Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Am I getting this wrong, overreacting or am I right in saying that we're only one step away from no golf? As in the whole country is currently starting at level 2 of the new government covid masterplan and level 3 has no sports allowed already.

Me personally I think that couldn't possibly include golf. That would be a real 'have we learned nothing' type of kick in the balls, but I wouldn't put it past them. GUI have been on the mega conservative side with recommendations around covid and those recommendations' aren't really that anyway. 99.9% of the clubs have treated them as 'orders'.

On a side note pubs -which are still not open now - will be open with restrictions at level 3 and still open (outdoors) at level 4.

What do you think?

From what I've read about the new levels we would need to be at level 5 for golf clubs to be closed and even then you could in theory just allow single golfers out at a time(Highly unlikely). Level seems 4 like it would be back to casual only golf. Level 3 and lower is as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

We know more about what spreads it and what doesn't now. Playing golf basically doesn't. When you open up the clubhouse it might spread it a bit. When you allow people to play golf courses other than their own they'll do trips away with their mates and that definitely spreads it. You could ask people to not leave the County to play but people will ignore that. If you outlaw green fees and open competitions they won't do these trips.

I can't imagine golf being outright banned, but it's possible we'll see some reversal.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

blue note wrote: »
    We know more about what spreads it and what doesn't now. Playing golf basically doesn't. When you open up the clubhouse it might spread it a bit. When you allow people to play golf courses other than their own they'll do trips away with their mates and that definitely spreads it. You could ask people to not leave the County to play but people will ignore that. If you outlaw green fees and open competitions they won't do these trips.

I can't imagine golf being outright banned, but it's possible we'll see some reversal.

Where is the evidence that playing golf with your mates at golf courses other than your own spread the coronavirus?

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Where is the evidence that playing golf with your mates at golf courses other than your own spread the coronavirus?

It's the trips away that do it. Not the golf itself, but the shared cars to the clubs, dinner in the club house after, shared hotel rooms. Not everyone will do all or any of that, but if clubs are open to visitors some will. The only way to stop it is not allowing green fees, then people won't bother making the trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

blue note wrote: »
    It's the trips away that do it. Not the golf itself, but the shared cars to the clubs, dinner in the club house after, shared hotel rooms. Not everyone will do all or any of that, but if clubs are open to visitors some will. The only way to stop it is not allowing green fees, then people won't bother making the trips.

I have not heard of one single case that has occurred under these circumstances. Your proposal to cancel greens fees seems a bit draconian to say the least and would potentially see many golf courses and ancillary businesses connected with golf courses in financial ruin. Plus measures like this would send a clear message to tourism industry that you are not welcome here and any hope of green shoots or recovery would be decimated.
    Yes there has been an uptick in cases recently without a corresponding increase in hospitalisations or deaths thankfully. It hardly necessitates going back or a reversal as you put it to old methods. How long would this last for? Until a vaccine is found?
    We as a country are totally consumed by this virus mainly due to over saturation by media. Most other EU countries are far ahead of us in terms of living beside this thing.

• Advertisement

People from different households sharing cars and hotel rooms increases the likelihood of transmitting the virus. I'm going to assume that no-one is challenging that. Or the fact that golfers will go on trips together and do these things.

Ultimately it's all a balancing act. The government have to balance stopping the spread of the virus with keeping the economy and businesses going, getting kids to school, letting people have fun, keeping up to date with non urgent medical appointments and a million other things.

So in relation to the golf you would have to balance how many cases you'll prevent if you ban green fees against what effect it will have on local economies, the clubs themselves and the golfers who want to do something fun. I'm not saying I know what the right decision is now or what stage that changes, but someone will have to make that call. It's not a decision they'll take likely either.

And just on the corresponding increase in hospitalisations / deaths.

From Wikipedia the number of hospitalisations has increased from about 12 a little over a month ago to low 60s now - a five fold increase. And the deaths in the last 6 weeks have been 2,2,1,1,5,6. So a clear increase there too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay, I think we need to just keep golf centric and not move too much into Covid related posts, they are potentially flaming as there is huge personal impact on everyone in 2020.
    There is a dedicated Covid Forum should anyone wish to discuss further.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865

Thank you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I have not heard of one single case that has occurred under these circumstances. Your proposal to cancel greens fees seems a bit draconian to say the least and would potentially see many golf courses and ancillary businesses connected with golf courses in financial ruin. Plus measures like this would send a clear message to tourism industry that you are not welcome here and any hope of green shoots or recovery would be decimated.
    Yes there has been an uptick in cases recently without a corresponding increase in hospitalisations or deaths thankfully. It hardly necessitates going back or a reversal as you put it to old methods. How long would this last for? Until a vaccine is found?
    We as a country are totally consumed by this virus mainly due to over saturation by media. Most other EU countries are far ahead of us in terms of living beside this thing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cluster-among-golfing-group-in-midlands-a-significant-covid-19-incident-1.4357892

20 cases to be precise, with hundreds needing testing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rippeditup wrote: »

In fairness that is not really anything much got to do with golf.
    The Covid was obviously spread in hotel/restaurants/pubs etc...... ie nowhere near the golf course.

