Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Speech Public Consultation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what is the impetus for this legislation? presumably it comes from the same quarters that peddle the idea that "hate is on the rise".

The number of quangos, "activists", special interest groups and people making a living from this trope is certainly on the rise, a growth industry indeed.

But the idea that our society is more racist and bigoted than it was 30/40 years ago is demonstrably false and i'd like to see anyone argue that point while keeping a straight face.

i can only surmise that those in favour of chipping away at civil liberties have no understanding of the historical context in which the freedoms they take for granted were won and maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

w
    But the idea that our society is more racist and bigoted than it was 30/40 years ago is demonstrably false and i'd like to see anyone argue that point while keeping a straight face.

Who is making that argument or claim?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Boggles wrote: »

I think its to try and suggest a reason for the introduction of this proposed hate speech law.

the trope that hate is on the rise is very much present in the media

the trope that hate is on the rise is very much present in the media

Well, I don't know what barometer one uses to measure that, but every degenerate scumbag now has their own digital soap box.

So I don't really see a problem in reviewing a law from 1989.

A lot has changed since then.

• Advertisement

so we are more tolerant, accepting and diverse than at any time in human history but "scumbags" have the internet. what is the driving force behind the new laws?

so we are more tolerant, accepting and diverse than at any time in human history but "scumbags" have the internet. what is the driving force behind the new laws?

Again, like I asked before what barometer are you using to measure tolerance and acceptance?

Again, like I asked before what barometer are you using to measure tolerance and acceptance?

common sense. can you point to a time in history that was more tolerant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Here we have an African lady, telling the UN that Ireland has always been diverse, and that diversity is what it means to be Irish.
    I guess from now on to challenge her on her complete bullsh1t will be regarded as Hate Speech.

https://twitter.com/HGKrell/status/1205123041925173251

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thats actually a very good point that I had never thought of.

Never before have we needed legislation such as this, we are an open tolerant society already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Here we have an African lady, telling the UN that Ireland has always been diverse, and that diversity is what it means to be Irish.
    I guess from now on to challenge her on her complete bullsh1t will be regarded as Hate Speech.

Who is she representing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is she aware of that....you know....massive problem we have over different religions on this island...

How very scientific.

So you don't know is the actual answer and you are basing it on your opinion.

Just because there was intolerance 40 years ago doesn't mean there isn't intolerance now, or more.

A lot of minorities would be more open now essentially making a larger target on their back, so no it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibilities that actual hate crimes are on the rise.

Either way, I can't see how anyone is crying wambulance over a review of a law from 1989.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Who is she representing ?

Ireland. Sent over by the DOJ I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Ireland. Sent over by the DOJ I'd imagine.

Let her speak for her own people. She doesn't speak for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

How very scientific.

So you don't know is the actual answer and you are basing it on your opinion.

Just because there was intolerance 40 years ago doesn't mean there isn't intolerance now, or more.

A lot of minorities would be more open now essentially making a larger target on their back, so no it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibilities that actual hate crimes are on the rise.

Either way, I can't see how anyone is crying wambulance over a review of a law from 1989.

So theres some foggy notion that hate might be on the rise, we don't know ??,, ya better clamp down on speech laws to be sure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

One of the elephants in the room here is the fact that nativism, a part of human nature which goes back to the dawn of our species and is pretty much hard-wired in to human nature, is now considered a hateful ideology. It is also very often conflated, totally erroneously, with racism. I have very little doubt that this is the primary target of this new legislation as nativist speech has certainly been on the rise for the last number of years - the idea that those native to a particular region have a sort of birthright to be counted first and to be looked after first by the resources and government of that particular region.

It is quite simply moronic that this extremely universal ideology has been classified as racism, but that is essentially what I believe this whole debate to be all about. It is seen as racist, essentially, to believe in any variation of the following two statements: "Regardless of the wars, conflicts, poverties or other hardships taking place in foreign lands, we have no moral responsibility to intervene", and "in a situation of limited resources, we should look after our own natives before we offer to share those resources with foreigners".

