Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

Would you not be better off buying spring calvers for good value? Do you normally supply winter milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

visatorro wrote: »
    Would you not be better off buying spring calvers for good value? Do you normally supply winter milk?

No just wondering, not much on dd atm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

are the drug companies playing games lately trying to.stoke purchasing and.creat panic buying.at the moment you have a shortage of sealers another crowd its lepto vac is scarce a crowd today ringing up to book my rotovac.heard some one else say salmonella scarce.is it a game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

K.G. wrote: »
    are the drug companies playing games lately trying to.stoke purchasing and.creat panic buying.at the moment you have a shortage of sealers another crowd its lepto vac is scarce a crowd today ringing up to book my rotovac.heard some one else say salmonella scarce.is it a game

Add cephaguard dry cow to that list too. Seems to be shortages when farmers want all above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They are delaying releasing products alright according to lad I deal with, he had too get 80 bobiseal tubes of us two week back to get a lad out of bother as the company wasn’t releasing them till a week after....
    Order everything here a few months in advance it’s a balls having to shell out early for vaccines you don’t need for months but a better option then going to buy it and it not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭alps

visatorro wrote: »

Spring calving stock calving in the spring I would put as questionable quality. Having carried all cows through the winter, for sure only the worst will get sold.

At least there is some chance that fresh calves cows now have somehow fallen out of sync and may not now fit the system and get sold for this reason as opposed to potential. They may if course be less fertile but a good look at records would show a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Add cephaguard dry cow to that list too. Seems to be shortages when farmers want all above

Yep, I had to get the other 1 day withdrawal tube this year. Cephafim or something.

Reading a few articles lately about ireland emission levels, are we going to see a scrapping of derogation/culling of dairy cows to meet targets. Or do ye think things will continue as is? I'm considering increasing cow numbers abit and was wondering what will happen in the future..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Reading a few articles lately about ireland emission levels, are we going to see a scrapping of derogation/culling of dairy cows to meet targets. Or do ye think things will continue as is? I'm considering increasing cow numbers abit and was wondering what will happen in the future..

Big Phil is making alot of noise alright , their will be another 4 years to be got before any real pressure is put on to cap/reduce numbers, I wouldn’t personally be thinking long term 10 years plus you’ll get away with running anything over 170kgs/ha nitrate wise their could even be a reference year like Holland come into play going forward

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Big Phil is making alot of noise alright , their will be another 4 years to be got before any real pressure is put on to cap/reduce numbers, I wouldn’t personally be thinking long term 10 years plus you’ll get away with running anything over 170kgs/ha nitrate wise their could even be a reference year like Holland come into play going forward

Was thinking a reference year is possible, slurry storage could be a big one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Things will continue as is.

If you look at the country as a whole there's not that really, that many dairy cows in the country.
    The densest area is west cork and cork.
    Followed by the northeast.

There was a teagasc map of Ireland on Twitter showing dairy cows, soil carbon.
    But I can't find it now.

ithe young flashed something up in front of me last night to say that tbe emissions from cows.was.not now thought to be doing any damage .could have been a waterford whisper but maybe someone else saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

ithe young flashed something up in front of me last night to say that tbe emissions from cows.was.not now thought to be doing any damage .could have been a waterford whisper but maybe someone else saw it

The methane side of things is fairly questionable which is about 60% of emissions, nitrous oxide though is another story as well as soil carbon if that's ever looked at properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Is it questionable or just downright wrong

There is an increasing volume of evidence coming out that scientists have been totally wrong on methane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Panch18 wrote: »
    Is it questionable or just downright wrong

There is an increasing volume of evidence coming out that scientists have been totally wrong on methane

Dunno, I wouldn't know enough about that sort of thing to be sure. A lot of the "experts" don't either, most of them only follow the equations given by the IPCC to calculate emissions

it wasnt that but similar.

Sold my culls out of the parlour this morning. Got 370 average. They were worth at least 200 extra last year but sure I got alot of milk out of them. Need to try to stretch what silage I have now for the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Are there is people tight for silage out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reggie. wrote: »

Yep and can’t get over how blaze some are regarding it ,one line I keep hearing is sure we had a great backend and we’ll surely get a good spring ,I wouldn’t like to be on the hunt next March/April .seems to be a bit for sale on done deal I’d buy now if I was short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yep and can’t get over how blaze some are regarding it ,one line I keep hearing is sure we had a great backend and we’ll surely get a good spring ,I wouldn’t like to be on the hunt next March/April .seems to be a bit for sale on done deal I’d buy now if I was short

Aragh but there was a great autumn though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Aragh but there was a great autumn though!:)

My dry cows are still out. 50 cows in it now. Some saving on silage. Never had them out this late and happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dry cows are still out. 50 cows in it now. Some saving on silage. Never had them out this late and happy out

Out on grass or just fed outside? Got all the drys and incalf heifers still out on 3 or 4ac of sandy ground, getting bales and ground conditions absolutely fantastic for them. Maiden calves still on grass, I'll tip away with them there for now as its still growing a good 10 across the farm, and calves only eating about 3, but I'd be pulling the plug if they were eating away at the afc.

On fodder, still tight but I'm in a hell of alot better position than I was back in sept, I got rid of all culls, late calving and any beef animals and bought in some feed. As things stand that's all given me breeding room to buy in more incalf heifers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    Out on grass or just fed outside? Got all the drys and incalf heifers still out on 3 or 4ac of sandy ground, getting bales and ground conditions absolutely fantastic for them. Maiden calves still on grass, I'll tip away with them there for now as its still growing a good 10 across the farm, and calves only eating about 3, but I'd be pulling the plug if they were eating away at the afc.

On fodder, still tight but I'm in a hell of alot better position than I was back in sept, I got rid of all culls, late calving and any beef animals and bought in some feed. As things stand that's all given me breeding room to buy in more incalf heifers now.

Out on grass. No silage fed to dry cows yet. They are grazing silage ground. Last spring I didn't even get to graze this ground before closing as it was so wet. There's plenty of grass on the grazing block for the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Reggie. wrote: »

Yep. I can only feed 8 kg silage per head to have enough till April 10th. Gap being filled with 2 kg straw and 2 kg oats for drys.
    Grass and nuts will fill up the gap when milking.
    Going to be tight but at least I know where I am

We acted quickly here. We knew we weren't within an asses roar of having enough silage, so we made to decision to put in cubicles and use the straw we had bought for feeding. Needed cubicles any way so it was s no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yep. I can only feed 8 kg silage per head to have enough till April 10th. Gap being filled with 2 kg straw and 2 kg oats for drys.
    Grass and nuts will fill up the gap when milking.
    Going to be tight but at least I know where I

Doing similar here, dry cows get one bale of silage and ad lib haylage, the one bale of silage I put along a strip wire so they all get their share. They seem happy out with it in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Looks like exports of calves next year is going to drop like a stone. There's problems with insufficient lairage space at Cherbourg and has to be booked before being allowed onto the boat. And they cannot just drive onto the next lairage like was allowed before either.

And the new ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg won't be operating before May either.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/concern-for-calf-exports-next-spring-426117

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Looks like exports of calves next year is going to drop like a stone. There's problems with insufficient lairage space at Cherbourg and has to be booked before being allowed onto the boat. And they cannot just drive onto the next lairage like was allowed before either.

And the new ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg won't be operating before May either.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/concern-for-calf-exports-next-spring-426117

Sexed b&w semen here and then bb after that so hopefully will mitigate the effects on us.

We'll have to speed up the development of our grass fed veal system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'll be locked up till the start of May anyway so I hope it's sorted before then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement