Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

How much do you expect to pay for 1.2kg of ribeye? that's a 42.5oz steak.

The thing is about 0.8kg of bone! I love my dog, but not that much!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

http://jesspryles.com/how-to-cook-a-tomahawk-steak/ (from the Aldi thread)

Looks like a lot of hassle indeed to get that thing done to your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,975 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You are meant to eat the tomahawk? I thought it was a home protection weapon kept in the fridge...

I picked one up but at that price thought it wasnt worth a gamble.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just wouldn't buy it because the effort of cooking that yoke isn't worth it. It's a small roast, not a steak.

I have never bought ribeye ever so I don't know how much its worth. I usually stick to striploin or sirloin. Before this week I have never heard of a Tomahawk steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I have never bought ribeye ever so I don't know how much its worth. I usually stick to striploin or sirloin. Before this week I have never heard of a Tomahawk steak.

You're missing out, ribeye is by far the best of the primal steak cuts.

• Advertisement

You're missing out, ribeye is by far the best of the primal steak cuts.

Oh yes, I am aware of that. But one must be very careful with one's meagre income these days!!! :D Really though, what I mean is, I can't b----dy afford it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Oh yes, I am aware of that. But one must be very careful with one's meagre income these days!!! :D Really though, what I mean is, I can't b----dy afford it!

Ribeye is cheaper than striploin in fairness.

Really! Must take me anudder look then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I have never bought ribeye ever.

A lot of people won't buy it cos its got a lump of fat in the middle and the Irish thing into get a lean steak and over cook it.
    Onto the grill on high, 3 mins either side and let it rest in foil for another 3 mins and you won't look back.
    It looks more expensive than striploin cos striploin is usually cut very thin when sold in packs.
    Buy it when it's on offer and it'll work out the same as sirloin but a MUCH better steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maybe about half of what they are charging for the actual meat. Seems to regularly be about 15 per kilo.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lidl are doing 200g rib eye and striploins for 3 euro this weekend. Have a couple in the fridge and will be firing up the bbq later
    amber2 wrote: »
    SuperValu are doing rib eye €14.06kg from Thursday 27th April to 3rd of May.
    robbie67 wrote: »
    Got 2 Hereford Rib Eye steaks in Lidl Moore St today 450g for 6.99€ happy man
    That tomahawk steak at 19.69 per kilo is probably €30+ per kilo of actual ribeye steak.

Looking online 1.2kg seems to be a common size for them. Morrisons in the UK had them for fathers day, saying if one person could not manage it, then it would do 2-3. I can see restaurants sell that size for 2 people, or as a large steak for one.

Seems to be just a gimmick to me, found this site saying the bone is not even doing much for flavour.
    http://blog.gentlemint.com/2016/jul/13/tomahawk-steak-what-it-and-should-you-buy-it/
    Problem #2: The extra bone doesn't do anything

Chefs and steak companies claim that having the extra bone adds "depth and complexity" to the flavor of the meat, but this simply isn't true.

Professor Jeffrey W. Savell, Leader of the Meat Science Section in the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M; University, was quoted as saying this about bone-in steaks:

"We do have some national data about the tenderness, juiciness, and flavor of bone-in and boneless ribeye and strip steaks, but the differences were very small."

The meat around the bone is packed with flavor and delicious. Unfortunately, on a tomahawk cut there is nothing on the extra 8 inches of bone.

• Advertisement

Just had a 'Cowboy' steak from Super Valu butchers counter and very impressed. Succulent, and you could pull it apart with fork. One to do rare - medium rather than well done.

According to wiki, it's basically ribeye but with the bone in:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib_eye_steak

It's €11.72 a kg at the moment with 33% off in their Steak and Wine sale.

One big piece at 450g - 500g feeds 2 people, there'll a bit of wastage on it so you need to allow a little more than 200g per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just had a 'Cowboy' steak from Super Valu butchers counter and very impressed. Succulent, and you could pull it apart with fork. One to do rare - medium rather than well done.

According to wiki, it's basically ribeye but with the bone in:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib_eye_steak

It's €11.72 a kg at the moment with 33% off in their Steak and Wine sale.

One big piece at 450g - 500g feeds 2 people, there'll a bit of wastage on it so you need to allow a little more than 200g per person.

The beauty of this offer is, if you choose carefully, there are always a few with very little bone in them and you are basically getting a beautiful rib-eye steak for €12 per kilo. Had them twice last week (medium rare) and they were absolutely delicious. Paid €13 for 3 big steaks that fed the 6 of us (2 adults, 2 teens, 2 tweens) with no grumbling. Only have steak occasionally because of the cost but will definitely be going for this offer again this week!

Really! Must take me anudder look then. :)

Well happened to see them both while passing the butcher's counter in Dunnes today, both Ribeye and Striploin were €7 for two, so same price. May give them a go tomorrow.
    Save

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well happened to see them both while passing the butcher's counter in Dunnes today, both Ribeye and Striploin were €7 for two, so same price. May give them a go tomorrow.
    Save

€7 for two what?

It's the weight that counts.

€7 for two what?

Rib eye steaks were €7 for two, and the Striploin steaks were €7 for two. They looked almost the same size, and of course weight is important, but I didn't see a vast difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Rib eye steaks were €7 for two, and the Striploin steaks were €7 for two. They looked almost the same size, and of course weight is important, but I didn't see a vast difference.

It's written on the pack.

EDIT: It's obviously not on the pack at the butcher's counter...

It's written on the pack.

She said butchers counter, probably was no pack or weight mentioned, really irritates me. The butcher near me have no weights on most stuff, so I have no idea how they compare, so just do not bother. Of course you could ask them to weigh. I just presume if they are keeping it secret they do not compare favorably -otherwise why hide it?

Ribeye and striploin are usually around the same price though. Striploin on average a tiny bit more, but nothing like the difference you see in round - sirloin - ribeye/strip -fillet

Yep, butcher's counter, no packaging. Anyway, as I say, I was passing by and didn't have time to investigate more closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it illegal for Tesco (or any retailer) to have labels like this with no price per kilo?
    424666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is it illegal for Tesco (or any retailer) to have labels like this with no price per kilo?

The price will be displayed. There's no obligation for it to be on the scanned label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The price will be displayed. There's no obligation for it to be on the scanned label.
    It certainly wasn't visible on any shelf label that I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl doing the rib ans strip for €3 again from tomorrow, dont know when valid until

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl doing the rib ans strip for €3 again from tomorrow, dont know when valid until

Valid until the 16th.
    Their specials are now on a Thursday to Wednesday cycle.

€7 for two what?

Update: I bought the two Rib Eye steaks for €7 in Dunnes. They were tender and delicious. The weight of the two steaks was 371g. Label said €7.98 and the 98cent was deducted at checkout, but it also said €7.98/kg.

In the aldi thread in the food forum yesterday
    Thargor wrote: »
    Tomohawks are 50% off already in my Aldi, dont seem to be shifting much of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

rubadub wrote: »
    In the aldi thread in the food forum yesterday
    They seem to have been pulled from the shelves now, Aldi Bray anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

5NXvn8f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aren't they usually those prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Was wondering too but https://www.independent.ie/life/taste-test-ribeye-steak-34806081.html but this 2016 article fits the previous price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No. They've been reduced in the past week.
    The Striploin is even cheaper at €7

Advertisement