Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walrus Sign-UPs

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Necro registering interest, although won't be for a few weeks yet so if someone has an urge feel free to jump ahead of me in the queue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I already have something in mind. Was thinking about putting something up and then running the reveal after the next WW game ends. I'm modding that so will have time to listen while it's on.

If anyone is super keen to run one before that I can wait though.

Ectoplasm wrote:
    I already have something in mind. Was thinking about putting something up and then running the reveal after the next WW game ends. I'm modding that so will have time to listen while it's on.

Go ahead Ecto, like I said it'll be at least two weeks before I get a chance to do so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ok, so. I'll post a sign up thread shortly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Current order :

1. Rikand - reveal thread : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057993901/1
    2. Ectoplasm - entry thread : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057994092
    3. Necro - provisionally few weeks from now

• Advertisement

I really like the idea of this one. I'll do one over the next month or so

I really like the idea of this one. I'll do one over the next month or so

You can jump ahead of me PJ and I'll do mine in August at some point if that suits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Just to say, I’m not sure if I could ever start one, or even fully contribute, but OMG I love these!!!!!

Necro wrote: »
    You can jump ahead of me PJ and I'll do mine in August at some point if that suits?

Yeah cool. I'm a tad busy at the moment so won't be next week till I get a thread going.

Actually I'll wait until Riaknd has finished his so there is only two running concurrently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Lash me down for number 7 for the craic!

Updated Current order so :

1. Rikand - reveal thread : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057993901/1
    2. Ectoplasm - entry thread : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057994092
    3. partyjungle - on conclusion of Rikand's game
    4. Necro - sometime in August
    7. tusk

Edit: Whoops, forgot PJ's posts there lol

Rikand, rather than me reinventing the wheel, what's your method for running one of these?

Rikand, rather than me reinventing the wheel, what's your method for running one of these?

I'm not quite sure what you mean lol

I think of categories of songs that I would like to hear from people.
    I let people submit those songs to me
    After the closing date has arrived, I then start listening to those songs and then I start doing the category reveals at times that are convenient
    I then reveal

Theres lots of ways you can score (entirely up to you how you score [ cat fit, what you like, is it something new, does it have a great video, i dunno] whatever fits the score for you)

Theres lots of ways you can reveal - in thread, by audio, by video, by live feed and all of the last 3 with people commenting on thread at the same time.

Have I covered the bases ? Apart from that, just check the sign up threads that myself and Ecto have created :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ok guys after a whiskey or 2 in the pub last night I explained the game to Mr Molly who is SO up for running one of these with me. He loves finding new music so can we have the slot after Necro please? So it'll be me and AnLachaCorca running it. Interested to see how Necro's co-captaining works out.

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Ok guys after a whiskey or 2 in the pub last night I explained the game to Mr Molly who is SO up for running one of these with me. He loves finding new music so can we have the slot after Necro please? So it'll be me and AnLachaCorca running it. Interested to see how Necro's co-captaining works out.

I'm trying to figure it out myself :pac:

I'll throw up my sign up list after Ectos reveal is finished anyways in keeping with Rikands advice:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Given the lead time in listening to all submissions, i dont see why we cant have multiple games running alongside one another, Molly. If you want to fire ahead, do so. You can then stagger the reveal so it doesnt conflict with anyone elses.

I agree with Baggly - we can run this any way that we want. It's just what worked best on my original forum as peoples category fitting supply dwindled, they needed new music to replenish. But in the early days of Walrus here, I dont see any problem with multiple signups running.

Can even have multiple reveals running if they dont clash on reveal days :)

Oh alright then I'll have my own thread up this eve or tomorrow lol.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to figure it out myself :pac:

I'll throw up my sign up list after Ectos reveal is finished anyways in keeping with Rikands advice:D

Well we're just thinking of both giving each song a score out of X (x being the number of entries in the game) and then adding the scores together to get an overall placing for each entry. We already have a few categories we'd like to include.

I think if we get a new sign up thread started as soon as the sign ups for the previous one close? It keeps the momentum.

Mollyb60 wrote:
    I think if we get a new sign up thread started as soon as the sign ups for the previous one close? It keeps the momentum.

Yeah good call. I'll jump on then when PJ closes his and you can follow suit?

Yeah, that's the way molly

With duos revealing. Both people listen to the song. Each gives it a mark out of 10 or something and then add the two scores together or average or whatever to decide your placings. Even more fun if each person writes their own review of the song

Molly :: I loved it, 10/10
    Mrmolly :: I hated it. 1/10

Rikand wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the way molly

With duos revealing. Both people listen to the song. Each gives it a mark out of 10 or something and then add the two scores together or average or whatever to decide your placings. Even more fun if each person writes their own review of the song

Molly :: I loved it, 10/10
    Mrmolly :: I hated it. 1/10

Yeah that's exactly what we were thinking. 2 smallish reviews with both scores (so people can see if I liked it more than him or vice versa) and a combined total to come to the final placing.

Walrus Sign-up Table

Name|Signup Thread|Reveal Thread
    Rikand|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057989193|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057993901
    Ecto|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057994092|
    Partyjungle|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057999954|
    Necro and Friend||
    Mollyb and AnLachaCorchra||
    Someone||
    Tusk||

Links struck through when they are closed/finished :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'll take No. 6

Green&Red wrote: »
    I'll take No. 6

Someone already booked it...

I'll show myself out

Necro and Friend are currently deep in planning mode for our Walrus categories.

Should (hopefully) be ready to post sign ups at the next available opportunity (basically, when PJ closes his sign ups or Ecto's reveal finishes, whichever comes first) :D

All this effort with fancy categories. Mine will be very off the top of my head :pac:

• Advertisement

Necro (And Friend's) sign-up thread will be up between now and Monday.

Get ready folks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Necro (And Friend's) sign-up thread will be up between now and Monday.

Get ready folks ;)

Necro - we spoke about this:

14078338158_0d25b5af95_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Myself and Barney92 would like to run one of these in a joint venture if that’s ok with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Myself and Barney92 would like to run one of these in a joint venture if that’s ok with people?
    giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Walrus Sign-up Table

Rikand|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057989193|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057993901
    Ecto|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057994092|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058001327
    Partyjungle|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057999954| https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058004539
    Necro and Friend||
    Mollyb and AnLachaCorchra||
    green&red||
    Tusk||
    MrKingsley & Barney92||

Links struck through when they are closed/finished :)

Updated, Think thats right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I thought he closed them, given he's done one category already?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I think that was to the mods, not to you, Necro.

I'd like to tack my name onto the end of this list, if that's ok? Hopefully.people are still playing by the time my turn to host comes around! :D

Assuming a rate of one Walrus a month, I may be on course to bring you the first Walrus of 2020!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'd like to tack my name onto the end of this list, if that's ok? Hopefully.people are still playing by the time my turn to host comes around! :D

Assuming a rate of one Walrus a month, I may be on course to bring you the first Walrus of 2020!

Go for it! Copy the table above and add your name to the last column.

• Advertisement

I promised I would tell this story and 2 in the morning on a thursday night / friday morning seems like the ideal time to do it :D

Vasily "Walrus" Jones - The Creator of Walrus

Vasily was born in New York in 1789, the son of a Welsh father and a Russian mother, whom had emigrated to the United States a short time before Vasily was born. He enjoyed a relatively uneventful childhood, growing up in the Bronx area of New York until such time as he joined the navy at the age of 18 and embarked upon a life of the sea. An unfortunate leg injury befell him when he was just 20 years of age, which made it rather difficult for him to get around the ship and forced him into early retirement from the navy. As a result, he was left with little means of income and had to resort to desperate measures to secure a future for himself. He joined up with the crew of a scoundrel named Peter Scally and boarded Peter's self titled ship, "The Scallywag" to engage in acts of plunder and piracy along the American main. His inability to maneuver himself around the ship was less of a problem with the pirates and just having someone who knew how to sail was more value than could have been imagined. The usual crew of brigands aboard pirate ships then just knew how to kill and steal. Peter Scally was into everything and took the ship north along the Canadian Seaboard to partake in a bit of whale hunting. It was in the month of October in 1810 that an incident came upon the ship and while trying to bring in a whale, the whale brought them too close to some pack ice that had started to form rather unseasonably early. The crew made landfall and setup camp while they tried to repair their ship. The cold arctic climate was proving too much for Vasily's legs and in the dead of night as he slept, the rest of the crew abandoned him, deeming him no longer of worth and boarded the ship and sailed away.

When he woke the next morning and found himself alone in a vast wilderness, he became very afraid. No food, little shelter and no idea of where he was, he could only think of how he was going to survive. For the first couple of days he fished by crawling to the edge of the ice and using a makeshift rod, caught just enough to keep himself alive. But he knew with winter fast approaching, he must abandon his camp and attempt to make his way south in the hope of finding civilization. He walked at a snails pace for 3 days and 2 nights until by chance he came upon an old ramshackle hunters cabin and collapsed with tiredness inside. When he woke the next morning he discovered he had been completely snowed in. Given his injury he knew he could not attempt to travel any further in the snow so decided to stay where he was and hope for an unlikely thaw.

He continued to eat through what was left of his fish supply when he heard a strange sound. A Huddle of Walruses had settled on a nearby rocky outcrop not more than 100 metres from the cabin. He decided that there was nothing else for it. He was going to have to try and trap one of the walrus and hope that he could get some more food from it. He crept towards the outcrop and set a trap with what was left of his fish hoping to ensnare a walrus. He hid behind a tree and waited. To his delight, a walrus made its way towards the trap and he saw his moment arrive. Sadly, Vasily wasnt much good at trapping and the walrus simply ate all the fish and made a laughing sound in Vasily's direction and waved at him. Dejected, Vasily returned to his cabin without the slightest clue what he was going to do now.

