Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 French Open

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great stuff from Nadal so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Vamos Rafa!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

mzungu wrote: »
    Great stuff from Nadal so far.

A very high standard.

Interesting the analysis re his serve placement compared with the 2015 contest.

He's coped well with the Djokovic drop shot.

Too many unforced errors from Djokovic.

Wonderful point.

That's the end of that.

Djokovic making errors but Nadal quasi-unplayable - forcing a lot of errors and forcing the opponent to try to push the risk percentage on shots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great forehand from Nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Looks like it is going to be short match...

Was hoping for a more challenging game.

Happy for Rafa, though. He is solid, Novak very sloppy and ignorant at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That unforced errors stat is unreal

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That unforced errors stat is unreal

28 versus 3 says it all.

Djokovic needs to have a decent 3rd set, to put some respectability on the score board. Another pasting in the 3rd set could do long term damage to Novak when playing Rafa again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

glasso wrote: »
    That's the end of that.

Djokovic making errors but Nadal quasi-unplayable - forcing a lot of errors and forcing the opponent to try to push the risk percentage on shots.

Whats startling about it is that the conditions aren't in Nadals favour.
    Its on a slow cool court, indoors and with a heavier ball than normal.

In my opinion Djokovics tennis has become too negative in the last few years and he hasn't been aggressive enough.
    That won't do against Nadal in Paris.

Nadal past his best mi hole

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nadal past his best mi hole

Who said that ?

wonski wrote: »
    Looks like it is going to be short match...

Was hoping for a more challenging game.

Happy for Rafa, though. He is solid, Novak very sloppy and ignorant at times.

I would not count Djokovic out just yet. If Nadal lets up for even one service game in the third, he could find a way back in.

That said, Nadal is like a man possessed out there. He is hitting winners for fun.

Djokovic let Nadal off the hook with that final set point.

Not surprised with Rafa's warning.

Who said that ?

That banned / multiple rereg "Roland Garros" username poster was all over "past the best" statements today.

Read back a bit.

This has been so far one of Nadal's best-ever performances at Roland Garros.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That said, Nadal is like a man possessed out there. He is hitting winners for fun.

This.

It's unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I would not count Djokovic out just yet. If Nadal lets up for even one service game in the third, he could find a way back in.

Of course, but from what we can see so far if Rafa stays focused, he can end it quickly.

30-6 in unforced errors. Unbelievable.

Whats startling about it is that the conditions aren't in Nadals favour.
    Its on a slow cool court, indoors and with a heavier ball than normal.

In my opinion Djokovics tennis has become too negative in the last few years and he hasn't been aggressive enough.
    That won't do against Nadal in Paris.

As you outlined above everything really was set up as perfectly as could be for Djokovic at the beginning of the game, should never back against Rafa at RS

Federer peaked in 2006, Nadal 2010 and Djokovic in 2011. All three are way past their best.

• Advertisement

This version of Djokovic is severely diminished. His intensity and athleticism is well under par.

Djokovic has not lost a match this year so far

He has been disqualified once

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

It's been a long time since I've anticipated a sporting event so much and been so let down by it. I'm really surprised by the lack of fight in novak. No fight, no aggression, no frustration, no shouting. Just nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭josip

Djokovic has held his serve.
    It was rope a dope for the first 2 sets :)

Augme wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I've anticipated a sporting event so much and been so let down by it. I'm really surprised by the lack of fight in novak. No fight, no aggression, no frustration, no shouting. Just nothing.

Nadal has simply been too strong.

Nobody could live with him today in the first 2 sets, nobody.

Djokovic has not lost a match this year so far

He has been disqualified once

2020 has been truncated a lot, plus I think Tsitsipas was first top 10 player he played since AO
    He's still not out of this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Djokovic has a real chance to win here...if Nadal hits an umpire.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    2020 has been truncated a lot, plus I think Tsitsipas was first top 10 player he played since AO

winning 36 matches , 1 disqualification is still his record

1 loss coming up.

Yes because he's one of the best players in the world, if not the best. But he is still a shadow of his 2011 self. Perhaps covid finished him even further.

A point that you keep repeating ad nauseam.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Wow just turning this on, looks like Nadal hasn't forgotten the Aussie open final from 2019, wants to return the favour

• Advertisement

Djokovic has actually hit more winners in the match than Nadal

Nadal made very few errors and forced a lot.

Advertisement