Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Now that would be madness.

Though I will admit to enjoying the last Predator movie somewhat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Now that's the kind of Ready Player One toybox thinking I could get behind: Paddington 3, featuring our titular bear befriending a lost Predator through a shared love of marmalade sandwiches.

*The predator rattle sounds across 32 Windsor Gardens*

Mrs. Bird: Paddington, really!
    Paddington: It wasn't me Mrs. Bird!
    Mr. Brown: I say, don't look at me.
    Paddington: It was probably my new friend; he seems a bit shy. There he is hiding in the corner. Perhaps he's just hungry.

*hijinks ensue*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I could see how a less special effect dependant movie could work.
    Think Predator meets Apocalypto.

They'll never do it though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Now that's the kind of Ready Player One toybox thinking I could get behind: Paddington 3, featuring our titular bear befriending a lost Predator through a shared love of marmalade sandwiches.

*The predator rattle sounds across 32 Windsor Gardens*

Mrs. Bird: Paddington, really!
    Paddington: It wasn't me Mrs. Bird!
    Mr. Brown: I say, don't look at me.
    Paddington: It was probably my new friend; he seems a bit shy. There he is hiding in the corner. Perhaps he's just hungry.

*hijinks ensue*

south-park-netflix-1.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

pitch it to Netflix !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I could see how a less special effect dependant movie could work.
    Think Predator meets Apocalypto.

They'll never do it though

Sounds like something that would work but it then you have to remember we seen a bunch of Marines with high powered weapons get absolutely destroyed by a Predator ,

But I guess you have to be willing to forget that when watching a movie, But ye I like your idea, The fact it could take place in the jungle and not out a Prairie like this one surely will be appeals more ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Did anyone ever read the Predator comics? There was one where some redneck out in the woods is being chased by a predator and ends up killing it. And eats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

will be interesting to see how a 120lb girl with no real weapons can do what a group of elite military armed to the teeth could barely manage :D

https://twitter.com/TheDisInsider/status/1395886122660622336

"The newest installment on Predator franchise will follow Kee (Midthunder), a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior. Many years ago – in a time before any Europeans had ever encroached on their lands – the Comanche people had a well defined society and gender norms. Kee is very close to her younger brother, Taabe, who is being groomed as a leader. As capable as any young man in the tribe, Kee has always been a teacher and source of inspiration for Taabe. In the Comanche way – she is Patsi – the elder sister that has helped to shape him. Kee is a truth teller and has insight that others do not. A tomboy, she wants to prove herself in the masculine world of the Comanche. When danger threatens them all – Kee sets out to prove that she is as capable as any young warrior."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

pixelburp wrote: »
    After the garbage fire that was the 2018 film, I'd have hoped they leave this IP to gather dust. But it's yet another Disney property now so why not, let's have another go. I suppose after the disastrous Shane Black version, the series couldn't get any worse?

The Shane Black version is quite possibly in the top worst films ever made. Absolute dogshít from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Predator : The Wokening

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

How many times do Predator movies have to fail before Hollywood moves on? There has to be a better bet.

The first one was a hit because it had the biggest movie star in the world fighting an alien. You can't reboot these things (Total Recall, Conan, every Terminator sequel beyond the 90s) because the attraction was Schwarzenegger at his peak, not the IP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

The first one was a hit because it had the biggest movie star in the world fighting an alien. .

I guess the modern day equivalent would be to manufacture an actual Predator and get Tom Cruise to fight it on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

El Duda wrote: »
    I guess the modern day equivalent would be to manufacture an actual Predator and get Tom Cruise to fight it on the moon.

Well, Cruise wants to make that movie in space and he'll prob die either way if he does, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How many times do Predator movies have to fail before Hollywood moves on? There has to be a better bet.

The first one was a hit because it had the biggest movie star in the world fighting an alien. You can't reboot these things (Total Recall, Conan, every Terminator sequel beyond the 90s) because the attraction was Schwarzenegger at his peak, not the IP.

