Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

its very tough at first but stick with it and it will just click after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

very tempted to purchase the Beta, but is the combat like the first Elite or the crappy Frontier Elite?

also is it worth the cash for the Beta at the moment?

how will the game play for me? on a i7 @ 3.5Ghz \ 8 gigs \ AMD 7870

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

installing the beta now, i thought it wouldnt be available until tomorrow? i just got standard beta upgrade from the Kickstarter.

*EDIT* nevermind lol, i just read the info, as i bought it last week i get the SP access too, nice one

You didn't know? thats funny dude :D If you hadn't installed the launcher tonight you would never have known...

Haha, no, i only got the beta for the Rift, and had the main game from the KS. Ill see if i can use DK1 to set it up for DK2, looks handy enough tbh.
    Glad i did fire it up to get my joystick etc configured.

• Advertisement

You can save your custom controls by copying the custom.binds file from here (reccomended before you update):
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

You can rename that file to anything you want and then it will appear as an option in the controls section

Nice one, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Thinking of getting an Extreme 3D Pro Stick by Logitech for this. Seems cheap and getting good reviews.

Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Noxin wrote: »
    Thinking of getting an Extreme 3D Pro Stick by Logitech for this. Seems cheap and getting good reviews.

Anyone any thoughts?

I have same one and used it for Battlefield 3, after a bit of configuration it worked fine, so I hope it works on Elite as well. I think I have seen a few vids with peeps using it on Elite.

For budget flight sticks, people seem to like the Thrustmaster T-16000M as well and I think you can buy a separate throttle for it later on. Its hard to know dude, I would definitely do some research but if you are concerned then do what I did and buy one second hand on adverts or donedeal. A lot of people buy these and don't use them that much. I got an x52 with throttle for €75 and it works great

Twist rudder is important and I think a separate throttle is important too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is the single player game already in the beta, or is it just a few missions?

Kiith wrote: »
    Is the single player game already in the beta, or is it just a few missions?
    I think the single player is just scenarios at the moment but someone did find a very awkward glitch that opens up singleplayer from one of the scenarios.

The Standard beta is out today so we'll know shortly what is available.

Multiplayer is also available to standard beta today

Standard beta available now:

Nice, hefty changelog as usual (5 posts for the one changelog):
    http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28314

Standard beta available now:

Nice, hefty changelog as usual (5 posts for the one changelog):
    http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28314
    has serious True black issues with the DK2 panel now, tbh its not only just a bit annoying, its more like a colour is off in your view rather than being smuges or blurs like people have said, i reckon its an easy fix( unless its a completely seperate issue lol ).
    Wont get to try the MP till tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I got an unhandled exception error when I attempted to update last night. It was after midnight when I tried and was too tired to do anything about it. I think I'll try a manual uninstall and try it again.

Multiplayer was not working for me when I tried it last night but I read that they got everything stable overnight. Looking forward to getting stuck into it later on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

It didn't get anywhere yesterday.

They went "live", I managed to update my client but when I connected, the online option was red and couldn't be clicked. This lasted about 40 min and after it threw back errors about not being able to contact to Authentication server for the rest of the night so I went to bed.

Those who first manged to connect stayed in and for the most part, people are saying it was amazing.

Looking forward to hopefully getting to test it out this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is there much in the current build of the game lads? and is the game always online with other players? really feeling the need to take my x52 out and give this a blast

oh and is this worth playing without headtracking at the moment? i will get an oculus down the line but ive nothing right now.

hold up just reading through the official forum there and theres a discussion going on about micro transactions! wth this is 60 euro game, thats just greedy in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Feck it I had to pay for the Beta, downloading at the moment :)

I actually cant wait, waiting for a new Elite for 20 odd years (Jasus that made me feel old)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

After much--rater tedious--trading, I finally managed to scrape together the cash to buy a Cobra. Outfitted with some class 4 and 2 pulse lasers, I'm almost ready to go out and do some exploring. Just need to find a class 2 missile rack now.

