Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is not a journalist. He's a presenter. There is a difference...
    Would you mind expanding on that...? With distinctions as to the roles

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

mgn wrote: »
    That superstar of breakfast tv Mark Cagney filling in for Ivan.The man is useless when everything is not rehearsed or interviewing someone from Fair City.

You've very clearly got something against Mark. Like him or not it is not correct to call him 'useless'. I caught the repeat this morning and was pleasantly surprised to hear him. He has a very good clear voice and has his topic researched. Yes he has opinions but I like that in a presenter, whether I agree or not. I think he's quite suited to NT. Perhaps you're listening to the wrong station for your personal taste? I have zero time for over energised super positive younger presenters. So I don't listen to them. Plenty of room for all tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Alicano wrote: »
    You've very clearly got something against Mark. Like him or not it is not correct to call him 'useless'. I caught the repeat this morning and was pleasantly surprised to hear him. He has a very good clear voice and has his topic researched. Yes he has opinions but I like that in a presenter, whether I agree or not. I think he's quite suited to NT. Perhaps you're listening to the wrong station for your personal taste? I have zero time for over energised super positive younger presenters. So I don't listen to them. Plenty of room for all tastes.

Do you know him personally with your glowing reference for him. And for the record i prefer the older presenters myself, the likes of Pat Kenny and Ivan Yates. The same Cagney had not much to say when his work colleagues got the boot from TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

mgn wrote: »
      Do you know him personally with your glowing reference for him. And for the record i prefer the older presenters myself, the likes of Pat Kenny and Ivan Yates. The same Cagney had not much to say when his work colleagues got the boot from TV3.

Glowing reference? You do like to exaggerate don't you? No. I don't know him personally or anyone on radio personally. Apart from community radio. I do like Pat and Ivan. Two strong presenters. Although it took Ivan a few months to find his feet going solo. I don't get the TV3 reference or what it has to do Mark's ability to fill in on Newstalk. Which is what I'm talking about.

1. Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I thought I stumbled into someone else's room with the New look here!!

Well I was never a fan of Mark
      Cagney, I thought he was a bit smarmy. Having said that,if Ivan ever fecks off (hopefully not) then I could possibly listen to him. It's not exactly a glowing reference, but the previous stand ins are worse and I tend to drift away from them when they are on.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I was listening in the car so only half-listening, admittedly. He seemed perfectly fine, very competent actually. I enjoyed it.

I can't think of any criticism at all (disagreed with his opinions, but that's hardly relevant).

What aspect of his broadcast are you taking issue with?

Cagney comes from the Dave Fanning school of interviewing. Basically he gives his long winded opinion and asks the "interviewee" if they agree. He'd interview himself for 3 hours every day if he could.

They also need to have a word with Ivan. I feel sorry for the woman who does the travel segment (which is interesting). It's clear he has absolutely no interest in it and cuts across her, rushes her constantly. She's not alone, he does it with most guests but it's probably worst with her.

4. Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cagney is the blandest radio presenter I've ever heard.
      Might be the low monotone voice,but totally uninteresting.

5. Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

kneemos wrote: »
      I'm really enjoying his stint. As I said above, I disagree with a lot of his views, but I like the fact that he's respectful whilst managing to be very forthright (completely disagree that he's bland. He's the kind of man who calls a spade a little fùcking shovel, and that's probably one of the best traits in a journalist -- Well, in anyone actually. No bullshït.

But different strokes, of course.

6. Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

kneemos wrote: »

I thought he was really good.

7. Registered Users Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is Newstalk coming through distorted on Sky Q for anyone else? Voices are slowed down like something from a David Lynch film for me...

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I'm really enjoying his stint. As I said above, I disagree with a lot of his views, but I like the fact that he's respectful whilst managing to be very forthright (completely disagree that he's bland. He's the kind of man who calls a spade a little fùcking shovel, and that's probably one of the best traits in a journalist -- Well, in anyone actually. No bullshït.

But different strokes, of course.

Wouldn't be his greatest fan and would hope that when Ivan does eventually leave, Joe Molloy be given a stint. Off all the recent stand-ins Joe came across the best, although i think it was for only one or two evenings that he filled in for, so small sample size and all.

10. Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Akabusi wrote: »
      Wouldn't be his greatest fan and would hope that when Ivan does eventually leave, Joe Molloy be given a stint. Off all the recent stand-ins Joe came across the best, although i think it was for only one or two evenings that he filled in for, so small sample size and all.

Wait, Joe Molloy from OTB filled in for Ivan? When was this?

11. Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

A couple of weeks ago or was it during the summer, anyhow I thought he did very well discussing current affairs.

12. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

There was a shameful outbreak of woke identity politics on Futureproof today.

Discussing the awarding of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry this week, Jonathan McCrea and his two guests sneered at the fact that the recipients were 'old white men'. The race, age, and sex of the three scientists - John Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham, and Akira Yoshino - were deemed more important than their actual achievement - the development of lithium-ion batteries. It was shocking to hear. Apparently, McCrea and Co. believe that the only people who should win Nobel Prizes are oppressed minorities, e.g. disabled black lesbians perhaps.

Futureproof should just stick to the science.

13. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

There was a ridiculous outbreak of 'woke' politics in the newspaper review slot of "On the Record" yesterday morning. In an interview with journalists, Leo Varadker said that he had encountered racism in Ireland. As the Sunday Independent reported it:
      The Taoiseach said he was surprised by the amount of people who asked him if he was “going back to India” after it emerged his family would spend some time in his father Ashok Varadkar’s native country during the Christmas recess. “They don't mean it that way but it is a way of thinking,” he said. “I was born in the Rotunda. I'm not from India. People don't hear what they're saying sometimes but I've also never been somebody who goes on about it,” he added.

The guests reviewing the newspapers were Gráinne Ní Aodha, a reporter with thejournal.ie, Fergus Finlay, former CEO of Bernardos, and Síona Cahill, who describes herself on Twitter as an "Activist, feminist, rabble-rouser, [and] gas ticket".

Cahill didn't like Varadker's comment that he has "never been somebody who goes on about" the racism he experiences. While she agreed with Gavin Reilly, the host, that this comment could be construed as Varadker "checking his privilege", i.e. modestly realising that the racism he had experienced is probably a lot less than that experienced by other people, she accused him of having an ulterior motive, of downplaying racism in Ireland because the racists "are his voters". "People who are casually racist are voting Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil," she declared.

Think about that. She accused the Taoiseach of playing down racism in Ireland because he didn't want to alienate racist Fine Gael voters. She cited no evidence to back up this claim that casual racists vote Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil. Given the massive change in demographics Ireland has experienced in a relatively short period of time, say thirty years, the amazing thing is that there is so little racism here, something we can be proud of. Thankfully, Fergus Finlay challenged Cahill's conspiracy-mongering, arguing that racists were not Fine Gael voters.

You can't win with hyper woke people like Cahill. If Varadker had played up the abuse he had experienced, she would probably accuse him of failing to "check his privilege". When he plays it down or tries to put it in context, she accuses him of making excuses for racists and failing to support victims of racism. The mind boggles at the way the wokerati twist and turn facts to suit their agenda.

14. Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The mind boggles at the way the wokerati twist and turn facts to suit their agenda.

Seems like you've twisted and turned a panel discussion to suit your agenda of just complaining about an imaginary subset of society.

It's the season of goodwill, let's give the faux outrage a break for a week or so.

15. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Seems like you've twisted and turned a panel discussion to suit your agenda of just complaining about an imaginary subset of society.

It's the season of goodwill, let's give the faux outrage a break for a week or so.

I haven't twisted or turned anything. I listened carefully to the show again on podcast tonight before I wrote my post so I could quote exactly what was said. You should dispense with the patronising advice-giving and use the season of goodwill to listen to the show and point out any misrepresentation I made.

16. Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

With all the “listen back” functions and podcasts it truly is a golden age for the crank.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

17. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

With all the “listen back” functions and podcasts it truly is a golden age for the crank.

More argumentum ad hominem. Listen back functions and podcasts are useful for critiquing silly thing heard on the radio. Can you not engage with the substance of my post?

18. Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Can you not engage with the substance of my post?

Maybe your post just isn't that engaging. I gave up reading after 'woke'.

19. Advertisement
    20. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Ahwell wrote: »
      Maybe your post just isn't that engaging. I gave up reading after 'woke'.

If the little of my post you read didn't engage you, why did you respond to it? Why are you trolling?

21. Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

If the little of my post you read didn't engage you, why did you respond to it?

My point being, in my experience posts where posters try to shoehorn American political terms, like woke, into an Irish context are invariably not worth reading. Having now read your whole post, I think my first instinct was the correct one - but I'm sure you would disagree.

22. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

My point being, in my experience posts where posters try to shoehorn American political terms, like woke, into an Irish context are invariably not worth reading. Having now read your whole post, I think my first instinct was the correct one - but I'm sure you would disagree.

Didn’t realise vocabulary Nazis were a thing now....

23. Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

More argumentum ad hominem. Listen back functions and podcasts are useful for critiquing silly thing heard on the radio. Can you not engage with the substance of my post?

They’re useful for listening back to something “interesting” or something you may have missed.

