Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

We are too small too far west jutting into one of the worlds largest moisture sources unlike a continent
    It would be a duller wetter summer with slow moving low pressure systems meandering in from the south,sticking around due to their lack of momentum as they’ve no jet power moving them along
    Instead of looking to build ups of highs from the west,you’d need to look north or northeast for them and they in the rare event that they’d visited would be mainly blocked from us by the slow low procession from the south
    So not a very nice scenario

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Very strange goings on in our climate right now. Was looking through the MT forecast thread and this time last year we were on the verge on a mini heatwave with temps rising to 15-17C in mid March. Now we're looking at a Siberian blast. Love the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand morning here, dry and sunny, looks like back to miserable Rain later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I’m sure the Saudi’s say the same about the Sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I’m sure the Saudi’s say the same about the Sun!

My friend who lives in Pakistan hates the sun because of how dominant it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,494 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Double

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

#BeastFromTheEast, the sequel.

Ding. Ding.

We all know the sequel is never as good as the original though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭beco

A chilly st Patrick’s day!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    My friend who lives in Pakistan hates the sun because of how dominant it is.

too much of anything is boring. As much as we love seeing a good dumping of snow here, Emma showed us that sometimes too much is too much, imagine having those conditions all winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Gonzo wrote: »
    too much of anything is boring. As much as we love seeing a good dumping of snow here, Emma showed us that sometimes too much is too much, imagine having those conditions all winter.

Oh people in Nordic countries and in the alps like snow. The real problem with snow is when it comes and goes regularly over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gonzo wrote:

I would very much welcome that all winter. If I could go skiing in Wicklow and play ice hockey on the frozen lake beside my house every weekend.

What I wouldn't like is one extreme season all year long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ECM 12z is..... yuck.

I stand by what I said about me being sick of the cold and snow. Like Gonzo said, Emma was a bit too much.

Don't mind it coming the end of November but not now. I am a snow bunny but there is a point where it becomes too much to do anything and that certainly was Emma.

Man I'm still wrecked from the last chase! Digging out my driveway was less tiring!

I'm a glutton for punishment though, so bring on The Beast 2.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    ECM 12z is..... yuck.

I stand by what I said about me being sick of the cold and snow. Like Gonzo said, Emma was a bit too much.

Don't mind it coming the end of November but not now. I am a snow bunny but there is a point where it becomes too much to do anything and that certainly was Emma.

Leave the hall:mad: Don't listen to him snow:pac:

sryanbruen wrote:
    ECM 12z is..... yuck.

Go wash that filthy mouth out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Syran the beast will come after you with vengeance if you talk like that :pac:

I do understand how people are looking towards warmth now, I just don't think it's the form horse just yet. I also would be just as happy to see another mega snowfall, however unlikely :D

ECM 12z is..... yuck.

I live close to you and there wasn’t much disruption besides that caused by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Even if we get a direct hit again the sun will be that bit stronger again and so we would require deep deep cold for it to be high impact weather. I wouldn't rule it out though...

I disagree, there have been a good few sunshine hours over the course of almost a full week and there are still feet of snow lying in places, albeit most of it now at that depth is walls that were formed by road clearing.

2 days ago we had 10cm fall in Kilkenny in an hour or two. (Does anyone know how long that stayed on the ground for, in places where anything from before had already thawed?)

If we got even half as bad a dose again, not even, it would still be disruptive. And to be honest while the blizzard conditions were fantastic to experience from a weather point of view, all of the societal issues like not being able to go to work, buy bread, even looting, plus all the damage to farms that came with it made it less enjoyable as a whole than a more "benign" period with deep cold, maybe 15cm of lying snow, and very little wind like in 2010.

ECM 12z is a cold outlier for now. I don't think it will be for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Astronomical winter poking its nose in and saying, "I laugh at your seasonal definitions."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

* books southern holiday to escape forecast marathon 2.0 *

(seriously, we are going to head south for ten days, just not sure which side of the Easter weekend as we have plans to meet up with travelling friends who are running into problems getting away ... we thought we would definitely be going for the last ten days of March but now could be 2nd to 11th of April, and I will be taking that period away from the internet generally speaking)

• Advertisement

Syran the beast will come after you with vengeance if you talk like that :pac:

I do understand how people are looking towards warmth now, I just don't think it's the form horse just yet. I also would be just as happy to see another mega snowfall, however unlikely :D

So be it, at least one group of people will be happy like yourself 'cause if it doesn't come, there is certainly no sign of warm and settled weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

* books southern holiday to escape forecast marathon 2.0 *

(seriously, we are going to head south for ten days, just not sure which side of the Easter weekend as we have plans to meet up with travelling friends who are running into problems getting away ... we thought we would definitely be going for the last ten days of March but now could be 2nd to 11th of April, and I will be taking that period away from the internet generally speaking)

Enjoy a well-deserved break!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cant afford another snow event .

Was well out of pocket due to lost work from last one.

Cmon mild ! Win out.

Surely the beast wont reach our East.

Id think it will reach Scotland and we will just be cold and frosty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Even if we get a direct hit again the sun will be that bit stronger again and so we would require deep deep cold for it to be high impact weather. I wouldn't rule it out though...

To be honest even if we got a few hours of accumulating dry snow at night, from streamers, i'd be happy.
    I will never turn down snow. I do like bay of biscay type thunderstorms and warm days, but there is plenty of time for that afterwards. Also snow at this time of years means less time to wait till next Winter:D
    There seems to be good indications of a high to our north west in fi. So if we do get the child of the beast it may last a bit longer this time.

The thing is snow in late March is taking the piss a bit. 2010 still my favourite event because of when it was as much as what it was. We are only two weeks away from a ~8pm sunset.

So be it, at least one group of people will be happy like yourself 'cause if it doesn't come, there is certainly no sign of warm and settled weather.

There might be
    There’s some nice spring warmth developing in Romania for example
    Southerlies and southeasterlies here will get the temp back up
    The latter would be relatively dry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my biggest issue with Emma was it wasn't possible to go outside and enjoy it and before the final flakes fell last Saturday morning, we were already beginning thaw-mania.

I can still see one snow drift in the field opposite my house but all the other snow piles are melted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Personally I'd love another cold snap, easy to say for me however as I'm not directly affected by it, but God I couldn't be sick of snow after 2 days, was only housebound (confined to the local area really) for realistically Friday, everyday since has been fine.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Personally I'd love another cold snap, easy to say for me however as I'm not directly affected by it, but God I couldn't be sick of snow after 2 days, was only housebound (confined to the local area really) for realistically Friday, everyday since has been fine.
    Aye I appreciate that
    Still scarey walls of snow on roads here and big drifts in fields
    It’s not nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Worst day of the spring in Dublin 5 (although it just began). Mild, damp and drizzly (dry at the moment). It really can't get worse than this, no matter what season it is. I prefer heavy rain.

Advertisement