Both of the broad statements I have quoted above have a history going back to the birth of human civilisation and when humans first grouped themselves together by families, tribes and so on. They are fundamental in many ways to human nature. But they have relatively suddenly become regarded as completely unacceptable ideologies to express, and laws like this - in many peoples' eyes - are an attempt to further close the Overton Window on such beliefs in order to delegitimise them and prevent them from gaining a foothold in mainstream politics.

I'll give you an example of how this Overton Window has been closed in the context of the debates one generally sees over Trump's border wall proposal on forums such as Reddit's main political discussion areas:

Liberal: "Building a wall is racist!"
    Conservative: "Well how would you propose to defend our border from illegal entrants?"
    Liberal: "Make it easier for people to enter legally, of course!"
    Conservative: "What if we're opposed to a population influx from a foreign country?"
    Liberal: "Then you're a RACIST!!! ARGUMENT OVER!!!!! CHECKMATE!!!!"

It is, whether those on the left choose to accept it or not, an extremely recent phenomenon to regard this type of nativism as "problematic". It is an utter cop out to suggest that desiring a closed border, with a region's resources distributed among those living there and born there but not allowing people to enter from the outside and share in those resources, is a hateful or racist ideology. It is simply part of human nature and is not some fringe, nutcase, extremist belief as the current political mainstream tries to paint it as. Someone is not racist for saying, basically, "I don't actually hate foreign people, I just don't feel any shared responsibility to help them - particularly when we're not currently able to help all our own people". It's an extension of the aeroplane safety message - "ensure your own oxygen mask is secure before you attempt to assist others".

A United States conservative who suggests, to continue this example, that they feel no personal responsibility to help those fleering poverty or persecution in South or Central America, is not racist for saying so. They are not saying that they hate or dislike those people, they are merely suggesting that they hold the generally right wing belief that humans' first responsibility is to themselves and their own 'tribe'.

To give you an Irish historical example, the Plantations probably occurred at least in part because those ruling Britain felt that the country was overcrowded and needed more space for its citizens. Were Irish people "racist" to oppose this? At what point would you define a cutoff beyond which a country can say "ok enough, you are overrunning our own people at this point"?

It is furthermore absolutely not hateful or racist to be opposed to multiculturalism - the unquestioning advocacy of this also being a very recent "requirement" for being considered an acceptable person in the political mainstream. It is perfectly acceptable to suggest that one appreciated the familiarities and comforts of home, and does not want to see those diluted through multiculturalism. But this, also, is very close to being regarded as outright hate speech by the political mainstream.

The reason such hate speech laws are opposed, in short, is because there is a very, very clear and definitive push to close the Overton Window on any form of nativist beliefs, and many people, even those who don't personally hold nativist beliefs, find this both absurd and alarming.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    So theres some foggy notion that hate might be on the rise, we don't know ??,,

There is a foggy notion that it isn't.

That's why laws are review. This is one due a review.

I can't see how any normal healthy minded individual would have a problem with reviewing legislation from 1989.

There is a foggy notion that it isn't.

That's why laws are review. This is one due a review.

I can't see how any normal healthy minded individual would have a problem with reviewing legislation from 1989.

It's in the context of the current climate where the Overton Window is closing on formerly mainstream nativist beliefs, the regular conflation of such beliefs with hatred, and perhaps more alarmingly, the fact that the questions on the pre-defined questionnaire you can fill out on the public consultation website very much implying the presumption that hate speech being on the rise, and that measures to prohibit it being necessary, are pre-accepted facts and not open for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

You realize you are linking a Tweet pushing the racist White Replacement trope?

• Advertisement

It's in the context of the current climate where the Overton Window is closing on formerly mainstream nativist beliefs, the regular conflation of such beliefs with hatred, and perhaps more alarmingly, the fact that the questions on the pre-defined questionnaire you can fill out on the public consultation website very much implying the presumption that hate speech being on the rise, and that measures to prohibit it being necessary, are pre-accepted facts and not open for discussion.

Yeah, you are way over thinking it buddy.

The law is 30 years old it needs to be reviewed.

The Great Replacement is a bullsh!t conspiracy theory, but it has arisen from the same context I've outlined above. When the mainstream bands together to declare nativism hateful and invalid without allowing any discussion of same, that creates the perfect breeding ground for conspiracy theories.

