Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

josip wrote: »
    Not disagreeing about the large crowds and small kids but why have it at a later time than the main demonstration?
    It's not a strike if they don't miss any school.

Because small kids will need supervision to walk from monkstown to the town hall

Also is it not more meaningful to do it in their own time as oppose to using it to dose off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

ted1 wrote: »
    Because small kids will need supervision to walk from monkstown to the town hall

Also is it not more meaningful to do it in their own time as oppose to using it to dose off

Why can't they be supervised earlier in the day?

If you see the only purpose of the strike as "dossing off", then you're not giving a lot of the children the respect they deserve and I'm probably wasting my time replying.

If you see the only purpose of the strike as "dossing off", then you're not giving a lot of the children the respect they deserve and I'm probably wasting my time replying.

That’s bollock, but that’s a view that many people in government would have.

I’ll be taking a half day to take the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Done a big revamp, the premises itself is now smaller with no upstairs, they still put on the live music and open nights but now have a great selection of rotating craft beers

Dropped into Dunphys after a visit to IMC recently and was hugely impressed with large selection of craft beers they now serve.

They also seem to have a number of rotating taps e.g. There was a Kinnegar Rye beer on one of those the evening I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I've heard that on Friday there will be a Climate Demonstration in Dun Laoghaire by local schools.
    It's being suggested by the schools as an alternative to the one in town because it will be less busy for younger children.
    But it strikes me as an attempt by the schools to undermine the one in town. The DL one is scheduled for after schools close which renders the whole point of the 'strike' meaningless.
    Maybe if the little bastards walked to school every day there would be no need for the climate ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

bullpost wrote: »
    Dropped into Dunphys after a visit to IMC recently and was hugely impressed with large selection of craft beers they now serve.

They also seem to have a number of rotating taps e.g. There was a Kinnegar Rye beer on one of those the evening I was there.

Yeah I love Dunphys but they've had a major fruit fly problem lately, had to leave after 2 pints last time I was there, shame because it's one of a few pubs you can have a few beers in absolute peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Edgware wrote: »
    Maybe if the little bastards walked to school every day there would be no need for the climate ****e

I run most days after work at 2 and am always forced onto the cycle paths and roads from kids walking from school, but there is a visible increase in family wagons on Kill Ave too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I run most days after work at 2 and am always forced onto the cycle paths and roads from kids walking from school, but there is a visible increase in family wagons on Kill Ave too

I live near a primary school and at starting and finishing time its like the beaches of Normandy on D Day with the amount of 4 x 4s unloading 1 or 2 kids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Anyone know what's being built on the site of the Cumberland Inn. Finally seems to be some building work going on there been derelict for about 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Joker2019 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's being built on the site of the Cumberland Inn. Finally seems to be some building work going on there been derelict for about 15 years.

A healthcare facility according to the planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^^ This article is wildly inaccurate.

The Govt didn't ALSO announce a 400k feasibility study, they ONLY announced a feasibility study.

The €8 million (or 40 million in Childrens Hospital inflation) will have to be found once the project is designed and gets planning approval. I'd say minimum 5 years away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Cannot wait to see the NIMBYS lose their minds over this fantastic looking development at the old St Michael's car park. 102 units, the views from which would be incredible!

1824496_DunLaoghaire_V15_RevH-Boosted.jpg

^^^ looks great.

Aye, bang on, just the spot for it. In the end the height may be reduced in planning to match the adjoining property, but it's a nice enough design.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hopefully the height won't be reduced, the sooner we realise we need to build up in this country the better.

Very nice design actually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A prime location indeed.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My Gran was in St Michaels for a few months last year. Her ward effectively had that view. Can confirm it was absolutely class.

I'm all for taller heights in the right setting, but as a planner I've seen this as common practice to apply for excessive height as a distraction perhaps from other issues, only to be granted lower at the level which was the objective of the developer in the first place.

There are a few landmark taller public buildings on the DL seafront, but the county development plan and urban framework plan for Dun Laoghaire town make me think they'll probably get 8 stories max rather than 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd suspect they'll likely get 8 as well, that'd put it one above the neighbouring building - so a lot more continuous looking.

• Advertisement

What’s the height relative to city hall tower , library , and church towers ? Isn’t St Michaels elevated. So on the inland side the development won’t look high.

The library is 29m, Town Hall clock tower is 36m. At 12 storeys proposed you are looking at around 36m also. I think the residential skyline versus the landmark public and historic skyline is pretty well established, I don't think it will be granted 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Anyone know where you can still get take away coffee in Dún Laoghaire?

Yes: https://casperandgiumbinis.ie/

You can get take away coffee there

Missy Moops is I've just discovered. Also selling flour for anyone who can't get it in the supermarket.

Also Shoe Lane just reopened for takeaway yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Missing Le chocolat de Frèd the most. That spicey hot chocolate they do is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Well done to the two lads in Costello Hardware, very happy to get my gas cylinder for the Mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've heard JJ Darboven is open for coffee, but I'm yet to see them trading myself.

Insomnia at Meadows and Byrne is open for sure. Evidenced by all cups left all over the place by lazy feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

roroliam wrote: »
    Well done to the two lads in Costello Hardware, very happy to get my gas cylinder for the Mother.

I don't think I have ever gone to Costellos and not got what I wanted or a perfect equivalent. For such a small area they seem to have a huge range of stock.

Advertisement