Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If works on real hardware, via an Everdrive64, I will give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Nal wrote: »
    Will that work on the N64 emu?

Yep. The patches are for. N64, .z64 and .wad. Details are in the description of that YouTube video

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Nal wrote: »
    Will that work on the N64 emu?

Pretty sure the trailer is based on emulation, the N64's original resolution is not that high

Some of the new things look out of place. Like the chest in that trailer looks like it's from the 3DS remake and put into the original game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Played an hour or so last night of The Missing Link. Pretty good! Plays perfectly. Like a scaled down version of Ocarinas Kokiri Forest and Lost Woods. Some of the actions and puzzles are very non Zelda and Nintendo though. ie things that had no use in Zelda games do here.

Great little project though. A lot of Nintendo love involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Con confirm works on everdrive.

Just finished Missing Link. Overall I liked it.
    Took a bit of getting used to the controls. I'll admit I was using a 360 controller with an emulator, so had to get out of the habit of using the second stick for the camera as I would end up using whatever was assigned to that C-button.
    That and the fact I haven't played a N64 Zelda since just before Majora 3DS was announced
    Decent enough game and I hoped it would avoid what fan mods seem to do a lot and that's make parts that only more skilled/experienced OoT players would get. There were a couple parts I had to look online for. 1 was something related to a move I wouldn't think of using
    To jump across a large gap, have to start a roll just before the jump to barely make it.
    Another part I had to look up was
    a hidden button I likely wouldn't have found
    There is a reliance on
    bombchus which I only ever used before when absolutely necessary
    The new item was an interesting touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I was just looking at the Nintendo Switch store on my computer to see it if it is better to buy games digitally or as cartridges.

If you buy a game digitally is the whole game downloaded or played on a stream? Because the file sizes of 6GB for a Mario or Zelda game seems very small. Even 13 gigs for Breath of the Wild seems small.

Also a few months ago I was going to get out my Nintendo 64 but discovered first it won't look good on current TVs. I found an adaptor that was getting a lot of praise but I didn't bookmark it.

I found this a few minutes ago - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-plug-play-adapter-Nintendo/dp/B07TKF5XBS - but I don't think it is the same gadget I saw before.

Is there other adapters for N64?

I was just looking at the Nintendo Switch store on my computer to see it if it is better to buy games digitally or as cartridges.

If you buy a game digitally is the whole game downloaded or played on a stream? Because the file sizes of 6GB for a Mario or Zelda game seems very small. Even 13 gigs for Breath of the Wild seems small.

Also a few months ago I was going to get out my Nintendo 64 but discovered first it won't look good on current TVs. I found an adaptor that was getting a lot of praise but I didn't bookmark it.

I found this a few minutes ago - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-plug-play-adapter-Nintendo/dp/B07TKF5XBS - but I don't think it is the same gadget I saw before.

Is there other adapters for N64?

Those file sizes are about right. The games are downloaded, not streamed.

Re the N64, yeah I think the Eon Super 64 is a little hdmi thing fore the console, seems to have had a bit of fanfare when released. Seems there's other adapters mentioned here - https://www.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/dy887i/when_will_the_eon_64_for_pal_n64_release/

Inviere wrote: »
    Those file sizes are about right. The games are downloaded, not streamed.

Re the N64, yeah I think the Eon Super 64 is a little hdmi thing fore the console, seems to have had a bit of fanfare when released. Seems there's other adapters mentioned here - https://www.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/dy887i/when_will_the_eon_64_for_pal_n64_release/

How can the game look so good and be of a decent playable site and be such small sizes?

My knowledge of consoles is very limited but Star Wars Battlefront 2 is 20 gigs - needs to be installed on the xBox and needs the disc to be played and it doesn't look as nice as a Mario game.

Am I just not understanding how these work?

Is it better to leave the internal storage of the Switch for their "indie games" and get the Marios, Zelda's etc. on cartridge?

Maybe it is the Eon adaptor that I saw before. It comes up first in a Google search. I would not have looked much further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Nintendo have long been known for game optimization in terms of bringing down file sizes. It's often been out of necessity in terms of needing to fit on a cartridge with limited storage capacity.

manual_man wrote: »
    Nintendo have long been known for game optimization in terms of bringing down file sizes. It's often been out of necessity in terms of needing to fit on a cartridge with limited storage capacity.

So it is simply the Nintendo have the knowledge? With another company these games would be about 20 gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Pretty much. Look at Breath of the Wild. It's only about 12gb. Odyssey is less than 6. Other devs make games with bloated file sizes because they know people have massive hard drives for storage and storage is cheap. Nintendos approach to storage is much different to the competition.

How can the game look so good and be of a decent playable site and be such small sizes?

Texture compression, Nintendo are masters at it. They compress the textures on the game cart to reduce file sizes, & they're decompressed during play on the Switch. This greatly reduces filesizes, meaning games can fit on carts, and downloads are quicker. It does increase load times a little as the textures have to be decompressed, but the nature of solid state media like a cart means the difference won't be overly bad.
    My knowledge of consoles is very limited but Star Wars Battlefront 2 is 20 gigs - needs to be installed on the xBox and needs the disc to be played and it doesn't look as nice as a Mario game.

Am I just not understanding how these work?

As above. From memory some PS4 games have completely uncompressed textures (meaning huge sizes, but reduced load times as the console doesn't need to spend time decompressing them). I think even most PS3 games were uncompressed too, utilising the blu ray discs for huge storage sizes. Xbox will have compression, but a game like Battlefront 2 is a big ask for the Switch, so we can't compare sizes exactly (it's not even out on Switch is it?).

Importantly too, Switch games will often also be quite cut down (graphically) when compared to other platforms like PS4 & XBO. The simple fact is it isn't competing with those machines, so it has to cut a lot of higher details & effects out because it simply can't run them. This will further help to reduce game sizes.
    Is it better to leave the internal storage of the Switch for their "indie games" and get the Marios, Zelda's etc. on cartridge?

Depends on how you play games really. I only ever play one game at a time, so internal storage will offer faster load times over the carts. Then I uninstall a game, & move onto the next. Some people like to have a selection, but at the end of the day it'll make little difference.

Inviere wrote: »
    Texture compression, Nintendo are masters at it. They compress the textures on the game cart to reduce file sizes, & they're decompressed during play on the Switch. This greatly reduces filesizes, meaning games can fit on carts, and downloads are quicker. It does increase load times a little as the textures have to be decompressed, but the nature of solid state media like a cart means the difference won't be overly bad.

As above. From memory some PS4 games have completely uncompressed textures (meaning huge sizes, but reduced load times as the console doesn't need to spend time decompressing them). I think even most PS3 games were uncompressed too, utilising the blu ray discs for huge storage sizes. Xbox will have compression, but a game like Battlefront 2 is a big ask for the Switch, so we can't compare sizes exactly (it's not even out on Switch is it?).

Importantly too, Switch games will often also be quite cut down (graphically) when compared to other platforms like PS4 & XBO. The simple fact is it isn't competing with those machines, so it has to cut a lot of higher details & effects out because it simply can't run them. This will further help to reduce game sizes.

Depends on how you play games really. I only ever play one game at a time, so internal storage will offer faster load times over the carts. Then I uninstall a game, & move onto the next. Some people like to have a selection, but at the end of the day it'll make little difference.

No Battlefront isn't on the Switch but it is the only game I'v played recently so all I had for comparison.

I don't how many games would be switched between but doubt it would be enough to fill it with downloads. You are probably rat that it makes no difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

An Animal Crossing question but perhaps not for the AC threads, is the N64 original game worth getting?
    I see it on Ebay for not much money, I have a region free N64...
    I could buy a copy, I suppose, and stick the english patched version onto my Everdrive 64...

Kind of answering my own questions, I know....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    An Animal Crossing question but perhaps not for the AC threads, is the N64 original game worth getting?
    I see it on Ebay for not much money, I have a region free N64...
    I could buy a copy, I suppose, and stick the english patched version onto my Everdrive 64...

Kind of answering my own questions, I know....

Is a region free N64 the one with the optical drive from Japan or is it something else?