Closing the Overton Window is almost always bad for politics and almost always leads to increases in polarisation, echo chambering and extremism. I lay the blame for that firmly at the feet of those who are trying to close it, rather than those who are reacting to its closure, whether their reaction is proportionate or not. Closing it in the first place is highly undemocratic and symptomatic of a power grab, and those who are doing it are in my view far more dangerous to the core concepts of democracy than those who are reacting to that attempt to close the window, regardless of how asinine their reaction might be. It's a case of cause and effect, and in this case, the cause - and those responsible for implementing it - is utterly toxic.

That's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it. I'm basing my own opinion on trends in the media and in mainstream discourse over the last five or six years, which have been going firmly in one direction with regard to categorising ordinary political beliefs as socially unacceptable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This individual talking blatant bullsh1t and is seeking to rewrite facts and history to push this "multicultural" ideology further.

The so called "diversity" of Ireland almost entirely came from conquest and colonisation and all the long strife and human costs that came from that, and as if it needs to be pointed out by neighbouring peoples, who looked the same and had pretty similar cultures. Our very genetics reflect this. Most of the Irish genetic makeup is "local", with some small Scandinavian and British influences going from east to west. Religiously? How in God's name could anyone sitting there listening to this nonsense keep any semblance of a straight face? Outside of a tiny number of Jewish folks, over the last one and a half thousand years we've had the one religion, later split in two, which caused a bit of hassle... Yet even this lack of "diversity" reshaped this country and still does to this day. Has this multicultural mouthpiece heard of the north of Ireland in her travels? Or maybe her script writers didn't mention that.

Can you imagine if some White freckle faced Irish woman carrying a newly minted Japanese passport that was statistically more than likely issued on the back of having a kid in Tokyo after entering Japan illegally, representing Japan at the UN to claim that Japan was always been ethnically, linguistically and religiously diverse and now she's magically Japanese? GTFO! Neck like a jockey's bollocks would likely be the more tame of descriptions.

Who is she? What is the wider background to this? Who is supporting and paying for this junket/trip to the UN? What are their goals? What vested interests are they promoting on behalf of the Irish people? Why is nobody in authority calling rightful bullshit on this?
    Good luck with that question...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

you're fooling no one with this 30 years codology. this is an ideologically driven attempt to curb civil liberties...an ideology you subscribe to, nothing whatever to do with the age of the law which is in fact comparatively recent as laws go. just realise that one day this authoritarian sh1te may well be used against you, these things go in cycles.

That's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it. I'm basing my own opinion on trends in the media and in mainstream discourse over the last five or six years, which have been going firmly in one direction with regard to categorising ordinary political beliefs as socially unacceptable.

It's not really my opinion though, best practice would dictate legislation would be reviewed in a timely fashion, this one is 30, years old it is time.

Any particular example of the media (vast term) not finding some political belief socially unacceptable?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK and fair enough, but if a snake brings me the news that the sky is blue, it doesn't change the colour of the sky. Is the entire video of the conference available somewhere else so that we can make up our own minds? Did that woman make that speech at the UN? Did she do so representing Ireland and the Irish in any official capacity? Is the video doctored? Did she say something else less insane? Do you buy her spiel?

From what I can gather you're of a Republican bent and OK, but do you agree that Ireland has always been a diverse nation and this diversity was welcome and advantageous?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If only there was some way people could make their feelings known about this...

you're fooling no one with this 30 years codology. this is an ideologically driven attempt to curb civil liberties...an ideology you subscribe to, nothing whatever to do with the age of the law which is in fact comparatively recent as laws go. just realise that one day this authoritarian sh1te may well be used against you, these things go in cycles.

:pac:

Anyway, which of your civil liberties will be curbed because a law that is 30 years old is being reviewed.

Specifically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yes. A society can't aim for free expression and then haggle over the price.

God bless your cotton socks. I'd want a Wahhabi 'education centre' bulldozed into the sea with the clerics in it.

Has Hitler been mentioned yet? Hitler bitched-and-moaned about his 'free speech' when he was banned from using it at a rally in Bavaria. A few years later people were being hanged by his crowd for saying the wrong thing.

Our freedoms need to be protected from those who'd seek to destroy them, some vague sense of entitlement to 'free speech' has potentially dire consequences for reasonable people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement