Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Premier league 2020

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

as soon as Wright hit a 170 checkout durrants game went to piuces and he was hanging on....but wright who had the throw to win 7-4 then started doing the same.

Even when durrant who messed up in the last leg, wright made a miscount and blew it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Durrant very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

peteeeed wrote: »
    Durrant very impressive

Extremely impressive MVG doesnt like playing him delighted for him after his mouthing

wonderful result.....MVG loves running his mouth, glad durrant shut it for him

putin-and-the-gimp-13034034-copy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Peter Wright had a 9 darter tonight! Just tuning in now for Durrant v Anderson.

• Advertisement

MVG again beaten, his average was decent but price was excellent, very tight to see who will make it through. Durrant should have been beaten but again finds a way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Oh dear Smith 7-2 up draws 7-7 against Durrant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Oh dear Smith 7-2 up draws 7-7 against Durrant

Absolute bottle job... such a waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

MVG is all out of sorts, Wright just blew him away

well done michael smith, proving me right yet again.

People whinge when I said he was over rated and the biggest choker in the game, and he sums up everything that is wrong with the pdc ranking system.
    This guy is the pdc #4 despite never winning a thing of note in his dismal career.
    In fact when he is introduced on stage the only title they can say he won is a world series event, and that was an invitational, glorified exbo from years ago.

• Advertisement

winning the league and winning the title are 2 different things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

True.
    Though I actually think in this competition winning the league is of more significance (albeit less money and kudos obviously).
    But at the end of the day any of the 4 who qualify have the potential to win a shortish format semi & final competition - fecks sake Barney even won it.

But winning the league part has up to now been a signal of an era of darts dominance.
    I doubt Ando or GD are going to have such an era, age alone is against them. So maybe it's a different signal. Perhaps we are, for the first time since maybe the 80s, entering an era where there's no dominant #1 player.

And?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Actually winning the league is the true reflection on who the best player of the tournament was, not winning the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Devon Petersen and Rod Harrington on comms. Dear Lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

MVG was let off the hook there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So one night to go and not a lot decided.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Premier_League_Darts#Table

Wright v Smith.
    MVG v Gurney.
    Aspinall v Durrant.
    Anderson v Price.

Durrant the only player qualified and needs just 1 leg against Aspinall to guarantee £25K bonus for first.
    Gary Anderson should make it as well - only a defeat for him, and wins for Wright, Aspinall and MVG could stop him. Even then the combined margins of MVG's win and Anderson's defeat would have to sum up to 9 before he'd be in danger.
    Peter Wright is in with a draw or a win. A defeat leaves him vulnerable to Aspinall and MVG overtaking him.
    Nathan Aspinall definitely in with an 8-2 win, as MVG needs to 'outwin' him by 3 legs. Realistically any win will probably be enough. He'll know what target if any MVG has set him before he plays his game.
    MVG could get in with a draw or even a defeat if Durrant beats up Aspinall, but as he's up before that game will want to do a number on Gurney to give himself more outs.
    Price a bit snookered. Needs to win and for both Durrant to beat Aspinall (plausible) and Gurney to beat MVG (more difficult).

So one night to go and not a lot decided.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Premier_League_Darts#Table

Wright v Smith.
    MVG v Gurney.
    Aspinall v Durrant.
    Anderson v Price.

Durrant the only player qualified and needs just 1 leg against Aspinall to guarantee £25K bonus for first.
    Gary Anderson should make it as well - only a defeat for him, and wins for Wright, Aspinall and MVG could stop him. Even then the combined margins of MVG's win and Anderson's defeat would have to sum up to 9 before he'd be in danger.
    Peter Wright is in with a draw or a win. A defeat leaves him vulnerable to Aspinall and MVG overtaking him.
    Nathan Aspinall definitely in with an 8-2 win, as MVG needs to 'outwin' him by 3 legs. Realistically any win will probably be enough. He'll know what target if any MVG has set him before he plays his game.
    MVG could get in with a draw or even a defeat if Durrant beats up Aspinall, but as he's up before that game will want to do a number on Gurney to give himself more outs.
    Price a bit snookered. Needs to win and for both Durrant to beat Aspinall (plausible) and Gurney to beat MVG (more difficult).

As much as I love Van Gerwen, I'd love to see him miss out on the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

US2 wrote: »
    As much as I love Van Gerwen, I'd love to see him miss out on the playoffs.

Looks like your getting your wish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Have to admit I didn't see that coming. As bad as he's been playing I thought he could pull out a big performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Gurney was very good, he's finishing was superb and punished MVG like Wright did. Of course Mardle and Part were too busy talking about MVG to give Gurney any bit of credit

I'd actually fancy Wright to go on and win it out

Someone could have told the greatest talent darts has ever seen that he was allowed practise during lock down, that was shocking

and some people claimed MVG was as good as Taylor........priceless.

Taylor would not have jobbed 8-2 to bottom of the table gurney, or trounced 8-1 by Wright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Afer 16 days in a row we have to wait till October...Did I hear that right?

dexter647 wrote: »
    Afer 16 days in a row we have to wait till October...Did I hear that right?

it was not 16 in a row, but know what you mean about the second half of the PL.

The play off and final were being kept for october and a crowd. That was the rescheduled date, but that could be changed or even brought forward yet again.

With the covid , there is no certainty the crowd will be allowed in late october.

and some people claimed MVG was as good as Taylor........priceless.

Taylor would not have jobbed 8-2 to bottom of the table gurney, or trounced 8-1 by Wright.

In terms of sheer talent I'd have MVG over Taylor any day, Taylor's achievements will never be matched
    Phil's best 3 dart average is 118 in a televised tournament
    Mvg is 123 which is a record
    Of course that's on any given night and different formats but it still shows the heights MVG can hit
    Don't forget in 2014 Taylor went on a run of 6 defeats in 7 TV appearances including a defeat to a guy with a ranking of below 100

peteeeed wrote: »
    In terms of sheer talent I'd have MVG over Taylor any day, Taylor's achievements will never be matched
    Phil's best 3 dart average is 118 in a televised tournament
    Mvg is 123 which is a record
    Of course that's on any given night and different formats but it still shows the heights MVG can hit
    Don't forget in 2014 Taylor went on a run of 6 defeats in 7 TV appearances including a defeat to a guy with a ranking of below 100

Seriously ? You are trying to base your argument on MVG having more talent because of one single average ? Do you realize how utterly stupid that sounds and is ?

You will dismiss 14 PDC world titles, 2 titles in a unified BDO, 16 matchplays, 11 Grand Prix's, 2 nine darters in a game, and countless records that never will be broken, and you use a solitary average to base your argument on......wow,..This is priceless.

Even though MVG did not hit his peak til Taylor was on the wane, Taylor still has the better head to head between the two, and who can forget when Taylor made the Dutch lump cry live on TV...but no, MVG has a higher average on tv so we must dismiss this.

Lets play your game then...Go look at Taylors Competition averages, and look what he done, MVG does not even come close, For example the 2009 European Championship
    Taylors averages per round:
    1st round - 111.03
    2nd rd - 110.88
    QF - 118.14
    SF - 109.36
    Final - 109.35.....that being his lowest average.
    Taylor had a comp average of 111.54

The year before in the same competition, Taylor did this
    1st round - 105.98
    2nd rd - 113.92
    QF - 103.27
    SF - 113.33
    Final - 104.35
    Taylor had a comp average of 108.20 over 66 legs

Not only does Taylor have the record for the 3 highest competition averages, in fact Taylor has 7 of the top 10 competition averages.

Using your logic that MVG has the more talent cos he hit the highest average in a game, then Kim Huybrechts who hit the second highest average must be the second best.

Seriously ? You are trying to base your argument on MVG having more talent because of one single average ? Do you realize how utterly stupid that sounds and is ?

You will dismiss 14 PDC world titles, 2 titles in a unified BDO, 16 matchplays, 11 Grand Prix's, 2 nine darters in a game, and countless records that never will be broken, and you use a solitary average to base your argument on......wow,..This is priceless.

Even though MVG did not hit his peak til Taylor was on the wane, Taylor still has the better

head to head between the two, and who can forget when Taylor made the Dutch lump cry live on TV...but no, MVG has a higher average on tv so we must dismiss this.

Lets play your game then...Go look at Taylors Competition averages, and look what he done, MVG does not even come close, For example the 2009 European Championship
    Taylors averages per round:
    1st round - 111.03
    2nd rd - 110.88
    QF - 118.14
    SF - 109.36
    Final - 109.35.....that being his lowest average.
    Taylor had a comp average of 111.54

The year before in the same competition, Taylor did this
    1st round - 105.98
    2nd rd - 113.92
    QF - 103.27
    SF - 113.33
    Final - 104.35
    Taylor had a comp average of 108.20 over 66 legs

Not only does Taylor have the record for the 3 highest competition averages, in fact Taylor has 7 of the top 10 competition averages.

Using your logic that MVG has the more talent cos he hit the highest average in a game, then Kim Huybrechts who hit the second highest average must be the second best.

Of course not, I'm saying that MVG in terms of talent is the greatest, Taylor is the most successful and always will be, I just quoted their record averages as an example of MVG 's best game being 5 points better than phils best ever average

Taylor took the sport way way higher than it had ever been, MVG has taken it higher

I'll play your game who can forget Taylor resorting to trying to put MVG off while he was throwing by trying to cheerlead the crowd ( the Icelandic clap was embarrassing) while mvg threw at blackpool in 2016 and looked a drunken mess
    I'm not disputing Taylor is the greatest in terms of titles, it's darts throwing talent I'm talking about

• Advertisement

And MVG never played mind games ?

I have posted facts to back why I am convinced Taylor was supremely better.
    I would not even have MVG in the top 2 as I would have Bristow ahead of him as well.Taylor has more titles, more silverware, more total majors, higher comp averages, more longevity etc.

so what are you basing this claim that MVG is the better talent on ?
    , do you have anything other that just an opinion. ?

Advertisement