Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 French Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

walshb wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this final later!

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Interesting final today, both probably expected this to be the final and probably hoped the other wouldn't make it. I think both would prefer to meet anyone else in the final.
    It's probably Djokovic's best opportunity to beat a fully fit Nadal at RG. The conditions certainly take away a lot of Nadal's big advantage he normally has at RG, so, it's a more even match up than normal at RG. It's hard to go against Nadal at RG, but, with the conditions I'll give a hesitant vote to Djokovic, but, only just. So Rafa definitely win now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Looking at this objectively, I can't see Djokovic loosing. Although not playing great, he knows how to beat Nadal. He has the game plan in much the same way that Nadal had one for Federer for years. There are some lingering doubts about an injury to Djokovic, but as long as that doesn't flare up, I can't look past him.

Federer peaked in 2006, Nadal 2010 and Djokovic in 2011. All three are way past their best.

These sort of statements are pointless imo.

All three of these top players seek to adapt their game and improve in certain areas to try to win while they are playing.

They don't sit still and say to themselves "oh I wish I was i was like I was in 2XXX".

Federer completely remade his backhand and won back-to-back Australian opens and a Wimbledon with it after 5 years of not winning a slam.

Djokovic has improved his serve. He plays differently on clay than he used to. He had to come back out of a funk period of injury and some sort of mental issues and he did.

Nadal has sought to change his style to shorten points compared to his old style of play due to injuries and also changed his serve in the last couple of years to stay at the top.

These things make them the greats that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looking at this objectively, I can't see Djokovic loosing. Although not playing great, he knows how to beat Nadal. He has the game plan in much the same way that Nadal had one for Federer for years. There are some lingering doubts about an injury to Djokovic, but as long as that doesn't flare up, I can't look past him.

Objectively ?
    Nadal has lost 2 matches at Roland Garros in his entire career, he hasnt dropped a set all tournament and Djokovic isnt 100% fit.
    It all points to a Nadal win.

I will watch the first set and hopefully its not a bish bash slog .
    The last few matches between Nadal and Djokovic were hard watches.

• Advertisement

I don't know. Nadal still has had the better of him on Clay over the last few years on the head-to-head.

You can't underestimate the dogged fecker on clay.

It will be interesting to see how the start goes and how Djokovic seeks to play - will he continue with a proportionally high % of drop shots, will he try to take the ball early, will the heavier balls and colder air really take a lot of the impact off Nadal's spin.

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/atp-head-2-head/novak-djokovic-vs-rafael-nadal/D643/N409

Roof is apparently closed - that's an advantage for Djokovic.

Even a bit of a crowd is better than none for the tennis.

Presume that they will be up for Nadal at the start and whomever is behind in the match after a while.

Prefer if Nick Mullins stuck to the rugby.

Much prefer Jim Courier in the commentary box.

Those sort of statements are not pointless. It is commentary on tennis and the peak levels of the three best ever players. How you could think that is pointless is bewildering.

All three we be consistently beaten by their peak selves in 2006, 2010 and 2011.

The reason they have adapted so much is partly game theory and partly compensating for deteriorating skills, stamina and fitness.

In 2013 I correctly said on this forum that Federer could still win slams when he adapted to his new Racquet. I was widely ridiculed. I see the truth that others can't see, they are blinded by group think. For years Federer handicapped himself by playing with a 90si racquet which meant he struggled in base line rallies with Nadal and Djokovic. When he switched to the 97si racquet and he was once more capable of holding his own in base line rallies as he was no longer handicapping himself.

2006 Federer would wipe the floor with today's Federer, even if you handicap the 2006 Federer with his 90si racquet.

2010 Nadal would wipe the floor with today's Nadal, he was far too athletic and and precise for today's Nadal to deal with.

Likewise, 2011 Djokov8c would be too much for today's Djokovic. He was an absolute machine in 2011.

Banned after 3 posts - impressive stuff.

Game theory lol

so it took Fed 4 years to win a slam with his bigger racquet and you're a tennis insight master?

the bigger factor was his revamped backhand which he came back with after his 2016 injury - won a slam in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice start from Nadal

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 54,585 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is the roof covering g the court?

If so, why? This is the main court at RG, yes? Looks odd..

This is a discussion, don't be so sensitive that you have to resort to insults to people who disagree with you.

In 2015 his game was at a very high level. Good enough in most years to win a slam. Only Djokovic at hi very high 2015 level could stop him at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Federer's backhand in 2006 was just as good as 2017. Which is more impressive given it was a smaller Raquet.

grand we'll agree to disagree on that.

on the other side I find comparing the same player in different years pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice start from Nadal

Very nice start

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

not going as planned for Djokovic - he's a bit rattled and not serving well.

First set gone surely

Can he regroup and figure Nadal out?

Nadal came out of the blocks determined even by his standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,585 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nole bit unlucky to be two breaks down..

Great game this 4th game

Good hold by Rafa.

glasso wrote: »
    Even a bit of a crowd is better than none for the tennis.

Definitely.
    It makes a huge difference having a crowd.

Whats the capacity for today ,1k is it ?
    You'd think they would space the crowd out a bit better for social distancing , the courtside seats seem fairly full.

The roof is closed because of rain ,so it will have to stay closed.

Definitely.
    It makes a huge difference having a crowd.

Whats the capacity for today ,1k is it ?
    You'd think they would space the crowd out a bit better for social distancing , the courtside seats seem fairly full.

The roof is closed because of rain ,so it will have to stay closed.

normally supposed to be 1k - looks like a bit more than that today imo!

Don't think that Nadal can maintain this level for 3 sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Had no plans to watch this but suddenly I'm interested. Long may the Djokovic bagels continue :pac:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic could well come back and win this easily, but Nadal in 4 was my original prediction and I'll stick with that.

Djokovic has to win this set to have a hope.

One does simply not come back from 2 sets down against Nadal on clay in Paris.

Djokovic could well come back and win this easily

Nothing is easy against Nadal on clay

A bit off topic but Nadals shorts look a size too small for him.

Triple bagel watch off.

42% first serve percentage by Djokovic in the first set, that is appalling.

Huge just to win that game there

Getting anything from Nadal right now is mega tough

42% first serve percentage by Djokovic in the first set, that is appalling.

not that important really - nothing was going to stop Nadal winning that first set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

glasso wrote: »
    Djokovic has to win this set to have a hope.

One does simply not come back from 2 sets down against Nadal on clay in Paris.

Be very like Djokovic to hang on and win this set, but, you're right no coming back from 2 down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If he does lose it, would be very like Djokovic to throw the towel in. Not before a few dramatic outbursts to the skies and his coaching box though.

Advertisement