Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Who says being a spare driver is crap? It's grand where I am tbh?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who says being a spare driver is crap? It's grand where I am tbh?

All the marked in drivers trying to defend why they "deserve" that structure due to the years of spare do; just look at threads here going back decades.

Without marked in there would be no spare - everyone would have fair rosters.

L1011 wrote: »
    All the marked in drivers trying to defend why they "deserve" that structure due to the years of spare do; just look at threads here going back decades.

It's only the fellas here 15 plus years that complain... Harking back to ye old times when they could double shift ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Further reason to get rid of the Victorian marking in system.

Screw over the newer staff and have them think it's a good thing because they might get to be the screwer not the screwee in a decade and a half. If there was no marking in the early career awful shifts would not exist.

I'd like to see a study about the safety risks of giving the experienced staff fixed routes versus giving the inexperienced variable ones too. All standard systems knowledge would see that as an awful idea

Forlock tugging "repsect your betters!" stuff that any union worth paying for should oppose with every fibre of its being is all that's ever given as an attempted coherent argument of support

From my limited knowledge the reason why there are so many spare drivers is because on most routes there are more duties than there is room for marking in positions. There is also senior spare drivers who get more favourable hours than junior spare drivers.

Also conditions for spare drivers have improved in recent years I believe for example spare drivers are now given 48hrs notice of what shift they working which was 24hrs notice I believe. There is also 4 day weeks now for spare drivers if they choose. Btw I do not work for Dublin Bus I am only going off the information I've heard on this website and others.

I'm not sure how having drivers driving different routes is a safety risk once proper route training is done. To the best of my knowledge most drivers would be trained to operate on all routes in their depot whether they be marked in or spare.

Also giving more senior staff more favourable hours is common practice in most public transport operators the world over. Even when I worked in Dunnes Stores senior staff got the more favourable shifts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DB management were sending out details to local reps today claiming this was going ahead as planned - https://www.newstalk.com/news/dublin-to-get-third-24-hour-bus-route-in-time-for-christmas-1115490?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1606858275

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

DB management were sending out details to local reps today claiming this was going ahead as planned - https://www.newstalk.com/news/dublin-to-get-third-24-hour-bus-route-in-time-for-christmas-1115490?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1606858275

Just came on to share this but seems you beat me to the punch :D

How many people are travelling on the 24hr routes since the start of covid. Most of the buses I'm seeing around my area are not carrying much more than 2 or 3 passengers after 8pm. Of course there are still plenty of people going to work early in the morning mind you.

I'd imagine the 39a would still have a decent load due to the industrial areas around Blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I'm a junior spare in Summerhill and loving it the only difference is senior spare driver are on a rolling 5 week rota and juniors are on a rolling 10 week rota..I've being getting great shifts this week but next week I could get bad ones it's part of the job.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GT89 wrote: »
    How many people are travelling on the 24hr routes since the start of covid. Most of the buses I'm seeing around my area are not carrying much more than 2 or 3 passengers after 8pm. Of course there are still plenty of people going to work early in the morning mind you.

Plenty of staff working shifts in hospitals too.

There may not be carrying many at the moment, but they are still a badly needed public service IMO.

And hopefully with the vaccines coming fast now, most of this Covid impact will be over by summer and we will be back to normal packed buses.

I'm very glad that the transport sector has been fully supported through Covid and that innovations like 24/7 buses weren't foolishly stopped, because of a temporary downturn in numbers. These are very important projects and I feel they are building a truly high quality public transport service that the public can rely on at any time of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Who cares about fair rosters? Who cares about any roster of any company?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dfx- wrote: »
    Who cares about fair rosters? Who cares about any roster of any company?

Well I find it strange someone that doesn't do it can have so much say on it....

bk wrote: »
    Plenty of staff working shifts in hospitals too.

There may not be carrying many at the moment, but they are still a badly needed public service IMO.

And hopefully with the vaccines coming fast now, most of this Covid impact will be over by summer and we will be back to normal packed buses.

I'm very glad that the transport sector has been fully supported through Covid and that innovations like 24/7 buses weren't foolishly stopped, because of a temporary downturn in numbers. These are very important projects and I feel they are building a truly high quality public transport service that the public can rely on at any time of the day.

It's just a general observation I'm making. Atm most buses I'm seeing are running around with around about 7 or 8 passengers with some peak services running to or near to the capacity to allow allow for social distancing during Level 5 lockdown during the day but in the evening their even quieter probably more now it's back to Level 3.

Last Christmas I believe some of the departures on the 15 and 41 were running at full capacity. I cannot see there being any capacity issues on 24hr routes this year even with the limited capacity.

