Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irelands fittest family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this, but the cross-country runner families seem to do disproportionately well in this.

Makes me look at running (which I hate with a passion, but had me at my fittest when I did a bit of it, very badly, a while back) in a whole different light!

The "pure strength" families never seem to do well although a lot of the tasks would seem to suit them.

Yes because most task are endurance based. A lot of gym work is for adding muscle. Muscle that needs a serious amount of oxygen in longer events. Like the Lipinski man flew the first tyre last week but he slowed considerably on his second tyre. Sucking for air.

Farming families have won 5 out of 6 seasons as they generally are aerobically fit and also have 'natural' strength and flexibility as the work tasks hit all areas of the body. All types of lifting, pulling, dragging, tasks needing endurance. A total Gym team never won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Someone in RTE is a fan of Deus Ex as themes of two of the games were in today's episode

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Would they ever sort out the headgear they make them wear? :confused:

Every eliminator seems to have someone arriving at the end with their helmet skewways, until tonight someone actually managed to lose one.

And how there aren't endless appeals over helmet cams getting caught in netting is beyond me. I wonder is it optional for them to wear them, or do some just get them, like it or not?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

And how there aren't endless appeals over helmet cams getting caught in netting is beyond me. I wonder is it optional for them to wear them, or do some just get them, like it or not?

Maybe one member of each team has to wear one, which would ensure that each team is at the same level of inconvenience / disadvantage.

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »
    Yep, he was never getting up that ramp. Davy then forcing him on up it even after they'd lost was fairly cruel.

I don't think that's really the point though. I'm sure the family wanted to complete the task themselves.

If you went through the process of applying for Ireland's Fittest Family then there's a competitive nature present in the family. Naturally you'd want to complete the task regardless of whether your went through or not. Ok you had lost but it would be compounded if you said a here we give up we won't even complete the challenge. Also you're on national tv.

The ramp is on every year's show, it's an integral part of it. Not being able to get your family up it when you knew in advance that more than likely you'd face it would look a bit ridiculous.

Also the idea of being on Ireland's fittest family and giving up at the end and not seeing something through are incompatible. If your attitude was one of giving up and not seeing something through, with a lack of pride in your performance, why were you there in the first place.

After what the Lipinskis went through to get selected, vertigo, the tyre challenge etc i'm sure they want to go out completing the task, not as quitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The ramp is on every year's show, it's an integral part of it. Not being able to get your family up it when you knew in advance that more than likely you'd face it would look a bit ridiculous.

Very true. Id go one further and say the family that wins the eliminator tends to get up the ramp pretty quickly with very few unsuccessful attempts. Id speculate that some families have built similar contraptions at home to practice on.

Anyway Im really enjoying this years series. The families showing up seem to be getting better and better year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anna geary makes it more about herself than the contestants

Shhhh thats why we watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I don't think that's really the point though. I'm sure the family wanted to complete the task themselves.

If you went through the process of applying for Ireland's Fittest Family then there's a competitive nature present in the family. Naturally you'd want to complete the task regardless of whether your went through or not. Ok you had lost but it would be compounded if you said a here we give up we won't even complete the challenge. Also you're on national tv.

Also the idea of being on Ireland's fittest family and giving up at the end and not seeing something through are incompatible. If your attitude was one of giving up and not seeing something through, with a lack of pride in your performance, why were you there in the first place.

After what the Lipinskis went through to get selected, vertigo, the tyre challenge etc i'm sure they want to go out completing the task, not as quitters.

I agree with every word you've written except that guy was never getting up that ramp in a month of Sundays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Mc Love wrote: »
    Shhhh thats why we watch it!

I love her. The camera and production team have upped her lovely bum views by about 1000% percent this series too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I love her. The camera and production team have upped her lovely bum views by about 1000% percent this series too :D

Yes this has definitely made it a lot more interesting! :cool:

I agree with every word you've written except that guy was never getting up that ramp in a month of Sundays

But he did get up... eventually 😂 Thanks to his son Oscar who was one of the best individuals on the show any year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

But he did get up... eventually 😂 Thanks to his son Oscar who was one of the best individuals on the show any year.

Did he? The big polish guy from Tipp?

Did he? The big polish guy from Tipp?

He did. I heard from cousins on one family. They may not have shown it on tv alright.

Good episode earlier tonight. I thought the Lallys would do well but the two lads just couldnt get over that 3m wall. They did in the end but the race was well over by then.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Good episode earlier tonight. I thought the Lallys would do well but the two lads just couldnt get over that 3m wall. They did in the end but the race was well over by then.

That ice bath thing is cruel, - then they're trying to climb the wall with frozen fingers and slippy shoes. It's a seriously tough course.

I have such admiration for the families who enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

inthehat wrote: »
    That ice bath thing is cruel, - then they're trying to climb the wall with frozen fingers and slippy shoes. It's a seriously tough course.

I have such admiration for the families who enter.

I was thinking that they should have boxed clever and took off their tshirts and wiped down their shoes and hands before attempting those walls.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Muahahaha wrote: »

I felt so sorry for them last night , you could see the frustration at not managing to get over the wall , building up with every attempt .

Tough course in fairness .

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yes this has definitely made it a lot more interesting! :cool:

I think ye need a dip in the ice bath:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I felt so sorry for them last night , you could see the frustration at not managing to get over the wall , building up with every attempt .

Tough course in fairness .
    It was painful to watch! But the right hand side of the wall was dry and muck free - a bit of 'hold on a second' would have helped them see it - and dopey Donnacha!

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    It was painful to watch! But the right hand side of the wall was dry and muck free - a bit of 'hold on a second' would have helped them see it - and dopey Donnacha!

Dopey here too , never thought of that either :o
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I thought the Lally were very disappointing throughout the series. Three big men and they struggled with the wall and previously with the ramp.

Delighted the McDonnells got through, they’re a really likeable family

I’d say the Lawlor’s are probably favourites. I’d love to see the mother from the Coneys win it, she is some bit of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

"The three brothers are all postmen ... but will they deliver now"

Thought that log carrying eliminator was a bit unfair- the family in pink had the inside line up the narrow ramps so it was impossible to overtake them on the outside- the space just wasnt there to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone that can handle getting hoisted up in that void under the Cusack gets a bualadh bos mór from me.

This looks like it's going to be a tough Final challenge , best of luck to them both !

Oh my lordie , that was one extremely close finish !

Well done to the Coneys for winning :)
    And to our local family for such a close second place .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Couldn't get a closer, more exciting finale than that. It really is a great show.

Davy going absolutely mental at losing makes it all the better :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I honestly cannot fathom how this sh1te appeals to anyone, though it clearly holds the attention of a fair few.

To have Davy Fitzgerald shriek at you as you traverse a muddy pool in the arse-end of nowhere would only pass as entertainment, if you could get out & pursue him through the woods in an attempt to catch & strangle him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Kathryn Thomas is such a dose.

Advertisement