Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium bikes...

Options
  • 26-09-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi folks.

It's nearly new bike time for me and I'm seriously considering a Titanium road bike but, I dont know anybody who owns one. I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm no racer but I can do big miles.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Nice unbuilt Van Nicholas Ventus frame hanging in a certain bike shop in Carrick....just saying. :-)

Might even be some carbon forks lying around that would suit, as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

8valve wrote: »
    Nice unbuilt Van Nicholas Ventus frame hanging in a certain bike shop in Carrick....just saying. :-)

Oh you tease. I might have to pop up for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Was only talking to a guy yesterday with a litespeed titanium for sale that he doesn’t use.

I’ve a litespeed ghisallo myself. Raced it for years great machine. Solid and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fugs!! wrote: »
    ..., I dont know anybody who owns one. I'd love to hear your opinions...
    Mercian Pro of this parish has a Van Nicolas. He might spot the thread soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fugs!! wrote:
    Oh you tease. I might have to pop up for a look.

Feck off now you, I sold you a beast of a bike years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Lovely bikes got an Enigma myself dream ride

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I’ve a van Nicholas titanium . Titanium is very compliant . I find it very comfortable compared to other bikes I’ve had, particularly on bad road surface . Combine it with a nice set of tubeless tyres and you have a very nice set up for Irish roads. In terms of speed its not as quick as my aero bike . You work for the watts, but the comfort means I can fly over bad surfaces .

Now put a nice titanium bike with carbon wheels and tan wall tyres and you have a very sweet looking bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Mercian Pro of this parish has a Van Nicolas. He might spot the thread soon.

Yes, I bought my VN Ventus in 2016 and have covered over 40k km on it since then. Van Nicholas only made the Ventus for a few years as its popularity hit the sales of their more upmarket and expensive frames. At the time, frame only cost about £800 and Fatbirds even included carbon forks at that price.

As it says on the seat tube, "Nothing looks, rides, lasts like titanium"! The looks are decidedly retro with similarly sized tubes as steel but with neat welds instead of lugs and the classy natural finish. The ride is certainly smoother than any aluminium or carbon bike I have had without being anyway spongy and it has been well tested on many rough downhills in NCD and elsewhere. Four years is too soon to be vouching for its durability but, unlike carbon, I have no worries about possible invisible damage following a couple of crashes. The only negatives are the limited clearance for any tyres larger than 25mm and the lack of mudguard mounts.

On the Angel of Mons audax a couple of years ago I joined up with a group of eleven heading for Castlebellingham. Eight of the group were riding titanium frames and I suspect the combined milage of the Ti bikes must have been well into the hundreds of thousands. All were different makes but everyone I spoke with was perfectly happy with their choice. If you are into doing big miles, titanium is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

Thud wrote:
    if you have a few k lying about

Plenty of lads out there spending that on bikes, tis nuts though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Yes, I bought my VN Ventus in 2016 and have covered over 40k km on it since then. Van Nicholas only made the Ventus for a few years as its popularity hit the sales of their more upmarket and expensive frames. At the time, frame only cost about £800 and Fatbirds even included carbon forks at that price.

As it says on the seat tube, "Nothing looks, rides, lasts like titanium"! The looks are decidedly retro with similarly sized tubes as steel but with neat welds instead of lugs and the classy natural finish. The ride is certainly smoother than any aluminium or carbon bike I have had without being anyway spongy and it has been well tested on many rough downhills in NCD and elsewhere. Four years is too soon to be vouching for its durability but, unlike carbon, I have no worries about possible invisible damage following a couple of crashes. The only negatives are the limited clearance for any tyres larger than 25mm and the lack of mudguard mounts.

On the Angel of Mons audax a couple of years ago I joined up with a group of eleven heading for Castlebellingham. Eight of the group were riding titanium frames and I suspect the combined milage of the Ti bikes must have been well into the hundreds of thousands. All were different makes but everyone I spoke with was perfectly happy with their choice. If you are into doing big miles, titanium is the way to go.

I’d echo the thoughts on the ventus. Have mine about 4 years too and really like it still. Got it on same deal from fatbirds!
    Have a high end carbon frame too but I think if I had to keep one bike it would be the ventus.
    Have some carbon wheels with tan wall tyres for summer and alu rims for majority of the time. Ride is nice and smooth but the clean look of titanium really appeals to me aesthetically, which is important (not all about performance, sometimes it’s about the kick you get from looking at the bike).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dexif

I built up my J Guillem Major just over a year ago. Fantastic bike so far. Very comfortable but still feels fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Dexif wrote: »
    I built up my J Guillem Major just over a year ago. Fantastic bike so far. Very comfortable but still feels fast...

3t discuss wheels I presume ? Ive the same set on a 3t bike . Really good, spin up quick with a very loud Freehub thst scares the bejesus out of people ,very handy as it wakes the phone zombies up as you pass them!
    Mine are Non tubeless Sadly

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Feck off now you, I sold you a beast of a bike years ago!
    No idea who this is..