Thats a bit harsh.
    Predator, Total Recall and Terminator 1 and 2 are alot more than a Schwarzenegger vehicle.
    They had brilliant directors in Cameron, Verhoeven and Mc Tiernan who knew how to make a good film often on a low budget.
    Total Recall also had a decent short story by Philip K Dick upon which to work off.
    There are very few directors of their type around nowadays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same answer as anything really; when the studios figure there's an audience who'll pay to watch it. And now that it's a Disney property? Hoo boy you better like having your favourites rammed down your throat 'til you beg them to stop :)

Thats a bit harsh.
    Predator, Total Recall and Terminator 1 and 2 are alot more than a Schwarzenegger vehicle.
    They had brilliant directors in Cameron, Verhoeven and Mc Tiernan who knew how to make a good film often on a low budget.
    Total Recall also had a decent short story by Philip K Dick upon which to work off.
    There are very few directors of their type around nowadays.

The biggest movies back then where adult action movies ,
    Now its action movies for kids , No adult action movies do great these days ,

Times have just changed what people want is different things ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, it succeeds because of more reasons than Arnie. It's a nice, self contained, action movie, in a great setting, that introduced a genuinely interesting monster that picks off the cast one by one. It's a tried and tested formula that works.

But none of the sequels or spin offs could even hope to replicate that, let alone better it. 'Predator 2' was ok. But it was just ok. And every attempt is simply an exercise in diminishing returns.

But, really, the franchise is just absolute shit. And like loads of things from the 80's, it just needs to die. They aren't going to capture that lightening in a bottle again...

...ever.

The biggest movies back then where adult action movies ,
    Now its action movies for kids , No adult action movies do great these days ,

Times have just changed what people want is different things ,

People still want the same thing, there just arent many good adult action films made anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Predator : The Wokening

Because of a female lead? The last one had a big bunch of manly men delivering lines written by a manly man and was still sh1t. Should there be some kind of guarantee that the same formula should be used again?

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, it succeeds because of more reasons than Arnie. It's a nice, self contained, action movie, in a great setting, that introduced a genuinely interesting monster that picks off the cast one by one. It's a tried and tested formula that works.

But none of the sequels or spin offs could even hope to replicate that, let alone better it. 'Predator 2' was ok. But it was just ok. And every attempt is simply an exercise in diminishing returns.

But, really, the franchise is just absolute shit. And like loads of things from the 80's, it just needs to die. They aren't going to capture that lightening in a bottle again...

...ever.

The unknow monster is what made it , what's out there , what's hunting us & so on
    Once it becomes the know the magic is gone ,

Only way to recapture that is to make a Predator movies without people knowing its a predator movie,

Predator 2 had the right idea of not trying to just slavishly recreate the first film; the end result was so-so but that wasn't the fault of the fundamental concept.

Predators & The Predator (Bloody 'ell the naming scheme is stupid) both made that mistake; far too much fan service clogging up the ability to fashion a script or story worth a damn.

The Predator isn't an especially deep bench here, but sequels are easy to come by with just a little effort: so while folks might snark about this sequel, it's going for the right idea. Take the Predator into new environments, with new dangers, threats and stakes for its cast. Earth's past has always been the most blindingly obvious place to go.

• Advertisement

So maybe we should rename the thread: according to the producers via an interview with collider, the film is officially called "Skull"; also, production is already 3/4s the way through - which I hadn't known. Had thought it might still be in pre-production TBH.

Tempted to put five pretend dollars on the name changing after some executive cold feet over a franchise-free name like that.

Apparently its the first time the Predators have come to Earth, they might come up with a title that builds that into it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Going by Hollywood's love of the colon, I would have simply presumed the name was going to be something like Predator: Origins.

its snappy , worst thing would be making the Predators chatting about it

A female hero, nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Have a soft spot for predator 2, it's not amazing but it's very fun.

I haven't watched the 2018 film unless I did and forgot about it but what was absent from the newer films was the occasional comic moments. Yes it's all manly men but they had lighter moments among the carnage.

The new idea sounds like something different, maybe it can work but it either needs to go more serious than the new films, or properly embrace the over the topness, which in the current climate and the setting they have chosen seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Skull: The Predator Saga

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah. I haven’t seen The Predator het, it’s loaded with big ball sacks so I expect a 10/10 experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Like The Terminator, Aliens, Fury Road, Edge of Tomorrow, Kill Bill, Black Widow...

• Advertisement

I've no issue with female heroes when handled and portrayed realistically like in the films you mentioned.

This Predator film is going to be made by Disney and their formula for modern female heroes is poor.

The female will be an overpowered Mary Sue, the Predator will be underpowered and incompetent.

I have very low expectations.

Advertisement