I don’t, for a second, believe they were created for malcontents to go over with a fine tooth comb, note pad in hand, scribbling away frantically at all the things they find “disagreeable”. Like Grandpa Simpson writing to the television executives of words he no longer wants to hear.

You must be greatly “put out” over the last couple of days when the content is all pre-recorded, drama or documentary.

I do hope you don’t ever listen to Dr. Ciara Kelly’s show in the afternoon. I really don’t think that would be good for your “health” or you might simply burst a bollock from all the excitement of not knowing where to start with ejaculating all your rage and disgust.

As for engaging with the “substance” of your post, that’s a hard pass from me. Mainly because the substance is overly sensitive, snowflake, nonsense. Go back to yelling at clouds, old man.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

24. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Yes, I do disagree. 'Woke' is indeed an American term, but the concept has crossed the Atlantic and has become quite prevalent here in Ireland. Therefore, I haven't shoehorned it into an Irish context. The substance of my post stands.

25. Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yes, I do disagree. 'Woke' is indeed an American term, but the concept has crossed the Atlantic and has become quite prevalent here in Ireland. Therefore, I haven't shoehorned it into an Irish context. The substance of my post stands.

It is only really used here in a derogatory way by people of certain mindset?

As for the substance of your post, what substance? You made a claim, "the amazing thing is that there is so little racism here" and cited no evidence to back it up. The exact same thing you are slating Cahill for doing. Plus, you displayed a level of your own extreme hypersensitivity in that rant, while calling other people out for being hyper woke.

26. Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

WARNING:

Jonathan Healy is in for Pat Kenny.

As if early January back to work wasn't depressing enough.

27. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

It is only really used here in a derogatory way by people of certain mindset?

It largely deserves the derogatory treatment it gets as the people who advocate it often say silly things.
      As for the substance of your post, what substance? You made a claim, "the amazing thing is that there is so little racism here" and cited no evidence to back it up. The exact same thing you are slating Cahill for doing.

Okay, that's a fair criticism. Reliable statistics on racism in Ireland are difficult to find. The latest research on it was carried out last year by the EU Fundamental Rights Agency as part of an EU-wide survey. 425 sub-Saharan Africans in Ireland were interviewed as to their experiences of racism. Media coverage of the report's highlights stated that: 32% claimed they suffered discrimination as a result of their skin colour; 38% said they had experienced harassment; and 8% said they experienced violence. I could find no indication as to whether the victims had suffered one-off incidents of abuse or if it was reoccurring. (I haven't read the actual report but I will.) On the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk, Professor Michael O'Flaherty, the author of the report, agreed with Kenny that the speed with which Irish society had become multicultural probably played a role in the incidence of racism as people felt threatened by change. So there is racism in Ireland, but Cahill's argument that Varadker downplayed the racism he and others had experienced because the racists are Fine Gael voters is bonkers.
      Plus, you displayed a level of your own extreme hypersensitivity in that rant, while calling other people out for being hyper woke.

1. My post was not a rant.
      2. I didn't display 'extreme hypersensitivity' (gilding the lily, I think). A person on a national radio programme said something quite silly and I critiqued it.

28. Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

They’re useful for listening back to something “interesting” or something you may have missed.

I don’t, for a second, believe they were created for malcontents to go over with a fine tooth comb, note pad in hand, scribbling away frantically at all the things they find “disagreeable”.

Someone on a national radio programme said something quite stupid about racism in Ireland. I listened back to the show on podcast to make sure I had heard her correctly. Rather than showing me to be a "malcontent", it shows I am quite a fair person. It was quite a reasonable use of a podcast.
      You must be greatly “put out” over the last couple of days when the content is all pre-recorded, drama or documentary.

I do hope you don’t ever listen to Dr. Ciara Kelly’s show in the afternoon. I really don’t think that would be good for your “health” or you might simply burst a bollock from all the excitement of not knowing where to start with ejaculating all your rage and disgust.

I don't listen to Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly. But if I was listening and heard a guest saying something as stupid as Cahill did on On the Record, I might re-listen to the show via the podcast, think about it and decide whether to write a post about it here.
      As for engaging with the “substance” of your post, that’s a hard pass from me. Mainly because the substance is overly sensitive, snowflake, nonsense. Go back to yelling at clouds, old man.

While you're taking your "hard pass" from engaging with the substance of my post, you should learn some manners and avoid resorting to name-calling, tiresome sarcasm, and personal abuse; they're childish tactics.

29. Advertisement
    30. Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Newstalk have a new news anchor, Tabitha Monaghan.

I honestly thought she called herself Top O the Mornin earlier today.
      She probably gets that a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement