Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAS student paramedic recruitment 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyharper

Its a lot alright, thankfully I had all the documents to hand. No word on the medical yet, have you heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

Its a lot alright, thankfully I had all the documents to hand. No word on the medical yet, have you heard anything?

Documents and references sorted, luckily I was in work when the reference email was sent out.

My medical is on the 5th in Dublin.

Good stuff, when did you get the medical confirmation, was it arranged after you submitted all your documents??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 donottroll

Good stuff, when did you get the medical confirmation, was it arranged after you submitted all your documents??

Pretty much the day after they requested the documents. So last Friday.
    They said they'd contact you within the coming week.

Maybe give medmark a ring to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scoobasteve123

Are we supposed to get an acknowledgement email after sending required documents? Thanks

• Advertisement

Are we supposed to get an acknowledgement email after sending required documents? Thanks

I didn't get 1 anyway, medical arranged for the 18th. Is that the end of documents we need to send in or is there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scoobasteve123

I didn't get 1 anyway, medical arranged for the 18th. Is that the end of documents we need to send in or is there more?

Just the references now as far as I'm aware.

Just the references now as far as I'm aware.

Good stuff, 2 references gone in and 1 going in on Monday, we won't feel it now and January will land on us

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Jimmy113

Just received a mail to confirm interviews will be the week of the 16th of November. Interviews will be by Webex. Did anyone get the link sent to them to join the calls on Webex?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Newgirl89

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Just received a mail to confirm interviews will be the week of the 16th of November. Interviews will be by Webex. Did anyone get the link sent to them to join the calls on Webex?

Will assume that will come closer to interview time, letters with details of interview we’re posted yesterday as per mail received, so will assum more details will be on that, haven’t seen if letter has arrived as at work. You all set for interview? Any good tips from previous interviewees

• Advertisement

Newgirl89 wrote: »
    Will assume that will come closer to interview time, letters with details of interview we’re posted yesterday as per mail received, so will assum more details will be on that, haven’t seen if letter has arrived as at work. You all set for interview? Any good tips from previous interviewees

Have back ups for each of your competence stories.

Remember what you have done to prepare for the interview i.e asking current people in the job about their day to day experience, getting your C1 license, taking trips to stations.

Think about why you want to be a paramedic with NAS.

Have a quick look over the structure of the organisation. They asked me if I knew who the Medical Director and Director of NAS were.

Also read up on the structure of the Student Para program. How many weeks in the college/placement/hospital/internship etc.

Good luck!

The interview was quite relaxed. Similar to the previous poster, know your stories inside out and have an alternative. The stories are all about what you did and how you achieved the result. Focus on your own thoughts and ideas.
    Fill your head with information about the ambulance service so when a question is asked that you have a good broad knowledge base.
    I learned all about phecc and was able to steer my interview to discuss that.
    Know the structure of the training programme, be able to talk about the vehicles and ambulance response times. It just shows the board that you have taken the time to learn about the service.
    Know about new technologies in the service like e-PCR. the newest vehicles have face time technologies that a paramedic can talk to a consultant via video call, not sure of the correct name of that system.
    I touched on community paramedics, look it up, its a new cross border initiative.
    Know the bread and butter stuff, staff levels, structure, how many emergency calls last year, fleet size and type.
    You are committed and willing to learn. If you are in a voluntary service you can draw from that, pertaining to team work.
    Most of all, be yourself and let your personality shine and the very best of luck.

Thank you so much!!
    Have back ups for each of your competence stories.

Remember what you have done to prepare for the interview i.e asking current people in the job about their day to day experience, getting your C1 license, taking trips to stations.

Think about why you want to be a paramedic with NAS.

Have a quick look over the structure of the organisation. They asked me if I knew who the Medical Director and Director of NAS were.

Also read up on the structure of the Student Para program. How many weeks in the college/placement/hospital/internship etc.

Good luck!

Thanks a million! Looking forward to getting it all done now, it’s been a long wait since aptitude in March
    The interview was quite relaxed. Similar to the previous poster, know your stories inside out and have an alternative. The stories are all about what you did and how you achieved the result. Focus on your own thoughts and ideas.
    Fill your head with information about the ambulance service so when a question is asked that you have a good broad knowledge base.
    I learned all about phecc and was able to steer my interview to discuss that.
    Know the structure of the training programme, be able to talk about the vehicles and ambulance response times. It just shows the board that you have taken the time to learn about the service.
    Know about new technologies in the service like e-PCR. the newest vehicles have face time technologies that a paramedic can talk to a consultant via video call, not sure of the correct name of that system.
    I touched on community paramedics, look it up, its a new cross border initiative.
    Know the bread and butter stuff, staff levels, structure, how many emergency calls last year, fleet size and type.
    You are committed and willing to learn. If you are in a voluntary service you can draw from that, pertaining to team work.
    Most of all, be yourself and let your personality shine and the very best of luck.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back once the interviews have been completed? Is it weeks or months?

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back once the interviews have been completed? Is it weeks or months?

Its weeks, you'll get a letter with your panel place.

Its weeks, you'll get a letter with your panel place.

Is it true you can wait until the next class is run if you don’t want to accept the first class intake?

Yes, that's correct, equally if you don't want dublin, you can wait for your number to come up for galway.

Anybody go for the medical yet?
    What did it involve?

Do they do an eyesight test? What about fitness/step test?

I'm in next week, there's no fitness test, unless you're over a certain BMI, that's what I've heard. Eye test, hearing test, peak flow, pretty run of the mill stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TheOriginalJ

How is everybody getting on , exciting times ahead for all starting in January, is there many getting down to study beforehand? I see on the Garda pages they tend to create WhatsApp group for classes starting, it's a good way of sharing any tips , study methods etc. Is there many here starting in galway in January.

I'm starting in galway this January, I'd be very open to a WhatsApp group. I am learning the medications at the minute, its been recommended by a good few people already in NAS, also looking over CPGS, I didn't study science before so looking at YouTube tutorials on the different body systems.

I'm starting in galway this January, I'd be very open to a WhatsApp group. I am learning the medications at the minute, its been recommended by a good few people already in NAS, also looking over CPGS, I didn't study science before so looking at YouTube tutorials on the different body systems.

Ah fair play, meds definitely worth knowing, also the heart, if we got a few more interested we could start a WhatsApp group.

donottroll wrote: »
    Anybody go for the medical yet?
    What did it involve?

Do they do an eyesight test? What about fitness/step test?

I had mine last week, wasn't bad at all.

Eyesight, hearing, blood test, tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the last 10 years, urine test, BP, BMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭MN_Medic

You should also download a copy of the Paramedic education and training standards from the PHECC website. You can use it to guide your study going forward once you start the course. The medication formulary is a good place to start before beginning. I would focus on that and begin the A&P study with the basics of the cell, tissues, organs, systems and how they relate to each other and anatomical terms. That's pretty much where the course will start after CFR, Health and Safety, ethics, etc.

MN_Medic wrote: »
    You should also download a copy of the Paramedic education and training standards from the PHECC website. You can use it to guide your study going forward once you start the course. The medication formulary is a good place to start before beginning. I would focus on that and begin the A&P study with the basics of the cell, tissues, organs, systems and how they relate to each other and anatomical terms. That's pretty much where the course will start after CFR, Health and Safety, ethics, etc.

Thanks, I just want to hit the ground running. Are you a student P?

Thanks, I just want to hit the ground running. Are you a student P?

I was a long time ago :-)

I was a long time ago :-)
    I'll be having nightmares tonight after reading the paramedic education and training standards!

I'll be having nightmares tonight after reading the paramedic education and training standards!

Cheer's lads

• Advertisement

Anybody coming from a non medical background into the job?

I'm coming from non medical, I did the EMT course a few years back so have a little bit of a headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roxy5

Yeah I am the same, no medical knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoghan2410

Hi guys, I know there will be a while before they do another recruitment drive. I have my eye on applying when It does open again. I was just wondering will I be at a serious disadvantage as I have no “paramedic experience”. I have recently graduated with a science degree and have worked part time as I went along but no experience with in the sector. Will I still have a chance or would it be seen as necessary to get in as obviously there will be a lot of strong applicants. Any help is really appreciated !

Eoghan2410 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I know there will be a while before they do another recruitment drive. I have my eye on applying when It does open again. I was just wondering will I be at a serious disadvantage as I have no “paramedic experience”. I have recently graduated with a science degree and have worked part time as I went along but no experience with in the sector. Will I still have a chance or would it be seen as necessary to get in as obviously there will be a lot of strong applicants. Any help is really appreciated !

