Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-09-2020, 12:33   #1
gerryocaz

Mature entry Medicine 2021

Hello People
I am 28 years old planing on studying medicine next year if all goes well.
Just wondering is anybody applying for mature entry medicine in 2021? Wanted to make a thread so we can hopefully help each other with the process.
Advertisement
10-09-2020, 14:18   #2
conordarcy123

Hi Gerryocaz,

I am also applying next year for Medicine next year. Whats your background in? I have a pretty heavy psychology background. Hope we can get a little group going that we can help each other in the process.
12-09-2020, 14:50   #3
WayHyun95

Hi Everyone,

Do Unis take into account your leaving cert points?

If anyone out there that has matriculated to medicine via mature entry? How many points did you get in your leaving? Did it play a role in securing a place? I got low 500s in my LC a few years ago so well below "medicine standard".

Anyone else not sit LC Chemistry? Any recommendations for schools that accept and teach adult learner's taking LC Chemistry. I'd rather do the 5yr programme vs 6yr as it would be an extra year of school and tuition.

Currently in undergrad (non-science) and trying to collect the foundations for an application to TCD/RCSI.

Hope this thread picks up 😊
20-09-2020, 21:50   #4
Futuremedmum

Hi, also applying this year. Im 29.

Is the chemistry requirement satisfied by a separate sitting in leaving cert?
I was going to do a Pre-uni science but I am too late to apply for those this year.
I was thinking of doing this, ie. sitting the Chemistry leaving cert exam in 2021.
I see Galway wants this done and grade received in year prior to applying.
I believe Trinity only accepts all subject requirements from the one sitting of the leaving.

Would be great to do the 5 year.

Also does free fees cover the entire medicine degree or would we be liable for some fees for the extra years?
20-09-2020, 23:32   #5
spurious
Category Moderator

Moving this to a forum it may be more appropriate for and where it may get more replies.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-09-2020, 17:44   #6
gerryocaz

I have been working as a radiographer ever since I finished college. I did not have chemistry as a subject in the leaving cert and after talking to the head of medicine in UCC I don’t think it will be a problem. Have other people been told this is a requirement? How are people finding studying for the HPAT?
16-10-2020, 13:29   #7
WayHyun95

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryocaz View Post
I have been working as a radiographer ever since I finished college. I did not have chemistry as a subject in the leaving cert and after talking to the head of medicine in UCC I don’t think it will be a problem. Have other people been told this is a requirement? How are people finding studying for the HPAT?
What sort of work experience are they looking for. Obvious one would be healthcare experience... Would they also look for volunteering or research experience ? Do we need to have a postgraduate degree (Msc/PhD) to have a good chance of getting in?

Grades wise would they look into Secondary school, College grades, HPAT?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion