Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of the first Predator film but remember reading some of the graphic novels when I was younger and loving them.

There's loads of great ideas and stories in them.

I read some of the Alien novels and they were great too.

Actually now that I think about it some of the Batman story lines in the graphic novels were excellent as well.

This.

There is a wealth of material for Predator in the Dark Horse comics; female Predators is a big thing too.

With that in mind, I think Predator 5 sounds really promising; most fans have wanted to see a Predator film set in the past and it could be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

The Predator moving with Adrien Brody was decent. As mentioned previously, the problem with trying to expand Predator is that there is not much of a story to it. An advanced race comes to our planet to hunt for sport. it doesn't bear too much analysis.

Alien is different though. It is plausible at some level. So there is something there to expand upon.

I listened to the three new audio books alien stories they brought out in the last couple of years. Some of them would make decent movies. They take place in the periods between some of the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,288 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Predator sounded really promising with Shane Black attached and turned out to be the biggest pile to steaming crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

dubstepper wrote: »
    The Predator moving with Adrien Brody was decent. As mentioned previously, the problem with trying to expand Predator is that there is not much of a story to it. An advanced race comes to our planet to hunt for sport. it doesn't bear too much analysis.

Alien is different though. It is plausible at some level. So there is something there to expand upon.

I listened to the three new audio books alien stories they brought out in the last couple of years. Some of them would make decent movies. They take place in the periods between some of the movies.

Those Alien audiobooks on Audible are fantastic.

I tried one of the predator ones and it was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

At this point I'd much prefer a bona fide quality sequel to the AvP video game series, rather than another entry in either film series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought the 2018 movie wasn't quite as bad as is made out. I enjoyed it. It's not "Alien VS Predator" level as far as I'm concerned, nor is it very memorable, but it's watchable.

2010 one is certainly better though. For me the only truly awful Predator movie is the first AVP. I thought AVP2 was miles better, if nothing else because of the more violent content versus the PG13 crap of the first movie.

But when you consider how easy it would be to make a solid AVP movie, it's frustrating to see the utter crap they came up with.

I also think movies like Alien: Resurrection are a whole new level of bad, Alien: Covenant not far behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Via AVPGalaxy, a production synopsis has popped up for this: trigger warning for those perturbed by female action leads ...
    “The story will follow Kee, a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior. Many years ago – in a time before any Europeans had ever encroached on their lands – the Comanche people had a well defined society and gender norms. Kee is very close to her younger brother, Taabe, who is being groomed as a leader. As capable as any young man in the tribe, Kee has always been a teacher and source of inspiration for Taabe. In the Comanche way – she is Patsi – the elder sister that has helped to shape him. Kee is a truth teller and has insight that others do not. A tomboy, she wants to prove herself in the masculine world of the Comanche. When danger threatens them all – Kee sets out to prove that she is as capable as any young warrior.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

pixelburp wrote: »
    Via AVPGalaxy, a production synopsis has popped up for this: trigger warning for those perturbed by female action leads ...

Excellent; hopefully they may play it something like Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I eagerly await the online neckbeard meltdown.

I think there could be more online backlash of cultural appropriation if the don't cast a Native American actress than there would be with a female action lead

I wonder if there are any many actresses who are Comanche or of Comanche decent.

The only female actresses that are Native American or of Native American decent that I can think of are Devery Jacobs who was in American Gods & The Order on Netflix and Julia Jones.

I know Kelsey Chow from Yellowstone say she is of Native American decent however the tribe she say she is from say they have no evidence that she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sounds like absolute tripe.
    I'm out .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there could be more online backlash of cultural appropriation if the don't cast a Native American actress than there would be with a female action lead

I wonder if there are any many actresses who are Comanche or of Comanche decent.

The only female actresses that are Native American or of Native American decent that I can think of are Devery Jacobs who was in American Gods & The Order on Netflix and Julia Jones.

I know Kelsey Chow from Yellowstone say she is of Native American decent however the tribe she say she is from say they have no evidence that she is.

Good point ... so to that issue, clearly the studio will cast Scarlett Johansson ;)

Then again, Gina Carano's schedule opened up recently ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since a prequel, any guesses to the name?

I'm sure they'll get a Native American actress if they try.
    Either way, I think I'll invest in pitchfork stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CastorTroy wrote: »

Predatorian?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Predator vs Pocahontas

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Pre-Predator

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'll be outraged if the main predator is not female also !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Am I in the ‘Mulan’ thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Elizabeth Warren?

I'm sure they'll get a Native American actress if they try.
    Either way, I think I'll invest in pitchfork stocks.

I imagine it'll be something colon'ised ala Terminator: Dark Fate etc. ... so Predator: Tribal, or Predator: First Hunt. Actually, I kinda like the latter 'cos it feels to the point, and bland. As Hollywood are fond of.

Long road to go on this, but I'm open to the idea at least, 'cos god knows this franchise is stagnant and lacking any ideas. See Einstein's definition of insanity 'n all that. Outrage bores will huff and puff all the way to release, but I'll always take interest in an attempt towards a new idea. Sequels set in historic times always seemed like a no-brainer TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the part of the US where the Comanches inhabited was kind of the prairies areas, there wont be grand forests to hide in

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    the part of the US where the Comanches inhabited was kind of the prairies areas, there wont be grand forests to hide in

God I hope so; among all the other things wrong with the Predator franchise, it's that insistence that oh, we gotta go to a forest. Not like there weren't plenty of other things wrong with the 2018 film, but the moment the cast all wandered into the forests, I laughed out loud at the inanity of it. You could practically hear the studio shouting at the writers, "Put them in the forest damnit, it's Predator, right??"

Trachtenberg is a good director, and I'd hope he'll be allowed to make use of those dramatic vistas to build something unique, but wouldn't rule out more executives insisting on the visual tropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Pre-Predator

Young Predator

Predator: The Early Years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

Predator: AD

Which doesn't even make any sense in the context, but.....:cool:

As for the pitch....initially I was instinctively hostile, but it's probably worth trying something new, a sort of Apocalypto/Predator hybrid with rich sweeping visuals could be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Predator: Predated.

Predator vs Pocahontas

Well aren't both Disney now?

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'll be outraged if the main predator is not female also !!

d60.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Elizabeth Warren?

Halfway through the final confrontation, she pauses to get herself a beer.

The working title according to Trachtenberg is Skulls.

edd884015aa7f0e7edc73334e8578902.jpg

Ah so the Predator's part of a secret society?

Side note, Is there a name for the Predator's species? Or is it just the same way Aliens are xenomorphs?

Ah so the Predator's part of a secret society?

Side note, Is there a name for the Predator's species? Or is it just the same way Aliens are xenomorphs?

Yautja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The current Predator game got an update recently, a Viking themed Valkyrie predator who would hunt Vikings who relished the chance for a glorious death fighting her.

I'd watch a Viking themed Predator movie or a Apocalypto version, but I very much doubt this will be anything like Apocalypto. We're going to get a heroine who's better than everyone else but they won't recognize that or accept her, and at some point she'll beat the predators will little effort and all the tribe and any predators left will all cheer.

The film will probably get great reviews and still bomb (like terminator), all involved will probably just blame low ticket sales on post covid apprehension.

Advertisement