Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

bring back the ship, bring back the ship:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Plenty of Tall ships out there this morning getting ready for the weekend.

Couple docked out at the back of the east pier and 2 more where the HSS used to be

https://tallshipsnetwork.com/events/tall-ships-dublin-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Mig wrote: »
    Plenty of Tall ships out there this morning getting ready for the weekend.

Couple docked out at the back of the east pier and 2 more where the HSS used to be

https://tallshipsnetwork.com/events/tall-ships-dublin-2018/

Just in case anyone thinks they will be in DL at the weekend, this is from the link posted above ...

Over the June Bank Holiday weekend, the smaller ships can be viewed in Grand Canal Dock and the larger ships will be berthed on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay. The public are welcome to visit some of the ships on Saturday and Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not too late to demolish the shopping centre, sell the site and build a mixed use scheme with mostly residential to the seaward side, some high spec offices and a street front retail aspect with high quality finishes to echo the victorian buildings opposite. (i.e. totally unlike the cr@p that was built in front of Bloomfields opposite the hospital). Even if what Ive heard may occupy the revamped large units in the SC comes to pass, I dont think large retail will thrive there and DLSC is an eyesore no matter what way you slice it. DL should be looking to be distinct from Dundrum, not trying to ape a poor impression of it.

If anything dundrum is copying Dun Laoghaire, Dun Laoghaire is much older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I never heard such rubbish in my life, its the same nonsense on the "You know Youre from DL" facebook page. Its a feckin harbour. Half the shops up the main street are decaying and very few from the locality can afford to buy a home where they grew up and people are losing their s**t over a ship, in a harbour of all places!! Ridiculous DL Nimbyism knows no limits....

For the record, DL Harbour Company still look for suitable commercial traffic to generate revenue. All the silos for the Guinness site upgrade were brought in through DL 5 or 6 years ago, you still see dredgers and small cruise ships coming and going. Its not as if they are going to mount this vessel in concrete and leave it permanently as modern art!!!

It's hardly nibyism. DL is unsuitable for these ships it's a pleasure harbour these days not a work on harbour. I wouldn't mind if the ship was actually serving a purpose in the harbour such as transporting passengers or cargo but it's not it was literally just moored because they couldn't afford the charge Dublin port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I never heard such rubbish in my life, its the same nonsense on the "You know Youre from DL" facebook page. Its a feckin harbour. Half the shops up the main street are decaying and very few from the locality can afford to buy a home where they grew up and people are losing their s**t over a ship, in a harbour of all places!! Ridiculous DL Nimbyism knows no limits....

For the record, DL Harbour Company still look for suitable commercial traffic to generate revenue. All the silos for the Guinness site upgrade were brought in through DL 5 or 6 years ago, you still see dredgers and small cruise ships coming and going. Its not as if they are going to mount this vessel in concrete and leave it permanently as modern art!!!

It's hardly nibyism. DL is unsuitable for these ships it's a pleasure harbour these days not a work on harbour. I wouldn't mind if the ship was actually serving a purpose in the harbour such as transporting passengers or cargo but it's not it was literally just moored because they couldn't afford the charge Dublin port.
    How’s it unsuitable, it’s no as if it’s a roro unloading lots of trucks. What it is doing is paying berthing fees at a time when they are needed to pay for repairs from the storm and other damage to the east pier

ted1 wrote: »
    How’s it unsuitable, it’s no as if it’s a roro unloading lots of trucks. What it is doing is paying berthing fees at a time when they are needed to pay for repairs from the storm and other damage to the east pier

It's an eyesore it looks out of place in an otherwise attractive harbour. DL is a pleasure harbour not a commercial or industrial one. This ship looks like it belongs in a harbour designed for much larger ships. If DLR controlled the harbour paying to repair the storm damage wouldn't be an issue. DL harbour is no longer a commercial harbour it's a pleasure/tourism harbour now.

It's an eyesore it looks out of place in an otherwise attractive harbour. DL is a pleasure harbour not a commercial or industrial one. This ship looks like it belongs in a harbour designed for much larger ships. If DLR controlled the harbour paying to repair the storm damage wouldn't be an issue. DL harbour is no longer a commercial harbour it's a pleasure/tourism harbour now.
    If dlrcoco controlled it our property tax would be 30% higher.
    It’s a large harbour designed for boats personally I love seen the boat there. It’s like seen a steam engine pass on the railway tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Can't see what the big fuss is about. I liked having a big boat in the harbour for a few days. Kinda miss it now that it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Just back after a few weeks. Total amazeballs to see that the upper deck of the E. Pier is still closed. What an irony in this classically perfect "promenading" weather :rolleyes:

Quite rightly, the area under the sun shelter is out of bounds. There was damage to the glass canopy and to the ground under it which definitely needs reinstatement.

However, why is the rest of the upper level from the sun shelter to the lighthouse closed ?

