Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dáil => Dawl or Doyle?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭An Sionnach Glic

Pronunciation at this link in the three main dialects:

http://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/d%C3%A1il

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

And - ugh - on a related note: every morning, my teeth on edge when Keelin Shanley says "Finna Fawl"

I mean, seriously, when she is cooking does she use Aluminium Fawl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭David Webb

Kate, you're right, that Fianna Fáil is mispronounced. Fáil is not Foyle.

Fáil (genitive of Fál) is not the same word as in "le fáil", but it is a homophone, and "le fáil" can be heard at www teanglann ie /ga /guaim /le_fáil

But Fianna is also mispronounced. There is a difference between Fianna and Fine (Fine Gael) --

F+diphthong ia+broad n+a
    F+i+slender n+i

Fáil is one of the recorded words at fuaimeanna dot ie. Three high-quality speakers pronounce all the words there in 3 dialects.

Fuaimeanna also shows the pronunciation of Fine Gael, but for some reason the transcriptions there show that Fine has a slender n in the Western dialect, but a broad n in the Northern and Southern dialects. I don't know where they're getting this from, but presumably they have a reason for saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

David Webb wrote: »
    Fuaimeanna also shows the pronunciation of Fine Gael, but for some reason the transcriptions there show that Fine has a slender n in the Western dialect, but a broad n in the Northern and Southern dialects. I don't know where they're getting this from, but presumably they have a reason for saying that.

Nasc:
    http://fuaimeanna.ie/en/Recordings.aspx?Ortho=gael

Na Cainteoirí
    http://fuaimeanna.ie/ga/Speakers.aspx

Fáil
    http://fuaimeanna.ie/ga/Recordings.aspx?Ortho=f%u00e1il

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

An File wrote: »
    It should be something closer to "daw-yil" really, but RTÉ presenters seem to be trained to call it the Doyle.

same with fianna foyle and fine gwale

that drives me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Doyle is still better than Dawl, by a substantial margin.
    And Foyle , MUCH closer to the original than "Fawl."
    I mean, is Coil the same as Call?
    Toil the same as Tall?

and as for Feena vs. Fianna? that is like saying Reely vs. Really. Spot the missing diphthong, the almost-an-extra-syllable. Reely!

katemarch wrote: »
    Toil the same as Tall?

and as for Feena vs. Fianna? that is like saying Reely vs. Really. Spot the missing diphthong, the almost-an-extra-syllable. Reely!

Yes, as an approximation Foyle and Doyle probably do show the glide into the slender l at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

katemarch wrote: »
    Toil the same as Tall?

Is there such a word as reely?

What do you mean reely vs. Really? 'Ea' and 'ee' in English are pronounced the EXACT same.
    E.g. meat beat treat real deal tea mean

The old Ea sound can be heard in the pronunciation by some of "Tay, bayte, mayte' etc. For tea beat meat.

One of the few exceptions in which the vowel sound never fully shifted is great.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Is there such a word as reely?

What do you mean reely vs. Really? 'Ea' and 'ee' in English are pronounced the EXACT same.
    E.g. meat beat treat real deal tea mean

The old Ea sound can be heard in the pronunciation by some of "Tay, bayte, mayte' etc. For tea beat meat.

One of the few exceptions in which the vowel sound never fully shifted is great.

Kate is clearly saying that, just as in the word "really", there is a diphthong in Fianna.

Advertisement