Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Water John wrote: »
    Are the fillets an striploins 250 grms each?

Just had Lidl 227 grms sirloin. AA 30 day matured €3 each offer. Good value and fine. Just prefer the ribeye

Fillets 200
    Striploin 240.
    Really just added to see quality for future.
    Always fancied the brisket so will cook it for about 6 hours on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Water John

tmabr This would be priced per kg:
    2.5 kg beef brisket- looks nice €25 €10/kg
    2 Angus fillets €15 200grms €37.5/kg
    2 Angus striploins €11 240grms €22.9/kg

Just for benchmarking.

Water John wrote: »
    Are the fillets an striploins 250 grms each?

Just had Lidl 227 grms sirloin. AA 30 day matured €3 each offer. Good value and fine. Just prefer the ribeye

was surprised how tasty that was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

I had the sirloin as well the wife the 30 day matured two days ago. It was absolutely fantastic, best steak I have had in a long time.

xpletiv wrote: »
    I had the sirloin as well the wife the 30 day matured two days ago. It was absolutely fantastic, best steak I have had in a long time.

I wonder if that standard will be consistent - could be a one-off batch or something. Hopefully not the case.

I will try again to test out the theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cowboy steaks are €11.72/kg from today in SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Supervalu have Fillet on Butchers counter from 27th for
    €23.44 Kg

554078.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

CH3OH wrote: »
    Supervalu have Fillet on Butchers counter from 27th for
    €23.44 Kg

554078.jpg

No offence but reduced from €34.99 per Kg?

I buy all my steaks in SuperValu, but will not be tempted by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah have seen it at 17.99/kg in Supervalue before so theyve gone and bumped the price to 35 euro/kg to make 23.44/kg look good

Have they being doing cowboy steaks at all? They havent put any leaflets into my post box over the last while so not sure what offers have been on lately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah have seen it at 17.99/kg in Supervalue before so theyve gone and bumped the price to 35 euro/kg to make 23.44/kg look good

Have they being doing cowboy steaks at all? They havent put any leaflets into my post box over the last while so not sure what offers have been on lately

In fairness €35/kg is the standard / usual SV price for fillet, it's not made up - the €17.50 price is when they do an occasional half price offer. It's fillet steak - €35/kg is pretty standard pricing and a lot of butchers would be close to €40/kg.

• Advertisement

And from 3rd to 9th June Supervalu Butchers Counter

Sirloin €11.38 Kg
    Tomahawk €11.72 Kg
    Striploin €15.40 Kg

Says on the page: "Available in participating stores only"

e.g. Pettitts in Arklow sometimes don't have the meat offers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »

Neither of which is less than €23.44
    Both are prepacked.
    On a Butchers counter, there is the option of getting it cut to your liking and you can have a good look at the meat.

Like everything there is different quality steak available in supermarkets.
    Maybe this is better quality steak. Maybe it's not.

It may not be The bargain of the year, but I can't see it cheaper anywhere else at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Muahahaha wrote: »

Cowboys were on offer the last couple of weeks working out at €4-€4.50 each but I’m not sure if it’s still going

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

CH3OH wrote: »
    And from 3rd to 9th June Supervalu Butchers Counter

Sirloin €11.38 Kg
    Tomahawk €11.72 Kg
    Striploin €15.40 Kg

Says on the page: "Available in participating stores only"

e.g. Pettitts in Arklow sometimes don't have the meat offers

If you have a SuperValu account, just log in and go to beef, special offers and it will show what is available in your local store.
    Special offers change every Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

SAVAGE T-Bones. HUGE.
    Village Butcher in Ranelagh.
    They weren’t cheap, but my lord they were tasty :D

554232.jpeg

554231.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Seve OB wrote: »
    SAVAGE T-Bones. HUGE.
    Village Butcher in Ranelagh.
    They weren’t cheap, but my lord they were tasty :D

Describe not cheap.

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Describe not cheap.

€47 :eek:

Cowboy steaks back on special in Supervalue @11.72kg from today the 17th to 23rd June only. Also 33% off striploin steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭ablelocks

fathers day breakfast, dinner, supper and late night snack sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ruddy1987

https://www.instagram.com/omahonymeats01/

20oz T-bones €9.99, buy two get one free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ruddy1987 wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/omahonymeats01/

20oz T-bones €9.99, buy two get one free.

dublin only delivery according to their website (?)

Cowboy steaks are back in Supervalue from the 30th Sept to 6th of October. They've gone up a bit in price from the usual 11.72/kg to 13.05/kg but still good value I think.

Also there on the same dates are pork racks with an Alabama rub, 7.23/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Let's see if we can bring this thread back to life...

From tomorrow in LIDL:

2 Angus Sirloin Steaks 32 Days Matured

Was 7.99 (-20%) now € 6.39

They also have reductions on Chateaubriand and dry aged Rib Eyes & Striploins.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Nice one, will get a couple of those sirloins for the weekend.

Its gotten harder and harder to find much in the way of a bargain when it comes to steaks lately. We are certainly a long way off the Aldi/Lidl 2 euro ribeyes that this thread began with years ago.

Best thing i can think of is if buying a few steaks up to 30 euros worth then use the Dunnes 10 off 30 trick when signing up to their app. With a temporary email address it can be signed up to again and again and that will allow 30 quids worth of good steaks for 20 quid. Ive been hitting it for about six months now, Im not a big Dunnes shopper but when you can get 33% off a 30 euro spend its worth it.

You don’t even need a temporary email address if you have a gmail account

who knows that little beauty?

I feel guilty the amount of €10 off €30 vouchers I’ve been using in Dunnes lately……. Nearly feel like I’m putting my hand in their till.

got some of the James Whelan steaks in there recently. They are very nice…… but are they much better than the fancy dunnes ones in the cardboard pack? Probably not, I’ll stick to them, so 6 very tasty ribeyes @ €9.99 a twin pack and throw a small bottle of cream @ €1 to get you over the €30 and make some pepper sauce with and your bill is only €20.97. Best deal around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I love steak and spent €8 on sirloin in SuperValu and it was tough as old boots

The internet isn’t for everyone

yeah the 10 off 30 trick in Dunnes is a good one, I still cant believe that they havent copped it and shut it down. I dont feel guilty about using it at all becasue last year they refused me a refund or exchange on a 20 euro belt I bought whose buckle snapped on the second use. Id thrown away the receipt thinking what could possibly go wrong with a belt yet then it snapped. Had proof of purchase via my banking app but they wouldnt accept that so they left me down 20 quid over a faulty product. Ive more than gotten my 20 quid back at this stage by hitting up the 10 off 30 several times now.

I also used it to get 3 of James Whelans dry aged rib eye steaks. They are 40 euro a kilo so each 250g steak is 10 euro at full price but the 10 off 30 brings it down to 6.66 a steak which isnt too bad. However while they were nice Id agree that the fancy Dunnes ribeyes are better value without losing much taste compared to the premium prices of James Whelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Advertisement