Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

SCOL wrote: »
    I thought I did buy the 48v

I'd say you did, the 36v was the amount the battery was charged, when at 100 it will read 54.something. Make sure you change the setting in your display to 48v

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I think I got the 36v battery.

I'll have to go back to them and get it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You bought the battery and the motor at the same time from the same shop? If so, they should have copped on they were a mismatch :(
    I'd say you did, the 36v was the amount the battery was charged, when at 100 it will read 54.something.

Nah. If the battery were a 48V nominal battery (13S), then a reading of 36V would mean just 2.7V per battery. Which means they are beyond dead and can go straight into the recycle bin. He bought a 36V battery alright.

unkel wrote: »
    You bought the battery and the motor at the same time from the same shop? If so, they should have copped on they were a mismatch :(

Nah. If the battery were a 48V nominal battery (13S), then a reading of 36V would mean just 2.7V per battery. Which means they are beyond dead and can go straight into the recycle bin. He bought a 36V battery alright.

I bought both off PSW power a few days apart, I've sent an e-mail to them
    so I'll see how I get on.

Hopefully they'll help you out, out of courtesy. I found them good to deal with. When I pointed out to them that something on their website wasn't clear and was open to mis-interpretation, they promptly changed their website and used my suggested replacement text verbatim :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

I think I got the 36v battery.

I'll have to go back to them and get it changed.

You`ll have fun if you have to send it back

loughside wrote: »
    You`ll have fun if you have to send it back

I got onto PWS Power about the battery. They asked me to drop ship it to another customer. I had to take a hit on the postage, anyway I'm waiting on it to be delivered and they said they will refund me the money so I can make a new order for the 48v battery.

I got the escooter batteries today, so I'm planning on connecting these in series
    and use this as a back up. It has a red and black wire and also another set of wires with a plug.

Anyone have tip on how to do this ?

I got onto PWS Power about the battery. They asked me to drop ship it to another customer. I had to take a hit on the postage, anyway I'm waiting on it to be delivered and they said they will refund me the money so I can make a new order for the 48v battery.

I got the escooter batteries today, so I'm planning on connecting these in series
    and use this as a back up. It has a red and black wire and also another set of wires with a plug.

Anyone have tip on how to do this ?

See attached batteries

PWS are in the process of refunding me the money as I bought the 36v battery, I hope the get it back within the next few days
    and then I need to re-order.

Is there much of a difference in buying the 13aH,14.5aH or 17.5aH battery ?

Not sure what your question is. The higher the capacity, the longer your range (and presumably the more expensive the battery)

Fat bike sold, and also the 29er hardtail that I had hoped to convert to mid drive, but had a fancy pressfit BB, so I abandoned that plan. Finally have a bit of space in my shed. Will probably play with the massive adult 1000W 48V scooter next. See how it behaves when on 59V batteries :D

• Advertisement

Not sure what your question is. The higher the capacity, the longer your range (and presumably the more expensive the battery) :D

I know it probably hard to say but generally how much more distance would you get per aH ?

How long is a piece of string? Depends completely on the circumstances. Your weight, what bike you have, how fast you want to go, what the terrain is, what tyre pressure you have, what tyres you have, how much you are assisting the bike or are you running purely on throttle. What motor you have, what voltage your battery is, are you on the flat or climbing a mountain? And I'm probably forgetting several other major factors.

1Ah could be 100m or 100km...

How long is a piece of string? Depends completely on the circumstances. Your weight, what bike you have, how fast you want to go, what the terrain is, what tyre pressure you have, what tyres you have, how much you are assisting the bike or are you running purely on throttle. What motor you have, what voltage your battery is, are you on the flat or climbing a mountain? And I'm probably forgetting several other major factors.

1Ah could be 100m or 100km...

There is €130 difference between the 13aH and the 17.5aH
    my commute is about 15 miles. Is it worth paying the extra money ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

PWS are in the process of refunding me the money as I bought the 36v battery, I hope the get it back within the next few days
    and then I need to re-order.

Is there much of a difference in buying the 13aH,14.5aH or 17.5aH battery ?

I got the 17.5 it's good but quite big and weighty

I connected 2 hoverboard batteries in series for the bike and it's working great
    now I need to buy a charger.

Do I buy a 29.4v charger and charge each pack up separate ?
    or is it possible to charge them up at the same time ?

You can charge them up at the same time. That's what I do. You will need a 58.8V charger.

You can charge them up at the same time. That's what I do. You will need a 58.8V charger.

Great thanks.

I got all sorted out with exchanging the 36v to 48v battery. Came to work today for the
    first time on the e-bike. happy with the performance.

Unkel,

How many e-scooter packs do you use to make up your battery ? I have 2 is series but I'm thinking of getting 4 in total.
    2 each parallel and them connect in series.

Nice one!

