Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partyjungle's Walrus

Options
  • 25-07-2019 12:26pm

Please use this google form to enter: https://forms.gle/RJrf6ik4jVvAugPR6

What is Walrus ?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs & the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why am I doing this ?

I want to hear more music. I love music and I love discovering other people's music. I've always been one of those people where music was part of their personality. I've threatened to take plenty of instruments over the years but could never fully dedicate myself to them. My dad gave up smoking at the age of 40 so used to buy himself a bunch of CD's every month with the money he would have spent on smoking. This quickly became my favourite day of the month. I'm heavily influenced by my family's taste. Being the youngest, I had to listen to whatever everyone else was listening to.

What kind of music am I into ?

Bit of everything. When I was younger, I was the ultimate music hipster (I hated the majority of pop music) but these days I've no problem admitting if something is good regardless of its origins. However my stand out genres would be rock, indie, minimal techno, electronic... that kind of stuff but a bit of everything at the same time. Generally speaking, I prefer my dance songs without lyrics. I can't stand those kind of dance songs with some woman screaming over it. I've got a soft spot for dance songs with soft piano in them. I love any kind of horns in songs. I can't stand modern hip-hop (Drake, Riahanna). Reggae doesn't do it for me. My favourite band of recent times is probably Arcade Fire (their old indie stuff right up to their newer electronic stuff, they're a perfect microcosm of what I like), that said it's unlikely I'll pick a song from Arcade Fire as I've heard them so much already. I can't stand some recent indie bands where the lead singer "over sings", Dermot Kennedy comes to mind.

Here's my most played songs of last year to give you an insight:
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1EjoEHcuBO2Go2?si=Gua4YIEjSrC4tzgF_xCY1Q

Categories are:

1: A song you can run/gym to.
    I've done a bit of long distance and weight training over the years so picking a playlist in advance has been a big part of it. Those playlists are like a time machine to those periods in my life. This is a very broad category. Could be anything.

2: Song that is hugely improved by the video
    e.g. Childish Gambino - This Is America, Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk, Jon Hopkins - "Open Eye Signal" . In another life, I think I would have been a film maker. That Childish Gambino song isn't very good at all but the video and multiple listens has drilled it into me. Please no 15 minute epics. I did like that ramstein one in the previous game but it was a bit long.

3: Dance song without lyrics
    Maniac 2000 is one of the worst songs ever conceived imo :pac: Why is that man shouting at me

4: A song from the 80's
    This will be a minefield. I've got a love/hate relationship with this decade. I love some songs but some are goddamn awful and dated. I feel like a lot of new electronic is a hark back to the 80's which has opened up the decade to me.

5: Song from a game
    I almost didn't include this for being too niche but decided to go for it anyway. Could be really tough for those that don't play games much. Can be a cover of a game song. A few examples 1, 2, 3, 4.

6: Guilty pleasure
    A song that you know you shouldn't like but you do anyway. I've always had an aversion to pop music for whatever reason. FM104 and Spin103.8 is poisonous the vast majority of the time but sometimes the likes of Justin Bieber can get through to me (What Do You Mean, Sorry). I'd go for a bassy, electronic song with soft lyrics. I love that Billie Eilish song Bad Guy for example. Surely the target market for her is teenagers, not those in their mid 30's.

That's it for the categories. Please submit links to the songs - Spotify/YouTube etc. so that I can listen to them easily. No deadline or timeline in mind. I will close this when I've got enough or before I get too many :) I'll let you know on the reveal thread whenever I'm ready to reveal each round. Play it by ear.

Please use this google form to enter: https://forms.gle/RJrf6ik4jVvAugPR6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

so in right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

does the victory theme from final fantasy count as a game song?!!

dah dah dah dah dah dahda daaa?!!

does the victory theme from final fantasy count as a game song?!!

dah dah dah dah dah dahda daaa?!!

Oh yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great categories PJ - I think I need some thought on this one - I flew with Ecto's and I think I'm going to regret it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Entered!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

2, 5 and 6 required a lot of thought actually.

There was one I considered for 2 but it's like over 12 mins so I deigned against it ;)

Cheers Necro. It just dawned upon me that I meant to put a link to a google doc. Just made it now. I can input yours manually though.

https://forms.gle/RJrf6ik4jVvAugPR6

I can relink if you like PJ, save you the hassle :)

jesus lads. The music video one is hard. I don't know any music videos!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I am so conflicted right now

I have two perfect pieces of music for the computer game one, but no idea which to submit. One of them would be a similar style to the Skyrim piece, but the other is a wonderful electronic style which would fit your musical preferences really well.

Like, you're obviously going to get both, for your listening enjoyment.... but which to enter for the competition lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'll definitely be in for this! May take me a while to get my list together but no deadline yet woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

with the google form, are you only looking for just the youtube links in the answers field ? Because I have written paragraphs of details describing the reason behind some of the entries I have chosen lol

Rikand wrote: »
    with the google form, are you only looking for just the youtube links in the answers field ? Because I have written paragraphs of details describing the reason behind some of the entries I have chosen lol

Yup you can fit as much as you'd like in there

Rikand wrote: »
    I am so conflicted right now

I have two perfect pieces of music for the computer game one, but no idea which to submit. One of them would be a similar style to the Skyrim piece, but the other is a wonderful electronic style which would fit your musical preferences really well.

Like, you're obviously going to get both, for your listening enjoyment.... but which to enter for the competition lol :D

Ohhh I don't wanna give hints but ... I can't wait to hear both

Yup you can fit as much as you'd like in there

Feck I had stuff written in a pm then I just used links.

Ah well u will prob hate all my picks anyway. There's some weird ones in there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

For the computer game, if I submit a procedurally generated track that is infinitely long, how much will you listen to? :p

tusk wrote: »
    Feck I had stuff written in a pm then I just used links.

Ah well u will prob hate all my picks anyway. There's some weird ones in there :pac:

You can submit again if you'd like

For the computer game, if I submit a procedurally generated track that is infinitely long, how much will you listen to? :p

Infinitely long? I'd listen to the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Entered

Can you do me a favour and take into account people who put up an actual guilty pleasure, it should be something you would be embarrassed to tell people you like e.g. I have a justin Bieber song, I'm not even sorry

Need you to be strong on this PJ

Three sign ups so far. Ecto's was open for around 2 weeks so I'll do roughly the same or until I get to about 10 entries. Very much looking forward to this.

• Advertisement

You can submit again if you'd like

Nah way too lazy hahah.

Think I have my list :)

I'll relisten tomorrow, check I agree with myself and dig out youtube links

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Entered there. Gotta try and defend my title sure :)

Edit: though just remembered this will be after Ecto's so I'm sure it will be gone by then :D

Ah sorry, just remembered you wanted us to submit by the google form. Want me to enter that way instead?

Think I have my list :)

I'll relisten tomorrow, check I agree with myself and dig out youtube links

In :)

Really wrestled with my 80s answer, had dozens try pick from, but stuck with my gut

You'll be pleased to hear I avoided the infinitely long game track!
    (https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/no-mans-sky-music/)

entered good chance of last in this :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm defo gonna enter this so I'm gutted someone already used the bodies daft punk video or that would have 100% been my video choice.

I'm going to have to think about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'm just hoping I get to enter. A bit obsessed with my own at the moment but have a couple of categories sorted.

I’m still going back and forth on changing my 80s one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Done

Advertisement