Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavy Showers/Thunderstorms - Friday June 8th

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Mt Dillon station in Co. Roscommon got 30.8mm of rain from today's thunderstorm. Stayed dry this evening in my location south of Limerick city. There was evidence that there was heavy rain in town. Heard a good bit of thunder and saw a couple of lightening flashes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Record of today's detected lightning.

GPqarS4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »
    It was a great day for a lot of the country alright, I'm glad lots of you got some action. I'm dying for a decent thunderstorm here, it has been years since we got anything noteworthy other than a few rumbles here and there.

I have vague memories of the big one in 1985, I was only 6 years old but it stuck with me and I think I've been chasing that memory ever since. The early snow memories of the 80s have been re-lived multiple times in recent years which just goes to show how rare a good thunderstorm is, around these parts anyway!

Indeed. Ireland as a whole is desperate for storms. Even to get a few rumbles is a gargantuan struggle, even when the forecast risk is high. When you compare this to Europe, it becomes even more depressing. Some of the storms there last week were the size of Ireland!

Anyways, satellite animation for today showing the growth of those showers today. Unfortunately, the images stopped updating after 9.15pm.

https://imgur.com/a/JLg4kBd

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Croatia and surrounds are getting a right pasting at the moment.

I’ve never seen such concentrated strikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Mt Dillon station in Co. Roscommon got 30.8mm of rain from today's thunderstorm. Stayed dry this evening in my location south of Limerick city. There was evidence that there was heavy rain in town. Heard a good bit of thunder and saw a couple of lightening flashes.

Yes we got heavy rain. It dried up quite quickly afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Cheers Sqautter & Rougies. They are the ones. Amazing to see just how much of the country is covered with recorded sferics today, especially given the benign looking synoptics at the moment.

It kind of hilarious how my location avoided them given the mass of activity on all sides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Indeed. Ireland as a whole is desperate for storms. Even to get a few rumbles is a gargantuan struggle, even when the forecast risk is high. When you compare this to Europe, it becomes even more depressing. Some of the storms there last week were the size of Ireland!

Same here, I haven't heard a single rumble of thunder since the 26th of May last year. Oddly enough it on was my very first day back in the country having spent the previous year in the tropics with near daily thunderstorms so I didn't even take notice of it! I'd kill for even a brief pulse storm at this stage :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

jimmynokia wrote: »
    AND NO PICS....GTFO

Battery on my phone died.

I used the last 1% I had to record 1 minute of video and it was the only minute without a single flash I reckon. Just my luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

There wasn't a single clap of thunder in south east yesterday. I spent the day in Waterford, Tipp, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford. Toured every county and not even a drop of rain. 
    Bit of a shock to see how bad the west got it on that map.

Advertisement