BTW in relation to ships remember that the original character of Kingstown Harbour - as it was then - was that of a harbour of refuge or asylum. That saw many strange and wonderful vessels coming to visit. If only we had something as elegant as those to view. Look at these two examples ;

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=51yEz7wF&id=57B7A4C54190C1E5A5C3226E7E5E5EF26D40C095&thid=OIP.51yEz7wFJhfnkFVE4VrKMQHaFG&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F5%2F4131%2F4840615396_e539e378fa_b.jpg&exph=648&expw=941&q=kingstown+harbour+photographs&simid=608020041221998542&selectedindex=2&ajaxhist=0

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=pvd1P5d%2F&id=EF054647AFD5F77B05918037BD56AA56B2061788&thid=OIP.pvd1P5d_wSnbbNOwQuGRgQHaFz&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fn7.alamy.com%2Fzooms%2F3889eec0077b4a478e277b5035026c5c%2Fthe-harbor-kingstown-county-dublin-ireland-loc-d5f5g9.jpg&exph=501&expw=640&q=kingstown+harbour+photographs&simid=608009424132181327&selectedindex=3&ajaxhist=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    However, why is the rest of the upper level from the sun shelter to the lighthouse closed ?

the storm knocked out a lot of concrete that filled in gaps between the paving slabs. Gaps of about 50cm. Probably a trip hazard. Of course that doesn't excuse not fixing it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is there any hurdy gurdys or the Big Wheel down by the sea this year?

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Quite rightly, the area under the sun shelter is out of bounds. There was damage to the glass canopy and to the ground under it which definitely needs reinstatement.

There was damage at more than one spot on the upper level. You need to stand on one of the benches on the lower level to see it but its not confined to the area of the sunshelter.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Is there any hurdy gurdys or the Big Wheel down by the sea this year?

Funfair at the harbour until Sunday July 8th.....

http://dlharbour.ie/event/summer-funfair-returns-to-carlisle-pier/

A new inflatable on water obstacle course is opening up in the harbour for the summer for children and adults. Open for public sessions aswell as hen/stag parties and corporate events. Noticed it when I was walking the pier the other evening.

http://harboursplash.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

A new inflatable on water obstacle course is opening up in the harbour for the summer for children and adults. Open for public sessions aswell as hen/stag parties and corporate events. Noticed it when I was walking the pier the other evening.

http://harboursplash.ie

Was wondering what that was when I passed it the other day on the bus.

Looks tiny compared to the one in Dunmore east and the Hudson Bay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Great news. Sick and tired of cafes being central to all developments in DL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Great news. Sick and tired of cafes being central to all developments in DL

And yet, it's still pretty hard to get a cup of coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

errlloyd wrote: »
    And yet, it's still pretty hard to get a cup of coffee.

Its all mugs and plastic containers every where you go nowadays, one place even serves it up in a glass. Hard to get a good old fashioned cup anymore for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Not true. Have you been to Baileys and Pimms. Fab coffee. Fabulous decor.

No mirrors in the bathroom on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Two beans serve the best coffee I've had in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Two beans serve the best coffee I've had in Ireland.

I'll second this. The little cakes are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've heard rumours on the grapevine lately that Wetherspoons / The Forty Foot has been sold, possibly to Paddy McKillen Jr. Anyone know if this is accurate, and if so, are the Spooner's days numbered? Nothing about it in any public media and the staff there didn't know anything about it when I asked. I do seem to remember it was "for sale" a year or two ago, but with a "tenant not affected" caveat - not really sure what that means in terms of longevity or how long a "tenant not affected" agreement actually binds a buyer from kicking them out?

Would really miss the place if it closed down and got replaced by yet another overpriced bar, but at the same time it's so ridiculously successful that I find it somewhat hard to believe Wetherspoons would have been willing to sell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The tech hub gets the go ahead in Dun Laoghaire harbour.
    A proposal to turn the former Dún Laoghaire Ferry Terminal into a “digital technology hub” which could support up to 1,000 jobs and 50 companies has received planning permission.

The project’s developer, Philip Gannon, says he intends to invest €20 million to transform the abandoned building on St Michael’s Pier into the “harbour innovation campus”. It will be the largest technology hub in Ireland and one of the five largest in Europe, he said.

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council granted permission on Tuesday for the project to go ahead.

The ferry terminal has lain empty since 2015 when sailings ceased. Under the terms of the planning permission the outside of the building will remain the same while the 7,000 square metre interior will be transformed into a campus for technology companies, similar to the Digital Hub in Dublin city centre.

The project will be funded through private investment. Mr Gannon said he estimates it will generate €15 million in rents and rates over the next decade while the new jobs will contribute about €6 million a year to the local economy.

The developers expect the campus to open in spring 2019. The refit of the building is to begin next month.

Mr Gannon says he also intends to open smaller regional harbour digital innovation hubs across Ireland over the next three years.

“This culturally significant building has been lying empty for over four years and . . . will now become world-class innovation space,” Mr Gannon said.

Minister of State for Trade and Employment Pat Breen welcomed the decision to grant planning permission.

“The type of co-operation between large multinationals, SMEs and academics that occurs in these hubs can generate exciting opportunities,” he said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/tech-hub-for-former-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-ferry-terminal-gets-green-light-1.3582265

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I noticed the start of erection of scaffolding at the sun shelter yesterday. One lives in hope of some action to fix it all and get that upper deck open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Contractors seem to have no removed all glass from the sun shelter and to be dismantling the entire framework of the shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

Photos from 4th Sept and, today, 16th Sept.

2643sp0.jpg

x55vv7.jpg

r0s60n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peardrops155

Dun Laoghaire Vinyl Festival coming up in November. Mixture talks and dj sets. Worth a look. Good to see more happening in the town.

Advertisement