I go on my own, play my game, get in my car and go home. I may go in to use toilet and wash hands, score gets pumped into the app and check in takes the tap of a card.

I really don’t see any need to be worrying about just playing golf Being the cause of transmitting the Covid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As a member of what i assume is the other course in that article (Tullamore), i wouldn't be too worried about it. As above, i usually play solo but even when i do play with others, i observe social distancing and don't use the facilities. No more risk there then walking down the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Supposed to have our Captains Prize tomorrow. Course in Wicklow and I live in Dublin. Tee time is for 8AM. If they don't announce any restrictions until after 6PM I doubt there will be anyone still there to call and see if it's going ahead. Already been moved twice due to the Kildare local lockdown so imagine they should do the same for Dublin. But also they probably just want to get it played at this stage so might just plow ahead with a really reduced field.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Seve OB wrote: »
    In fairness that is not really anything much got to do with golf.
    The Covid was obviously spread in hotel/restaurants/pubs etc...... ie nowhere near the golf course.

I go on my own, play my game, get in my car and go home. I may go in to use toilet and wash hands, score gets pumped into the app and check in takes the tap of a card.

I really don’t see any need to be worrying about just playing golf Being the cause of transmitting the Covid.

this was in relation to the post I was quoting as the previous poster had laid out the scenario that has lead to a cluster.. The golf trip being the reason these guys where there and its spread...

As for playing golf and being smart then its safe, I am playing and just being sensible, social distance, play my slot and go home so not hanging around or staying in clubhouses..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Looking like we might be off the course again folks. NPHET are recommending we go to level 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think casual golf if you live within 5km of the course might be permissible. Not 100% sure though.

No competitions i think too.

They might have to close it we go to level 5. No outdoor gatherings of any size allowed, sports training is on an individual basis only. By the looks of it under level 5 you're not allowed to meet up with others even outside. Unless someone can point to somewhere that says otherwise?

That's if the government goes by the nphet recommendation of course.

I was looking around my club recently though. Lots of lads arriving in cars together, the two fellas I played with last used their hands instead of the putter head to pop the ball out of the hole, only one person supposed to be allowed in the pro shop and that's being completely ignored. We can't be trusted to follow guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Surely they could still allow golf and restrict it to people from the same household or single golfers. How is a single golfer going out any different to sports training on an individual basis?

People won't obey it. We're already not following the guidelines set out. The only way to stop us is to close the clubs.

I'm not convinced they will though. People need some amount of pleasure in their lives. I don't if we can stomach full level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I’d agree that close clubs is the least messy situation if at level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

In some ways coming into winter its the best time in a lot of ways if clubs do have to close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

big_drive wrote: »
    In some ways coming into winter its the best time in a lot of ways if clubs do have to close!

I wouldn't agree, the club I play at is an all year around club. The winter league and turkey comps generate a good bit of revenue for the club.

Post deleted, refrain from posting a flaming Covid post like that please, this is not welcome in this forum, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

etxp wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree, the club I play at is an all year around club. The winter league and turkey comps generate a good bit of revenue for the club.

Same, our winters are very busy with 2x12 holes and lots of casual golf on Sundays.

No time is ideal for a club to be closed, but we'd obviously be better off playing in summer and being off in winter if we could only have one. Playing in summer is more pleasant weather wise, we get more golf due to the light and weather, we do more damage to the course playing in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

The majority of members in Moate would play all year round and we also have busy Winter League and Turkey competitions over 13 holes from Nov 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If we did close the golf clubs it would be utter madness.

We kinda knew when we closed them the first time around that it was bull. We now know for certain that it was bull. So lets do it again.

Has there been any clusters or outbreaks traced back to people playing Golf?

I know of a few cases in our Club but nothing to do with people playing Golf.

Has there been any clusters or outbreaks traced back to people playing Golf?

I know of a few cases in our Club but nothing to do with people playing Golf.

Haven't heard of any issues at all coming from golf clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Haven't heard of any issues at all coming from golf clubs.

even the 2 golf fiascos had nothing to do with playing golf

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    even the 2 golf fiascos had nothing to do with playing golf

unfortunately golf now has a bad reputation and won't be seen to get any concessions.

Advertisement