Speaking of which, be careful of that. The Eagle, while cheap, has a comparable range (in terms of hyperspace jumps) to the Sidewinder. It's the same with the Viper, I believe. What that means is there are many systems too distant to reach, in those ships. The only good thing about all this is tha fuel is ridiculously cheap.

The forums have some good trading routes for starting out but once you've got some capital, I find taking Bertrandite from Morgor to Dahan is a good run, until you can get a Hauler. That'll really help make the money. Then, taking terrain enhancement machinery from Aulin to Eranin is also a good route.
    is there much in the current build of the game lads? and is the game always online with other players? really feeling the need to take my x52 out and give this a blast

Currently there's access to fifty five star systems. Already there's lots to explore with illegal cargo floating about in unidentified signal sources (or sometimes pirates or pilots under attack). At the moment it's online only but on release you can either solo (no other players will ever show up) with access to the online persistent universe or play entirely offline. Playing with the PU means markets can still be influenced by online players.
    hold up just reading through the official forum there and theres a discussion going on about micro transactions! wth this is 60 euro game, thats just greedy in my opinion

In fairness, at present, they're only cosmetic paint jobs. Plus the game won't require a subscription to play online. Thing is, the microtransactions haven't been finalised yet so it remains to be seen what other forms they take.

i could understand micro transactions if the game was 30 euro or less but its a full whack 60 euro, id love to put that down on it as i love the genre but as you said its not finalised, they could end up going to pay to win down the line, and havnt they already announced that there will be full expansions? those will cost money as well! ugh i hate modern game design, its destroying everything

The game will be €40 on release not €60 and microtransactions for paint-jobs are nothing compared to the star citizen model.

whats the star citizen model? i know their selling ships at the moment but i always assumed that was just until release where everything just became accessible with in game currency? probably a bit naive of me.
    But still id like to think that if i am paying 40 quid for a game i can at least differentiate how my ship looks! is it a big deal, no, but it is annoying, just release expansions and il pay for them to support the game, hate how everything in most games these days is just split up to make money

btw anyone know where to get a cheap trackir headset or something comparable

Basically in SC you can pay extra for better ships and upgrades. One option they have in the store is to pay $10,000 for a multi-ship package (the €15,000 packages are sold out :) You could say that it's crazy but you have to admire them for generating €50,000,000 in funding before the game is even released and it shows the hunger for this type of game which probably would not have been made if left to the usual game publisher monopolies.

Frontier struggled without a publisher too as it generated about €2,000,000 from kickstarter, got some private funding and then floated on the stock exchange. That is the sort of risk these developers have to take so I don't mind if they have to use microtransactions (although Elite's seems to be a lot more fair and not pay to win)

cheap headtracker: http://edtracker.org.uk/ works really well but you will want an enclosure for it (tic-tac box works well) and someone who can put an extra bit of solder on the USB connector to stop it snapping off - or maybe ask them to do it before they post it.

meh im just anti dlc/micro transactions, i like to just pay up front for something which doesnt really seem to be an option anymore :( surely SC doesnt need to use micro transactions with the amount of funding they have received from people?
    and id say ED has done pretty well for itself as well

think il buy ED tonight though :o X reunion was a disappointment and i really need a space sim to play, is it hard to play without head tracking?

I played with just mouse and keyboard for ages with no problems once I got used to it. Have a go and then watch some youtube videos as there are some key things you have to know that make manoeuvering a lot easier. It takes a lot of patience at the start though so don't assume you'll pick it up straight away.

Oh yeah, this should give you anidea of what it costs to make a game these days:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

well i have a saitek x52 pro stick and throttle so that should be pretty cool, although whether i can be bothered to set it all up at the moment is questionable :D

well i have a saitek x52 pro stick and throttle so that should be pretty cool, although whether i can be bothered to set it all up at the moment is questionable :D

You are sorted so. They have a built in profile for that so its plug and play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Can you not just play ED single player?

Or is it multiplayer only?

Wouldn't care about micros if single player is an option.

Advertisement