Up to you really, the beauty of the scooter packs (apart from them being exceptionally cheap) is that they can easily be paralleled for more range. Two is only a nominal 52V 6Ah pack, which is ok for short ranges. Get 4 for longer range (12Ah), or 6 for even longer again range (18Ah)

I have two, I'm waiting on the charger to be delivered. I'm think of getting another 2 packs and making up a 4 pack battery as a spare
    as I'm hoping to do a few long trips this summer.

• Advertisement

I have two, I'm waiting on the charger to be delivered. I'm think of getting another 2 packs and making up a 4 pack battery as a spare
    as I'm hoping to do a few long trips this summer.

I might need to get a set of 6 packes !!! I ran out of power on the way home last night, just had to cycle the last 2/3 miles. I got into work yesterday with about 15-20% in the battery charged it up for about 3 hours at work.

How long do I need to charge it for ? there is a red and green light on it, do I keep it plugged in until the green light goes on ?

Yep. Green light = fully charged

How long that takes depends on how powerful your charger is. Mine is 3A, so it takes 2 hours to charge a 6Ah battery from empty to full. Or 1 hour if the battery was still half full. You could consider buying an additional charger (€5 - €20) and leaving it in work. Far cheaper solution and saves weight on the bike too (and awkwardness packing all those batteries)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lads, im late to the party....

my 5 year c2work is up and could do with a pedal assist ebike now... broken back ,arms and leg will do that to ya, lol.

can i buy a bike over the 1k mark using the bike2work scheme and just pay the difference? has anyone ever done that before?

Unkel, what kinda price did it cost you for pack and motor to do the fat bike?

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bought a Fiido D2S on Amazon last week.

Arrived on Monday and have been out and about on it a good few times now and have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Three 'pedal assist' settings. With gentle pedalling the 1st setting is around 10Kmph, 2nd setting 15Kmph or so and the 3rd around 20Kmph. There's a twist throttle on it also and using that alone maxes out at 22Kmph with no pedalling, and maybe 27-28Kmph with pedalling.

Only has 16" wheels but great fun to use overall. Not something for long range use, more made for scooting around town and the like, Folds up and so could be brought on public transport. Although I'd recommend getting one of the Halford's bags for fold-up cycles if thinking of getting one and doing that too often as it's not the most compact in that regard.

Rangewise I did 50Km on one charge and that was mostly using pedal assist setting 2. Just using throttle and you'd maybe get 20km on a full charge.

It's a 6-Speed but you can get the bike without gears (the D2 model, the S is in D2S is for 'shifting') but I wouldn't recommend it as should your battery run out, and it will, you'll surely need them given the bike's weight (19Kg). Also has Disc brakes front and back and the saddle is just about right for this kind of bike.

Surprised I'm the first on Boards to have one as I've seen quite a few about and they've been pretty popular in Europe for quite some time. Lots of reviews on YouTube. Have heard mixed reports on long term battery use though (it's a 36v, 7.8Ah) and so be interested to hear from others who maybe have had experience with one for a bit of time and if they've had any of the recharge issues reported.

Here's the review which made me want to get one:

Note: the D2 model had key start, a phone holder and phone charging - the D2S has none of these.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my 5 year c2work is up and could do with a pedal assist ebike now... broken back ,arms and leg will do that to ya, lol.

can i buy a bike over the 1k mark using the bike2work scheme and just pay the difference? has anyone ever done that before?

Yep, you can do that. Maximum tax relief is capped at the €1,000 base though.
    Unkel, what kinda price did it cost you for pack and motor to do the fat bike?

It really is as (in)expensive as you want it to be. I recently bought a conversion kit which set me back about €130 including delivery. Add €90 worth of batteries and a few connectors and a charger and any old bike you have lying around and you have an electric bike with a pretty easy DIY project

I also have a nearly new (1 year old) folding electric mountain bike coming up for sale soon too, once I get the brand new batteries for it which are on their way to me. This will be cheap, around the EUR450 mark for the complete bike with battery and charger, all-in

In the middle you can do a mid drive conversion from about EUR500 + bike + battery and at the high end you can also buy a dedicated electric mountain bike and easily spend EUR6k-10k on a good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

did you have to widen the mongoose forks to fit the fat wheels? i know skinny wheels would give better speed and range but they do look awsome!

did you have to widen the mongoose forks to fit the fat wheels?

Yes I did. In fact I didn't do it myself, my man in the bike shop did it. It wasn't an easy job and he also had to use spacers for it to properly fit. He also laced the motor into the fat bike wheel and he upgraded the brakes and the shifter.

The following bike just sold on Ebay and this line from the description made me laugh :p

"There's no gears on the bike as it's way to fast to pedal, I only pedal from standing start for 3 turns then I fake pedal to make it look like I'm riding a push bike, The bike can be used without electric but it's like trying to ride a mountain bike with a very fat passenger on the back .."

beast.jpg

GBP215 winning bid :eek:

That bike would be pretty much impossible to pedal with a direct drive motor front and rear.

• Advertisement

Local collection only so I'm thinking maybe someone just bought it for the motors.

Advertisement