Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Channel 4 seems to do regional accents too when they're talking about the next show coming up etc.
    Anyway I don't want to hear strong Dublin accents or any strong accents reading the news etc, most are painful to listen to.

The awwcent thot ORTEEE prasantors use when delivaring the Neyws is strong and the pronuncation is absolutely non standard English, I dont give a damn about accents but pronunciation should be correct for news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

dvcireland wrote: »
    "..he's after gettin' a right bang in the mush there..."

That's the thing though. The interesting things about regional speech isn't just the sound of the accent, it's also the regional phrases. So if Brian kerr read the news he would have to use the same words as Dobbo even of he said it in his Dublin accent. So he wouldn't say "he's after gettin' a right bang in the mush there". He's say "the man has been struck in the face".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

RTE news reporter, John Kilraine, has a relatively strong Dublin accent.

I have noticed some developing speech habits entering the media recently ...
    Pronouncing 'ing' as 'een' Eg 'beginning' pronounced as 'begineen'.

And then there is 'News' being pronounced as 'Nooze'.

Then there is the old chestnut of R T E being pronounced as ARR Tee Eee :) That one has been around since the formation of the service and must be promoted during employment induction.

Bambi wrote: »
    The awwcent thot ORTEEE prasantors use when delivaring the Neyws is strong and the pronuncation is absolutely non standard English, I dont give a damn about accents but pronunciation should be correct for news.

What you've written there isn't how they speak though. They don't say ORTEE. They say AR-TEE-EE, which is correct. They would never say awwcent. I think you're mistaking RTE accent for Dort accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

why aren't there more working class dublin accents in politics?

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2020/0124/1110569-mind-your-language/

This is an interesting piece from the AR-TEE-EE archives. Late late show in 1985. Yer man with the answers isn't a bit endearing but it illustrates the point about where th e RTE accent comes from.

I'd say that is partially to do with how strong accents are portrayed in media. If you have a TV show and you have a very small part for a character who has to quickly establish themselves as stupid and uneducated, then they tend to give them strong accent along with other clear cues like being overweight, dowdy dress and poorly groomed.

So when you hear a working class accent you're predisposed to assume the person is less educated than the well spoken person and that affects how you view he information thst person is telling you and thst affects how people vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are loads of them, that is a very lazy assumption.

It a bit like the posers who post with an iron-clad belife that the wealthy coastal areas of Dublin do not have social housing.

mariaalice wrote: »
    There are loads of them, that is a very lazy assumption.

It a bit like the posers who post with an iron-clad belife that the wealthy coastal areas of Dublin do not have social housing.
    Name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I think the UK has regional accents on TV but, as you said, not very strong regional accents. But to be fair, you need to be well spoken to be on TV so even a regional accent sounds milder when well spoken. A well spoken Midlands accent will still sound like a Midlands accent but it is a lot milder than the accent of someone from a rough estate in the same town.

BBC has regional accents. They have laura kuenssberg as a main Westminster correspondent and the main nighttime news reader, Hue Edwards, has a Welsh accent.

When the BBC want to appeal to younger audiences they use regional accents too. Stacey dooley has an Essex accent and yer man Ben Zand has a pretty real Liverpool accent. Though they have to modify their accents to make sure they're understood easily.
    She's actually from Luton in Bedfordshire.

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2020/0124/1110569-mind-your-language/

This is an interesting piece from the AR-TEE-EE archives. Late late show in 1985. Yer man with the answers isn't a bit endearing but it illustrates the point about where th e RTE accent comes from.
    WOW!

Name them.

Are councilors politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Loads of Dublin accents in RTE...sure, Brid Smith, Aengus O'Snodaigh and their acolytes never seem to be out of the studios there

Are councilors politicians
    Well yes.

But i mean if you cant find tds it sort of proves my point.

But go ahead ..how many councilors ..for a city of over million have a working class dublin accent.

I mean a real accent not a faux one.

She's actually from Luton in Bedfordshire.

I'll take your word for it. It's certainly not the typical BBC accent.

jay0109 wrote: »
    Loads of Dublin accents in RTE...sure, Brid Smith, Aengus O'Snodaigh and their acolytes never seem to be out of the studios there
    They don't have strong dublin accents.

Well yes.

But i mean if you cant find tds it sort of proves my point.

But go ahead ..how many councilors ..for a city of over million have a working class dublin accent.

I mean a real accent not a faux one.

They are there, don't look for prdjudist where non exists becaue there is enough of it in real life with out inventing more.

Bríd Smith TD would have a very Dublin accent that is one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

They bleedin do, yerknowworoimeean

What sort of accents do they have? there are several dublin accents.

What about this this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrXLyAS7VN4

They are there, don't look for prdjudist where non exists becaue there is enough of it in real life with out inventing more.

Bríd Smith TD would have a very Dublin accent that is one example.
    She has NOT! Would you go away!

that is barely a dublin accent! IN NO WAY A WORKING CLASS ACCENT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sky King wrote: »
    The gore thee.

Actually... There was a fellah presentin prime time there last week or the week before that sounded like a proper taxi droiver pal, yeah?

I know him. Sound guy. Not your typical rte employee either. Worked as a reporter / researcher for AlJazerra news for a few years rather than relying on a relative to get him in the door

What sort of accents do they have? there are several dublin accents.

What about this this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrXLyAS7VN4
    I mean a working class dublin accent. A northside accent.

This is a middle class southside accent.

Don't tell me you hear working class accents in dublin so little you don't even know them.

The reason its refered to as a strong dublin accent is the southside accent is influenced a lot by rural accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone who thinks Caitríona Perry has a "neutral" accent needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Imagine this lad reading the news...

https://youtu.be/txjZxlxSt1Q

"An neow, over ta anto for de fookin weddor"

Anto:"ihs shih"

I mean a working class dublin accent. A northside accent.

This is a middle class southside accent.

You here Gino Kenny as having a middle-class southside accent?

This is a beautiful perfect precious strong Dublin accent. :)

God bless it and preserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I wouldn't be using Joe Duffy as an example of anything I was trying to promote

Don't tell me you hear working class accents in dublin so little you don't even know them.

The reason its refered to as a strong dublin accent is the southside accent is influenced a lot by rural accents.

I work in what is considered a very working-class part of north side Dublin and the accents are varied among the locals.

What you seem to mean is why we don't hear a nasily (often associated with jukies ) Dublin accent but the thing is, it is not the majority accent in Dublin and is of recent origent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

A lot of RTE Dubliners exaggerating the posh accent seem to come from the Northside. It is as if they have an inferiority complex and are so desperate to elevate themselves from the Northside stereotype (Caitriona Perry, Dermot Bannon, Aengus Mac Grianna etc).

Advertisement