Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms/Heavy Rainfall 01st June 2018

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

lolie wrote: »
    I heard plenty of distance thunder to the west, south and east today but only managed to see one flash.

Is the fair to say there was more lightning today than expected across the country?

It was never that clear . Potential was there all right but lately some days the parameters seemed to be there but very little result so maybe there was an air of caution as to making predictions.

AROME , ECM doing well in these set ups I think. WRF 2km very handy too. For me it is a great time for learning. The days when lightning does not materialize after being shown to have potential are great for learning also in trying to find out what was going on in the atmosphere to prevent the convection maturing.

EDIT: In hindsight there was good evidence for the potential of significant thunderstorms / heavy rainfall , just hard to predict exactly how much perhaps. The models did well in predicting the general areas that saw the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Lots of this in this thread atm
    Trump-Pram-Website_800.png

For those of you who don't know or haven't read the last few days of posts in the convective thread, you simply cannot predict exactly where convection will kick off. I'll always remember the analogy of boiling a pot of water... do you know that it will eventually boil? - Yes... do you know exactly where and when in the pot you will see the bubbles form? - No

IMO the opinions of the usual crew over in the convective thread where all pretty much on the same page ( pardon the pun? ) and this event has gone exactly as expected.

Onto the next...

Ahh dude give the newbies/contributers/amatuers a break, We aint like you with your cool pics etc and expertise and who I respect, However it is a rather small interest in Ireland overall I think,Maybe I am wrong there. (My wife for example loves the storms but thinks I am nutjob going out trying to catch them etc or taking weather pics on which I do alot of on instagram) I think and it is good to be part of it given people may look like a spanner standing on a bridge etc with a tripod and people walking past looking at you strange etc...But you are also right in fairness but it is exciting to go on a lead or what you may think is an active cell and dam right annoying when you get NOTHING...

The good thing is we have a good community here with genuine interest which is good to see and the same names always appear here with such events....
    It is also a great place for crowdscourced info giving near if not live times of info which I might suggest which is great for feedback, Worked on a few apps with information like this and was wondering if it could be taken further but with our sporadic weather events it may not be feasable, Just reminds me of a few crowdscourced apps for info I checked out for my blog which is interesting and helpful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

New warning issued for tomorrow, Connaught in the firing line this time
    NATIONAL WARNINGS

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath
    High intensity rainfall in scattered thunderstorms will lead to spot flooding. 25 to 50mm possible in downpours.

Issued: Friday 01 June 2018 21:00

Valid from Saturday 02 June 2018 12:00 to Saturday 02 June 2018 22:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Top class Super-Rush. That wins the prize!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got my wish for today: totally bone dry and no rain.

If I escape tomorrow then it will be dry for another week. The UK forecasters are showing a lot of instability tomorrow over the North-East and Northern Ireland so perhaps some showers at my location tomorrow, but hopefully not!

Grass here is starting to wilt and turn yellowish brown in places: a sign of a decent start to Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

If tomorrow is dry then the last time we had rain in Cork City was last Saturday during the thunder storm :) every day has been above 21 degrees in my area since then! (Besides Sunday. That wasn't very nice)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The last week has been great in terms of sunshine and no rain, but temperatures have been up an down with the breeze killing most of the warmth up to Wednesday this week.

We had 23C during the warm weekend at the start of the month, but so far the current spell has produced a high of 22C at my location, which isn't very hot, but pleasantly warm. Hopefully we will get a Spanish Plume at some stage this Summer with a tasty 29C some afternoon!

I am in Spain next weekend for a few days so hopefully will get to feel proper 25C+ for a few days, and maybe even a Thunder Storm or two!.

I have yet to hear thunder or see lightning at my location this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gonzo wrote: »
    The last week has been great in terms of sunshine and no rain, but temperatures have been up an down with the breeze killing most of the warmth up to Wednesday this week.

We had 23C during the warm weekend at the start of the month, but so far the current spell has produced a high of 22C at my location, which isn't very hot, but pleasantly warm. Hopefully we will get a Spanish Plume at some stage this Summer with a tasty 29C some afternoon!

I am in Spain next weekend for a few days so hopefully will get to feel proper 25C+ for a few days, and maybe even a Thunder Storm or two!.

I have yet to hear thunder or see lightning at my location this year.

No pleasing some folks - 22/23 is basically my upper limit of 'comfortable'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Agreed. That with a light warm breeze. Perfect.

MJohnston wrote: »
    No pleasing some folks - 22/23 is basically my upper limit of 'comfortable'!

I love those temperatures, but they are not that warm. Those sort of temperatures are normality in London most of the summer and not temperatures to rave about. Sadly most summers we rarely reach those temperature unless the Atlantic is put to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If I escape tomorrow then it will be dry for another week. The UK forecasters are showing a lot of instability tomorrow over the North-East and Northern Ireland so perhaps some showers at my location tomorrow, but hopefully not!

Grass here is starting to wilt and turn yellowish brown in places: a sign of a decent start to Summer![/QUOTE]

Hate in some ways to say this but we do need rain. Maybe just at night, "Camelot" style!!!! Next thing we will be facing a drought... and wild fires...Grass needs to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Ive seen more rain fall here in my part of Athlone in the last 5 minutes than I did all day yesterday even though parts of the town had roads flooded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Graces7 wrote: »

Grass here is starting to wilt and turn yellowish brown in places: a sign of a decent start to Summer![/QUOTE]

Hate in some ways to say this but we do need rain. Maybe just at night, "Camelot" style!!!! Next thing we will be facing a drought... and wild fires...Grass needs to grow.

Agreed, my garden is in a sorry state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just had 5mins of drizzle, hope thats it for the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It flogged rain in my location near Limerick city yesterday evening between 8 and 9pm yesterday evening. Heard a couple bangs of thunder. I did hear almost constant far away thunder from storms in south Limerick and nearby Tipperary earlier in the evening. Rain continued until after 10 last night. No rain at Shannon Airport the nearest Met station to my location. It would have been a spectacle if it was night time.

Nice Sat Pic from the geostationary of the convection over Ireland yesterday.

priKLii.jpg

Advertisement