Cheers everyone. I think ye have me convinced.

No idea who this is..

Cheers everyone. I think ye have me convinced.

an old acquaintance, hope you re still looking after that trek mountain bike, and yourself!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

I have a J.Guillem Formentor. Bought the frame a couple of years ago to replace a crash damaged frame.

The Formantor is stiff, so maybe not the fabled Ti "magic carpet" ride so rave about - that said while not over relaxed, the geometry is not as aggressive as some of my my bikes, and is compliant and seems to soak up road buzz -
    slightly on the heavy side compared with some of my other bikes but I love it on long rides unless it a very hilly day - that said it handles well and still feels fast... unless on mad gradients, but advancing years, and other stuff may be a factor here too and is not as fatiguing as some of the super stiff stuff in the garage.

Love the different raw finish of Ti. Fantastic bike so far.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    an old acquaintance, hope you re still looking after that trek mountain bike, and yourself!;)
    Ah nice one B. All good buddy. Haven't seen you in 15 years I'd say.

Ah nice one B. All good buddy. Haven't seen you in 15 years I'd say.

rockin l, all good hear, hope you re well

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dexif

Oberkon wrote: »
    3t discuss wheels I presume ? Ive the same set on a 3t bike . Really good, spin up quick with a very loud Freehub thst scares the bejesus out of people ,very handy as it wakes the phone zombies up as you pass them!
    Mine are Non tubeless Sadly

Yep, find them very good. Was looking for an all-rounder at a decent price. Picked them up on a CRC sale so was even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I had a VN Aquillo and loved it. Simple, classic lines and a stunning finish, allied to a lush ride and agility I wasn't expecting.

Will definitely get another one, should never have sold it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that begs the question - why *did* you sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

that begs the question - why *did* you sell it?

....a BMC SLR01 frameset became available to me at a very attractive price! I tried to reason with the Mrs but she was having none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I have a Merlin Agilis, did Tour of Flanders on it a few years ago, was perfect.

Only bike I would never sell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Got a link to that one? I've been riding on a borrowed titanium bike the past week and have fallen in love with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Jays. Can't believe this. All so positive and not a single dissenting voice.

My sole experience of titanium was a single bike hire day in Majorca. Shop told me people raved over them and they were going to get more for the following year.

Well I found it noticeably sluggish on hairpin corners compared to the carbon bike I'd hired from the same shop a couple of days previously

Won't argue with comfort or sponginess but when I'm out of the saddle and putting watts through the pedals I like the bike to react instantly. Remember deciding after never again

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sparky_marcus

Why fork out for Titanium with all the potential weld issues down the road when steel has come on so much, Reynolds 853 or 931 stainless FTW

Why fork out for Titanium with all the potential weld issues down the road when steel has come on so much, Reynolds 853 or 931 stainless FTW
    What weld issues? Surely you can have weld issues with steel also.. I love titanium as a material having worked with it years ago I became quite mesmerised by its properties.

Jays. Can't believe this. All so positive and not a single dissenting voice.

My sole experience of titanium was a single bike hire day in Majorca. Shop told me people raved over them and they were going to get more for the following year.

Well I found it noticeably sluggish on hairpin corners compared to the carbon bike I'd hired from the same shop a couple of days previously

Won't argue with comfort or sponginess but when I'm out of the saddle and putting watts through the pedals I like the bike to react instantly. Remember deciding after never again
    I'd prefer to be comfortable if cycling for 8 or 10 hours tbh but, I'll take note of your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

What weld issues? Surely you can have weld issues with steel also.. I love titanium as a material having worked with it years ago I became quite mesmerised by its properties.

You probably know as well as anyone then the complexities of welding titanium. There are horror stories of welds around bottom brackets cracking, and very few bike builders willing to take on repairs due to the complexities.

The cost is the main reason I never investigated titanium, but I have a 2020 volare 931 and love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

comete wrote: »
    You probably know as well as anyone then the complexities of welding titanium. There are horror stories of welds around bottom brackets cracking, and very few bike builders willing to take on repairs due to the complexities.

The cost is the main reason I never investigated titanium, but I have a 2020 volare 931 and love it.

I found it quite difficult to track down reliable information on the failure of Ti welds. Most of the articles I found seemed to be based on a very limited number of actual defects. I agree that finding someone to repair a Ti frame could be a problem but, with a lifetime guarantee from Van Nicholas, hopefully I will never need to go looking for a welder.

On the issue of price, I see that the Volare 931 frameset is listed at £2,300 on the Genesis website. I would be surprised if there aren't a fair few Ti framesets available at or below that price. They do list the Croix de Fer in Ti at £200 more than the Volare but I don't really know how the two frames compare. Both look terrific as I'm sure you know comete.

Advertisement