Personally I think they should hold off on anymore 24hr routes for another couple of months until we get a clearer picture on how the restrictions and return to normality will be once the vaccine starts to be rolled out. If hospitality and the airport is back up and running then they should push ahead with making more routes 24hrs.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Way-more-trips-Even-better-service/

Officially announced by Dublin bus now - 39a is going 24 hours along with improvements to some other routes. Interesting to note they're beginning to phase out the "city center only" last services

p_haugh wrote: »
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Way-more-trips-Even-better-service/

Officially announced by Dublin bus now - 39a is going 24 hours along with improvements to some other routes. Interesting to note they're beginning to phase out the "city center only" last services

It's an NTA thing, they want terminus to terminus 11:30 departures instead of holding in town. The 'marked in' fellas hate the fact :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My dad's been on the buses long enough to get marked in, but opted against it mainly because he didn't like the attitude they tended to have and becuase someone was still going to have to drive the bus anyway.

The issue with rosters in DB isn't whether or not someone is marked in. It's how the progress from early to late starts. My dad was working lates the start of this week, with a rest day yesterday. He's on first car today.
    It's only the fellas here 15 plus years that complain... Harking back to ye old times when they could double shift ;)

You must be on a very kind shift rotation.

Not particularly, I'm just smart enough to know that for what we actually do, it's not worth complaining about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not particularly, I'm just smart enough to know that for what we actually do, it's not worth complaining about.

Yeah, someone needs to drive the bus for sure. But I don't think the aggressive change in start times that I see my dad go through, should be kept going. There's no reason it can't be reviewed with a much more staggered approach to ease going from a late shift to an early shift (vice versa).

Yeah, someone needs to drive the bus for sure. But I don't think the aggressive change in start times that I see my dad go through, should be kept going. There's no reason it can't be reviewed with a much more staggered approach to ease going from a late shift to an early shift (vice versa).

Well there's an agreement on marking ins that they do the first and last cars, so they chose it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well there's an agreement on marking ins that they do the first and last cars, so they chose it :D

Not anymore, lots of changes and the spare gets the better duties now for lates on some roads including lat workout which were all taken from the marked in previous....

I started there was no following, no long term sick cars or blocks or any of that and neither was there text of over 24 hour before dutyetc etc....

• Advertisement

The problem isn't whether or not 1 does a first car or last car. It's how quick your shift can transition from a last car to a first car and vice versa. There was only 1 rest day between them.

The problem isn't whether or not 1 does a first car or last car. It's how quick your shift can transition from a last car to a first car and vice versa. There was only 1 rest day between them.

Still get that as spare though, usually works out at the other end

It shouldn't be happening like that though, it needs to step up and step down, instead of just swinging from one to the other.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It's an NTA thing, they want terminus to terminus 11:30 departures instead of holding in town.

Makes a lot of sense, from a passenger perspective. I've always said 11:30 or really 11:00 to 11:15 depending on route if only going into the City Center, is far too early.

Crazy when you are at a 9ish movie showing and you could still miss the last bus!

Really not good enough for a European capital city and this is separate from the new 24/7 routes, really it applies to all routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Under BusConnects wasn't the plan to have all last departures at 00:00 with the exception of 24/7 routes. I think in a post vaccine Summer of 2021 we're going to see a real boom in the night time economy, the government should use this time to reform licensing laws and allow for 6am closing times for clubs with music and 3am for bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's an NTA thing, they want terminus to terminus 11:30 departures instead of holding in town. The 'marked in' fellas hate the fact :pac:
    Are marked in drivers not more likely to work early morning duties anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

My dad's been on the buses long enough to get marked in, but opted against it mainly because he didn't like the attitude they tended to have and becuase someone was still going to have to drive the bus anyway.

The issue with rosters in DB isn't whether or not someone is marked in. It's how the progress from early to late starts. My dad was working lates the start of this week, with a rest day yesterday. He's on first car today.

Your Dad,from that description is on a "mixed week" as in Late Monday, Relief Tuesday (Finish between c.2000 - 2230) REST Wednesday Early Thurs & Fri leading into his Long Weekend (Off Sat,Sun,Mon)

It may be that your Dad worked his Rest Day,but this is voluntary,subject to availability and minumum hours of rest between duties.

I'm as yet unfamiliar with any 100% acceptable shift pattern,including Monday to Friday 0900-1700,but the current spread of differing duties and the further development of night services is bringing significant change with it.

The relevance of "attitude" is beyond my ability to explain,as it has little to do with shift-patterns or even work itself,but lies fairly and squarely in the realm of individual personality.

I work on a daily basis alongside 40 year staff members who are the salt of-the-earth,and immediately next,interact with 4 month staff who are chock full of "attitude"......This situation,by the way,can be totally reversed the following day with two different individuals.

Work imitates Life itself,but front-line Public Transport work,brings with it an absolute requirement to be adaptive,resourceful and resilient...and then you get to the public ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Almost universally true,but stuff that "works out" rarely gets much more than a disinterested nod....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Almost universally true,but stuff that "works out" rarely gets much more than a disinterested nod....;)

5 workouts since last Monday, it's certainly working out :pac:

• Advertisement

When the 39a was announced as going 24 hours, it was mentioned the 39n would be going away with other routes covering it - well it was never officially stated in any service updates (most likely due to nitelink not running for the foreseeable future). Out of curiosity I was checking the nitelink map to see if they had removed it yet, and I saw that they silently mentioned on the nitelink map that the 70n has been altered slightly to cover areas previously served by the 39n.

Advertisement