Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry Medicine 2021

• 04-09-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello People
    I am 28 years old planing on studying medicine next year if all goes well.
    Just wondering is anybody applying for mature entry medicine in 2021? Wanted to make a thread so we can hopefully help each other with the process.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 conordarcy123

Hi Gerryocaz,

I am also applying next year for Medicine next year. Whats your background in? I have a pretty heavy psychology background. Hope we can get a little group going that we can help each other in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WayHyun95

Hi Everyone,

Do Unis take into account your leaving cert points?

If anyone out there that has matriculated to medicine via mature entry? How many points did you get in your leaving? Did it play a role in securing a place? I got low 500s in my LC a few years ago so well below "medicine standard".

Anyone else not sit LC Chemistry? Any recommendations for schools that accept and teach adult learner's taking LC Chemistry. I'd rather do the 5yr programme vs 6yr as it would be an extra year of school and tuition.

Currently in undergrad (non-science) and trying to collect the foundations for an application to TCD/RCSI.

Hope this thread picks up 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Futuremedmum

Hi, also applying this year. Im 29.

Is the chemistry requirement satisfied by a separate sitting in leaving cert?
    I was going to do a Pre-uni science but I am too late to apply for those this year.
    I was thinking of doing this, ie. sitting the Chemistry leaving cert exam in 2021.
    I see Galway wants this done and grade received in year prior to applying.
    I believe Trinity only accepts all subject requirements from the one sitting of the leaving.

Would be great to do the 5 year.

Also does free fees cover the entire medicine degree or would we be liable for some fees for the extra years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moving this to a forum it may be more appropriate for and where it may get more replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gerryocaz

I have been working as a radiographer ever since I finished college. I did not have chemistry as a subject in the leaving cert and after talking to the head of medicine in UCC I don’t think it will be a problem. Have other people been told this is a requirement? How are people finding studying for the HPAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 WayHyun95

gerryocaz wrote: »
    I have been working as a radiographer ever since I finished college. I did not have chemistry as a subject in the leaving cert and after talking to the head of medicine in UCC I don’t think it will be a problem. Have other people been told this is a requirement? How are people finding studying for the HPAT?

What sort of work experience are they looking for. Obvious one would be healthcare experience... Would they also look for volunteering or research experience ? Do we need to have a postgraduate degree (Msc/PhD) to have a good chance of getting in?

Grades wise would they look into Secondary school, College grades, HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Pharmabud

Has registration for HPAT opened yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Thorn Bird

Hi guys,

I’m also applying to medicine this year (2021).

I’m just wondering if anybody has any old ******** questions or any material that I could purchase of you for more practice for this HPAT that’s coming up?

I wish everybody the very best of luck in the upcoming HPAT and GAMSAT exam.☺️����

• Registered Users Posts: 12 s.molly

How did you guys feel about the HPAT just gone?

Totally horrendous!!! The ProctorU, the technicians and the entire online chaos was a complete nightmare!!! After all my preparation, I had to wait 3.5hours before my exam actually started due to technical issues and then errors occurred near the end of the exam !!!! It was horrendous and I’m totally gutted!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 s.molly

I’m sorry to hear that Thorn Bird :( Hopefully it went better than we thought! I ran out of time in section one so had to blind guess a few. Where have you applied to?

It will be a miracle if I do anyway reasonable.

I applied to RCSI and UCD for mature entry route.

What about you? May I ask what your route via mature entry e.g your age and maybe what you currently work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Xaituuni

Thorn Bird wrote: »

What about you? May I ask what your route via mature entry e.g your age and maybe what you currently work at?

Hiya,
    I have been following this thread. ACER have suggested that our university options will receive our HPAT scores before we do. I bet I flopped it. When will interviews be scheduled do you guys think?

Hello,
    Thanks for messaging.

I’m not optimistic at all for the HPAT this year as it was a total disaster - and regarding interviews, I’m not entirely sure when each of the universities are intending to hold such interviews. I believe from the research I have done that mature applicants will get their results the end of April and then they receive notification whether or not they have been successful in the interview process.

This is my very first attempt at applying to medicine and as a mature student I feel quite alone in this journey in comparison to younger students who perhaps have fellow students and friends who want to pursue medicine.