A short time later, he heard some rummaging outside his cabin door, he peered out one of the windows and saw the same walrus slowly making its way away from the cabin until it stopped no more than 50 metres away. Vasily cautiously opened the door and could not believe his eyes at what he saw. 5 fresh fish placed upon his doorstep. Vasily didnt understand it, but it seemed as though the Walrus had thanked him for his earlier meal and then went and fished for some replacements for him. Vasily waved at the Walrus in thanks and the Walrus made a noise and waved back before going on its way. Vasily enjoyed his fish suppers for the next 2 days but realised he was soon going to be out of luck once again. Crazy with the cold he decided he was going to have to try something. It would either work out well or he would die but it was only early November by his reckoning and if he was going to live through this winter, he was going to need a lot more food and a lot more warmth.

He took his fishing rod and ventured towards the shoreline. He could see the Walrus had moved slightly further down the coast and were lolling about on the rocks a couple of hundred metres away. He cut a hole in the ice and dropped his fishing line in, hoping to catch more fish. He actually started to do quite well for himself and in less than an hour, had caught more than 20 fish. Just when he thought his luck was about to change, he heard a noise behind him. A bull had moved onto the ice, trapping Vasily away from the shore. The walruses had all returned to their rocky outcrop and there was little room to make his escape. The bull advanced towards him and seeing no other way out of his predicament, he knelt down beside his catch and spilled them all along the ice towards the bull. The bull stopped, startled, sniffed one of the fish and ate it. He then called some of the other walrus over and each of them ate what remained of the fish. Vasily thought he recognised the walrus whom he had met the other day and sure enough, it made the same call at him and waved. The Bull returned to the outcrop with the cows and Vasily returned to his fishing hole and caught a few more fish to keep him going.

The next morning he decided he was going to return to the fishing hole but the Walrus were already using it. They had made it wider and were each jumping in and out of it, returning with more and more fish. They had made an excellent haul for themselves, all from Vasily's hole. When they saw Vasily, the group stopped what they were doing and started singing to him. Vasily was in awe at the sounds they were making and stood there open mouthed at the communication he was receiving from the Walruses. When the Walrus were finished, they all clapped. Vasily clapped too. Suddenly, he noticed that all the Walrus were staring at him. Without realising it, he began to sing. Some class of a sea shanty, but something he had learned from his days in the navy. When he was finished, the walrus burst into a rapturous chorus. The same walrus from the first day gathered up some fish in its mouth and made its way towards Vasily. Vasily backed up a little, still nervous but the walrus laid the fish down and returned to its group. Vasily waved at the Walrus and returned to his cabin with the fish.

The next morning, the same thing happened again. The Walrus began to sing and Vasily sang a different song to them. It became a ritual. The walrus had thanked him for making the hole in the ice that they could fish out of and showed their appreciation by singing and offering him more fish. It was now mid-December and well and truly in the depths of winter. Being so close to the seafront kept away the worst of the snow but it was bitterly cold. Vasily did not have much to keep him warm and had fashioned a coat from some of the branches of the evergreen trees that were near the cabin. Sometime during the winter, one of the females had passed away and the bull brought the carcass to the cabin. Vasily now had some walrus skin that he could make clothes with and something other than fish that he could eat for a time. Things were going pretty good for him all things considered.

The winter was almost over and spring was soon arriving. One morning he went out to meet the group of walrus that he had become so friendly with, but this time they werent fishing. They gathered by the outcrop, sang once for Vasily, waved and started to make their way north. Spring was arriving, there was a warmth in the air and the Walrus needed to migrate north to avoid being an easy target for hunters. Vasily waved after them, but from that day forth, he never saw the Walrus again. He had enough stock of fish to last him many months at this point and hunkered down in his cabin until around mid march and the snows had completely receded. He gathered up as much nourishment as he could and decided that he was going to start walking south and hope to find some civilisation. As luck would have it, he chanced upon a ship which was sailing by, waved them down and hitched a ride back to America.

He explained his story to the crew which they could scarcely believe and asked them if they would like to play the singing game with him too. The journey home was filled with song. The US Navy adapted the game as their own and on long voyages would sing songs to each other and play music and would vote on which song they enjoyed the most. When they returned to New York, they would always make sure to meet Vasily and decided to nickname him Vasily "Walrus" Jones. Vasily was so proud to have such an honour bestowed upon him and always recalled it that the reason he got the nickname was because of his adventures with the group of walrus. However, that's not the reason that the US navy gave him the nickname. The nickname was given to him owing to his heritage. Father from Wales, Mother from Russia, in the 1800's ? Have you ever heard something so incredible they thought!

His father did well for himself and hence where Vasily earned his nickname. With that the game of Walrus was invented!

Just edited in the links to the existing and gone by games :)

Actually, might be a good idea if a mod were able to edit a copy of the table into the original post and then just periodically update it by copying whatever the most recent table is from the thread, into the original post

Walrus Sign-up Table

Ecto|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057994092|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058001327
    Partyjungle|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057999954| https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058004539
    Necro and Friend|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058005307|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058009356&page=24
    Mollyb and AnLachaCorchra|[url=]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058008662[/url]|
    green&red|https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058014471|
    Tusk||
    MrKingsley & Barney92||
    Homer J. Fong ||
    Sullivlo ||

Oh sh1t'. Just realized I'm next. This should be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Get working on ur signup thread buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92