Is a region free N64 the one with the optical drive from Japan or is it something else?

Ah, I apologise, I actually have two N64's, one PAL that I have in storage and the other is a NTSC console that can run everything else, including the Everdrive 64 which is keyed to NTSC, meaning everything runs at a proper speed!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Maybe someone here can answer something for me. Has anyone changed their joycon joysticks themselves?

Have a chance at a switch at a really good price but both joysticks have the drift issue.

I was thinking of buying the kit with the 2 new sticks for 12 euros and replacing them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement

Maybe it doesn't belong here, but what controller is recommended for N64 emulators? While playing the Missing Link, the 360 controller worked grand but not ideal. Like I kept selecting the wrong item from the c buttons as was using the right stick for it. Or what's the best setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe it doesn't belong here, but what controller is recommended for N64 emulators? While playing the Missing Link, the 360 controller worked grand but not ideal. Like I kept selecting the wrong item from the c buttons as was using the right stick for it. Or what's the best setup?

I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayflash-N64-Controller-Adapter-Pc/dp/B002B9FIUU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=30O8VAMR7Z91N&dchild=1&keywords=n64+controller+usb+adapter&qid=1597244477&sprefix=n64+contr%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3 that works well with an original N64 controller. Failing that, I believe there are RetroBit USB versions of the originals too. Might be because I spent so long playing the system as a kid but I can't enjoy using any other controller shape with most N64 games.

CastorTroy wrote: »

I use these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Bit-Tribute-Switch-RetroPie-Raspberry/dp/B07N7S5ZPT/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2BCCXURWGQ0E4&dchild=1&keywords=retrobit+n64&qid=1597300471&sprefix=retrobit+n%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-11

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Some learning curve on all the Nintendo games/systems :D
    The different buttons or controllers required on each system N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U (although I don't know how many games needed the gamepad), if you were to emulate them properly. But fun, less boring for sure.

Suckit wrote: »
    Some learning curve on all the Nintendo games/systems :D
    The different buttons or controllers required on each system N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U (although I don't know how many games needed the gamepad), if you were to emulate them properly. But fun, less boring for sure.

For emulating I use:

Nes & Snes - 8bitDo controllers
    N64 - the above RetroBit controllers
    GameCube - I use an official GameCube adapter for Wii U, plugged into PC (so a real GameCibe controller as Dolphin has native support for them)
    Wii - I use a small circuit/dongle I built using a bluetooth chip from a real Wii, connected to pc via usb, a usb sensor bar for the tv, and a real Wiimote & Nunchuk
    Wii U - I use a Wii U Pro Controller, or an Xbox One controller if being lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

My son has a switch and it all seems to work great but when he's playing Fortnite others cannot hear him talk. He can hear them. All his settings are fine, tried 3 different headsets too.

Is there any way of testing the headphone jack or of confirming its working as expected?

I'd love to get it sorted for him. Only child and with the lockdowns he's loved connecting with his cousins and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

SNES 30 years old and here's a list of classic games as voted by Nintendo life readers ( users or readers , not sure )

https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/feature-best-super-nintendo-snes-games

What a console and what a list of games. Also no patches. Test the hardware / carts, ship 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see that the Game & Watch has been hacked to play other games, including Zelda, Pokemon and SMB 3. :)

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/the_super_mario_bros_game_and_watch_can_now_run_pokemon_zelda_and_more

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr E wrote: »
    I see that the Game & Watch has been hacked to play other games, including Zelda, Pokemon and SMB 3. :)

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/the_super_mario_bros_game_and_watch_can_now_run_pokemon_zelda_and_more

Noticed the following article when I was looking at that one:

Rumour: Resident Evil Revelations 3 Will Be A Switch "Focused" Release, Says Capcom Insider

So yes, it's a rumour, but it came from the guy that said that they were working on a Monster Hunter game for switch that was running in their RE Engine about a month before Monster Hunter: Rise was announced, so it bears at least some weight!

• Advertisement

I noticed some Switch games on Amazon.co.uk are "code in box" (no cartridge)

Do these codes work in Ireland or are they locked to UK-region ?

Thanks

Advertisement