I have been working in my current job for over 12 years, so this entire experiencing if applying to medicine and sitting the HPAT is all new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CyborgBanana

Thorn Bird wrote: »

UCD only allow matures from their access to SEAM course. Are you currently enrolled in the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CyborgBanana

I'm wondering if there are any successful mature medicine applicants here that applied without meeting the LC requirement for mature entry and don't have a fully-fledged degree? I've applied for some social science courses this year, but I'm not sure if I'll get in. I'm thinking of doing an access to science course in UCD or Maynooth, which will allow me to apply for RCSI and UCD (if I go with UCD). I could obviously apply for the other colleges in the country as well, but they only mention the leaving cert as the entry requirements.

I was thinking of doing volunteer work before the pandemic hit, but I'd definitely like to do some if this is my plan. If I don't get in through the mature entry route, I'd like to do another course that I have an interest in and possibly apply through the graduate entry route, but the fees are absolutely ridiculous and I don't have the privilege to definitely be given the GEM loan from Bank of Ireland.

So yeah, from reading A LOT of the replies on related—but old— threads, it seems many of the successful mature applicants had degrees already or repeated the leaving cert to fill the requirements.

EDIT: I just watched the RCSI mature student open day 2021. All the students bar one had degrees, some even had 2 previously. No idea how they afforded that; but I guess that answers my question. It's probably best to go into my second career path and work on GAMSAT on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arkeda

I'm wondering if there are any successful mature medicine applicants here that applied without meeting the LC requirement for mature entry and don't have a fully-fledged degree? I've applied for some social science courses this year, but I'm not sure if I'll get in. I'm thinking of doing an access to science course in UCD or Maynooth, which will allow me to apply for RCSI and UCD (if I go with UCD). I could obviously apply for the other colleges in the country as well, but they only mention the leaving cert as the entry requirements.

I was thinking of doing volunteer work before the pandemic hit, but I'd definitely like to do some if this is my plan. If I don't get in through the mature entry route, I'd like to do another course that I have an interest in and possibly apply through the graduate entry route, but the fees are absolutely ridiculous and I don't have the privilege to definitely be given the GEM loan from Bank of Ireland.

So yeah, from reading A LOT of the replies on related—but old— threads, it seems many of the successful mature applicants had degrees already or repeated the leaving cert to fill the requirements.

EDIT: I just watched the RCSI mature student open day 2021. All the students bar one had degrees, some even had 2 previously. No idea how they afforded that; but I guess that answers my question. It's probably best to go into my second career path and work on GAMSAT on the side.

Just to to let you know, the mature access to medicine courses in UCC and NUIG do not accept graduates that are eligible to sit the GAMSAT. So in other words, you actually have less competition if you apply to those without a degree, as most people with degrees generally apply to both mature and graduate entry routes to maximize their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DeirdreCF

Hi all,

Your posts have been so helpful.
    Can anyone confirm that nuig only requires one lab science? I only did one lab science (biology). And that they don't require chemistry?

Thanks,
    Deirdre

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Samob

Has anyone got an invite to supply further information to RCSI yet? At the Open Day they said they would write to applicants who reached their HPAT threshold in early April.

Samob wrote: »
    Has anyone got an invite to supply further information to RCSI yet? At the Open Day they said they would write to applicants who reached their HPAT threshold in early April.

Nothing yet , I’d imagine next week? Someone mentioned invites came out around 15th April last year. They said the hpat results would be released to the college on 5th so I’d imagine it would take a few days to organise who they invite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 arkeda

Nothing yet from RCSI either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CopperTone1

I would assume you’ll hear by Wednesday or Thursday. Usually around the 15th.

Best of luck. If anyone has any questions regarding supporting documents or that, send me a message. Glad to help.

1st year RCSI student here, applied mature entry last year.

Thank you.

Just checking in , anyone heard anything from RCSI yet ?

No - I haven’t heard anything.

No - I haven’t heard anything.

Well best wishes with it , I hope you do soon. I haven’t either. I’ll let you know if I do, please do likewise .

The wait is nerve-wracking! I’ll let you know if I hear anything. Best of luck to you with it also.

The wait is nerve-wracking! I’ll let you know if I hear anything. Best of luck to you with it also.

I have to say I usually find I have a fairly level headed approach to most things but this is like death by a thousand cuts :-) I’ll let you know if I hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4 intrepid2021

Same... this wait is nerve-racking

• Advertisement

Same... this wait is nerve-racking

I emailed admissions there now to politely see if there’s any update. They’re usually very helpful. I just hope we all haven’t missed the boat.

Surely someone on here would’ve heard if the invite emails were out?

Advertisement