it hay, silage or straw. hay can make them potbellied if fed too much and silage needs to be perfect quality to be any addition.

If you're feeding a kilo/day, they need to be built up slowly to that level and given in two feeds

• Advertisement

If building up slowly, how does a creep feeder work? Do you just fill feeder and leave in? I genuinely don’t know. I was thinking of buying those green plastic sturdy ones from Glanbia. They’re about €380.

Advertisement