Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 French Open

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rob2D wrote: »
    Y'know, there's a lot of people saying that 13 French Opens is a record that will never be beaten........

But honestly I think Rafa has a pretty good chance of doing it next year.

He shouldn’t have a great chance, but the opposition is just not up to it...

And of course, even at 35 or so he is still very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

walshb wrote: »
    He shouldn’t have a great chance, but the opposition is just not up to it...

That's the thing though. I don't think there can be any opposition for him. He has 100 matches won there over almost two decades. And how far back do you go to find someone to beat him? Guga? Borg?

At what point do we have to stand back and say well, maybe he just the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That's the thing though. I don't think there can be any opposition for him. He has 100 matches won there over almost two decades. And how far back do you go to find someone to beat him? Guga? Borg?

Maybe? I don't think there is any doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

There's no argument that he's by far the greatest clay court player of all time, no one disputes that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Girly Gal wrote: »
    There's no argument that he's by far the greatest clay court player of all time, no one disputes that

That's what I mean.

We just always have these people that spout off about how trash the younger guys are. That none of them are stepping up. It's like they expect some young buck, perfectly formed, to decend from the clouds on a ray of light with racquet in hand. Ready to brush the big 3 aside with ease. It's gas that these people think the greatest ever players should be beaten now becuase it's simply time for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That's what I mean.

We just always have these people that spout off about how trash the younger guys are. That none of them are stepping up. It's like they expect some young buck, perfectly formed, to decend from the clouds on a ray of light with racquet in hand. Ready to brush the big 3 aside with ease. It's gas that these people think the greatest ever players should be beaten now becuase it's simply time for it to happen.

No one is expecting that, but, the younger guys should be more competitive, also the big 3 are pushing on and are not as good now as say 5/6 years ago.They are still playing at a high level but, not quite as high as before, that's why people expect the younger guys to be more competitive especially at grand slam level. Most of the younger guys, (Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev)are in their mid twenties now so are in their prime and not youngsters anymore. Up until the big 3, it was rare for the world No 1 to be in their thirties, now the most dominant pair are in their mid thirties and arguably their closest rival is almost 40, regardless of the fact they are probably the 3 greatest players of all time, it's surprising that they are still as dominant as they are right now.

Advertisement