Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I have echo linked to firestick for some reason “turn on tv” commands have stopped working, nothing happens would it be something to do with the update? Have unlinked/relinked to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

batistuta9 wrote: »
    there was problems a few weeks ago but it's back working fine now.

This is the one I've installed
    https://aapks.com/apk/rte-rte/version/42841347/
    I'm just seeing this now and just checked it. All back working great again. It's brilliant with no adds either. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

VirginMedia player now on the firestick appstore. Now time for RTE to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

Be careful what you wish for. I would rather the ad free version of RTE player we have ahead of any official firestick version with ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Got NowTV to work...
    Deleted NowTV
    Went on UK VPN
    Downloaded NowTV
    Launched and logged in to NowTV while on UK VPN
    Worked fine
    Went Off VPN
    Rebooted NowTV
    Launched NowTV and works fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

Is it possible to get My5 onto Fire stick,if so how-tia

Change your amazon address to UK. Then on the firestick sync your account. My5 will be available to install . Change back your address ðŸ‘

You will need a VPN to watch it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

_John C wrote: »
    Change your amazon address to UK. Then on the firestick sync your account. My5 will be available to install . Change back your address ðŸ‘

You will need a VPN to watch it though.

Ah ok Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Trying to set up a new Firestick Lite ....
    Connected WiFi
    Linked Amazon account but after this it’s sticking on the Prime Video sign up page.
    I’m clicking on continue but it’s completely unresponsive and can’t move beyond this point.
    I’ve rebooted , left in on for 30 mins , even tried the phone app but not getting past this point.
    Has anyone else come across this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

smodgley wrote: »
    Ah ok Thanks for your help

Log into Amazon.co.uk - Account - Devices & Content - Preferences - Change address to a UK one (Pick a well know dept store so you have valid phone number etc.)

The de register device

Restart and re register on startup - UK apps now visible.

• Advertisement

Log into Amazon.co.uk - Account - Devices & Content - Preferences - Change address to a UK one (Pick a well know dept store so you have valid phone number etc.)

The de register device

Restart and re register on startup - UK apps now visible.

I never needed to de register device.

I'd also recommend changing account to US. Sync firestick. Download Roku, Crackle, Pluto tv, Tubi TV.

Change back address, Sync firestick.

VPN also needed for these apps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What's a VPN?

What's a VPN?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058088307/1/#post113781392

Most official tv streaming services e.g. itv hub, My5 will only work for you if your located in their region e.g. UK.

VPN apps present your firestick to the service as been located wherever you want it to.

If you want to watch streaming services that are geolocked just for the uk; you set your vpn app to a UK server location.
    If you want to watch streaming services that are geolocked just for the US ; you set your vpn app to a US server location.

_John C wrote: »
    I never needed to de register device.

Previously I have not had to but literally put BBC I player and ITV hub on my cube yesterday and had to deregister to get the UK app store to show.

Maybe a post brexit change that has finally been implemented?

What's a VPN?

An app that fools the firestick into thinking you are in another country of your choice.

Pretty simple - turn on and turn off systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

What app would ye recommend watching the May 22nd Glastonbury 5 hour stream (€23) on?
    https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/set-times-new-acts-added-for-live-at-worthy-farm-livestream/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

boardtc wrote: »
    What app would ye recommend watching the May 22nd Glastonbury 5 hour stream (€23) on?
    https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/set-times-new-acts-added-for-live-at-worthy-farm-livestream/

Would it work just using the Silk browser? Also don't forget to put your lidl pop-up tent in the living room, wear your docs and charge everyone in room 10Euro each for a burger so you can all have an authentic experience :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tomzolo

Firestick is a waste of money and also unreliable at times, better off buying a dirt cheap laptop and a HDMI cable to plug into your TV and you can download anything you want or simply just stream it.

tomzolo wrote: »
    Firestick is a waste of money and also unreliable at times, better off buying a dirt cheap laptop and a HDMI cable to plug into your TV and you can download anything you want or simply just stream it.

I have 6 firesticks. Much cheaper then 6 laptops. Also, my 4 year old daughter finds it much easier to use a firestick then a laptop.

• Advertisement

You're just failing to properly utilise the fire stick.

Can't blame the device for the humans failings.

They are pretty good, actually very good for the price paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

I have used numerous android boxes and have now replaced them all with firesticks. So easy to use that my 5 year old can use it.
    My in laws tried an android box and found it hard to use. I got them a firestick and they love it.

Aside from having to unplug them maybe once a month and having to do the odd clearing of cache I have found the firestick to be very reliable

Its also messy looking to have a laptop out and open beside the TV so you can stream. I used to do it years (before I knew about android boxes) ago and hated it

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Have 3 of them in the house great piece of kit of you know how to use them, my wife is the ultimate technophobe and can use it no problem I think you just need to give one a proper go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

How would the fire stick compare to a minix neo uh9 does anyone know.

Phil.x wrote: »
    How would the fire stick compare to a minix neo uh9 does anyone know.

Depends on the firestick model of course.

4k superior - also depends on what your wanting it for.

Sideload on firestick means you can add most apps you may need for media streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's nothing correct about that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

NO! people were doing that back in 2010.

Amazon have been selling firesticks for as little as £30 over the last year. They are a very good product.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

"simply just stream it" sums up our firesticks

TheDriver wrote: »
    "simply just stream it" sums up our firesticks

Firesticks are really only limited by their users.

Almost never turn a laptop on these days - no need. They are being made redundant.

Maybe the poster was trying a windup - finding streams on the laptop is so much harder than smart sticks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

This is such an extraordinarily bad take.

Don't waste 30 euro on a firestick. Spend 10 times that or more on a laptop.

Oh right.

Advertisement