You don't need any ambulance or emergency service etc experience.

Anybody from any kind of background will be considered as long as you show your competencies in the application form and the interview and do a bit of research about NAS and the course.

Eoghan2410 wrote: »

You're not disadvantaged in anyway not coming from a prehospital, First Aid, responder background. Paramedicine is a science with practical hands on applications. You'll do fine as most of the students in each course are like yourself.

• Advertisement

They actually say that the people from non medical backgrounds do better on the course than those coming from even ambulance backgrounds.
    I don't know how that works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoghan2410

Thanks a mill for the reply’s guys. It’s something I’ll definately be applying for when it comes around ! Was something I always wanted to apply for once I had finished my degree but wasn’t sure would I immediately get disregarded for not having the prehospital backround. It’s really appreciated. Good luck to everyone involved atm !

I was thinking the same, I think those with experience might become a bit complacent, sure I already know that kind of attitude. I'm hoping not being that guy though.

I was thinking the same, I think those with experience might become a bit complacent, sure I already know that kind of attitude. I'm hoping not being that guy though.

From what I hear they won't allow that happen

Looking forward to getting started. Do you think we'll be wearing masks full time in the classroom?

• Advertisement

From what I hear they won't allow that happen
    Yes. This is going to be quite a tough course. I hear the pressure will be immense.

Looking forward to getting started. Do you think we'll be wearing masks full time in the classroom?

Without a doubt.

Yes. This is going to be quite a tough course. I hear the pressure will be immense.

Without a doubt.

Absolutely lads tough course but I'm sure will be a lot of fun along the way, I'd say masks if doing anything hands on for sure, we prob all have to be covid tested before starting

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Baby S 85

A little bit off topic here, trying to find information on career progression as a paramedic once qualified, anyone know if the NAS has SORT/HART teams or offer any training courses in this area. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems very interesting. I'm about ten steps ahead of myself here but sure have to ask.

Baby S 85 wrote: »
    A little bit off topic here, trying to find information on career progression as a paramedic once qualified, anyone know if the NAS has SORT/HART teams or offer any training courses in this area. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems very interesting. I'm about ten steps ahead of myself here but sure have to ask.

Once qualified as a paramedic and after a period of time post qualication you can progress to the advanced Paramedic, community paramedic or critical care paramedic programs. You may need to be an AP to apply for critical care. There is an incident response team (IRT) who train with the gardai, coast guard etc. and are dispatched to serious and major incidents that require their expertise.

Once qualified as a paramedic and after a period of time post qualication you can progress to the advanced Paramedic, community paramedic or critical care paramedic programs. You may need to be an AP to apply for critical care. There is an incident response team (IRT) who train with the gardai, coast guard etc. and are dispatched to serious and major incidents that require their expertise.
    Thanks for the reply, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Baby S 85 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Just to chime in on this. The competition for these roles is quite large.

It's not like the guards where there's many opportunities to get into. The ambulance service is quite small in comparison.

Just to chime in on this. The competition for these roles is quite large.

It's not like the guards where there's many opportunities to get into. The ambulance service is quite small in comparison.

Sure as long as the opportunities are there, that's all you can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cathal1264

Thanks for bringing up critical care paramedic, iv been trying to research how to progress onto this once you become an AP and other aspects like is it a phd,what’s involved etc ...but there seems to be no info about it,could u shed some light on it ?

cathal1264 wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing up critical care paramedic, iv been trying to research how to progress onto this once you become an AP and other aspects like is it a phd,what’s involved etc ...but there seems to be no info about it,could u shed some light on it ?

An internal recruitment is carried where qualified AP's can apply. The first critical care paramedic course started a few weeks ago and there is currently a recruitment for more at the moment. It's not a PhD but I am guessing it's a post graduate diploma year on top of the AP. As it's in it's infancy there is not allot of information available on it, however, a job specification was sent around, similar to the student paramedic recruitment document, and it's impressive and highly skilled.

An internal recruitment is carried where qualified AP's can apply. The first critical care paramedic course started a few weeks ago and there is currently a recruitment for more at the moment. It's not a PhD but I am guessing it's a post graduate diploma year on top of the AP. As it's in it's infancy there is not allot of information available on it, however, a job specification was sent around, similar to the student paramedic recruitment document, and it's impressive and highly skilled.
    Just wondering if you have any information on the role/roles within the IRT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement