Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asked to leave zara!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's one of the funniest things I've read today.

An abercrombie hoodie? Because that shows that you're obviously a high-class individual who would never steal. Nobody who wears Abercrombie could do anything wrong.

It's a brand name. And a pretty bland one at that. It doesn't mean **** all. Just because they overcharge for the hoodies doesn't mean you're somehow a special case or anything.

I think you're missing the point. He's saying the only reason he thinks he might have been thrown out is because the clerk (or random nut job) assumed something about his personality or identity because of what he was wearing, i.e. people who wear hoodies are scum. Assuming the clerk was using this logic then it's also a stereotype that Abercrombie hoodies are only worn by middle class teenagers, who aren't perceived to be scum.

He's only suggesting it's a possibility that this person made a judgement on his character based on what he was wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

I think that's exactly the point Jeff was making, hence I also find the inital wide-eyed statement quite hilarious.

Bbbbut - I'm like, middle class like! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

the_future wrote:
    surely this cant be legal.

I don't know where you get that idea, particularly as noone actually forced you to leave.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm still leaning towards the sweaty thing. I can't think of any other reason why you'd be asked to leave unless you were causing some kind of olfactory disturbance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 the_future

ok, if anyones wondering, i went back yesterday to see the manager, and he was baffled by the story too. he said that theres going to be an investigation carried out, about what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

eh.... he has a right to ask you to leave.

John

why does he have a right to ask me to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Cause it's his shop, or he's incharge of it...... And he has the right to ask you to leave a private property. Once he doesn't touch you.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Because it's the law...

Management reserves the right to refuse admission?

Or like, have you never seen that sign like?

So what, some security guard asked you to leave, you and your friend were probably acting the mick - what's so confusing about this? :rolleyes:

If you're unhappy with your service dont shop there again.

you clearly dont understand what i am saying.

i went back to the manager yesterday to say everything that happened, and he was very apologetic, and said and seemed baffled that this had actually happened, and assured me to not be put off shopping there because of this.

i wasnt "acting the mick", as i have already made clear on numerous occasions in this post. i had spent 240 euro in the shop within 48 hours of the incident, was looking to buy more, and i was asked to leave for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Unless the manager fully knows what happens, he will always be very apologetic and say that it will be looked into. It's what a manager does. I've worked in a shop and had people be pissed off about something. Despite the fact that I was right the manager would sometimes take to customers side because the way they see it, is that unless he is nice to the customer, they might not come back and might tell their friends

the_future wrote:

the only reason i can think of, is because i was wearing a hoodie.... but it was an abercrombie hoodie!!

A hoody is a hoody,I am afraid.Would not really wear Abercrombie hoody.Everybody has them and they are becoming chavish.Abercrombie's other clothes are way nice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

This hoody thing is getting a bit ridiculous.
    The fact that the it was Abercrombie is irrelevant. I think what the poster was trying to allude to, was the fact that he appeared like a respectable person. In daily life, tons of young people wear hoodies, but it can still be fairly easy to tell their social class/address.
    A gross generalisation, I know, but by and large true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Bluetonic wrote:
    Learn what defamation of character is before giving someone advice like that.
    Ok, then Bluetonic, explain it to me then??? I was looking at my law notes on Defamation from college when I came across this post. Notes given to me by my lecturer who is a lawyer who sued a British retail outlet successfully over a similar incident!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation#Privilege_and_malice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Zara hasnt doin anything legally wrong, altho they have given off a poor impression of themselves. Defamation doesnt apply here.

If you went back the next day and the manager profusely apologies then you have to consider it case closed. Although you do seem to think you're great cos you wear some brand name hoodie and your mate is like a solicitor so maybe you should chill a bit!

joking aside, when i was 20 i would probably be goin flipper too but as you get older you realise that its the shop who loses and not you.

you were a fool for buying the shirt tho.

if you feel tha strongely about it, write them an old fashion letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

quick question, had you taken a shower after the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

dceire wrote:
    Ok, then Bluetonic, explain it to me then??? I was looking at my law notes on Defamation from college when I came across this post. Notes given to me by my lecturer who is a lawyer who sued a British retail outlet successfully over a similar incident!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation#Privilege_and_malice
    I only ignored your comment the first time as it appeared you had no idea what you were on about. The fact you it appears you may study law is kinda worrying.
    Try looking it up again, then, more importantly, look to see how it would apply (or wouldn't) in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Dceire, defamation does not apply here. One reason of many is that his image hasn't been lowered in the eyes of the public. No one knows he was removed or that he was asked to leave for stealing.

Defamation also requires an element of untruth. I don't recall any lies being told or being announced to those surrounding him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

IMO you should go back in again, in a suit (preferably a better/nicer one than theirs') and see the Manager again, to ask him for an update on his 'investigation'. You must have a right to know about something that involves YOU...!? Bring someone with you, someone intimidating...
    Sangre wrote:
    Dceire, defamation does not apply here. One reason of many is that his image hasn't been lowered in the eyes of the public. No one knows he was removed
    His image may have been lowered in the eyes of his friend, a member of the public...

His image hasn't been lowered. His friend doesn't think any less of him because of it.

Unless you have a case citation for that I'm highly sceptical. Truth is a complete defence of defamation. If his card was in fact declined then he couldn't have a case.

It would be different if they said it was declined because he had no money (and it was in reality just a faulty card). Cards get declined all the time (I know I work in a bank), if shops were open to such liability they wouldn't ask for them.

Humiliation doesn't not equal defamation. Defamation is the spreading of lies about someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

deleted-simu

I don't suppose you have a case citation for that? I'd be quite curious as to read the legal reasoning behind. It might have an element I don't see or it might have been a wrongly decided case that would fail on appeal. The only thing I can think of was they said it was declined as he had insufficient funds (and couldn't know this).

I'm curious because I've done this topic at undergrad and postgrad level and I've never heard of this case or any similar one.

Personally I'd drop this unless I was going back to the store for another reason. Then I might mention it to the manager, tbh, I've enough things to worry about then someone who was probably just trying to do his job. Of course, I wouldn't have left in the first place and would have demanded to see the manager.

Advertisement